09-22-2012 03:00 AM
248 ... 34567 ...
tools
    use the regular google voice search its fast and stable
    08-10-2012 06:09 AM
    the screen is designed poorly. it rolls up to the bezel . almost level with the edge. no protection from a minor fall to the ground. fell from my lap as i sat in a chair and chipped it right on edge. then sent a crack right through the middle.
    08-10-2012 06:12 AM
    Re: email apps...I found a couple of weeks ago an email app named "Aqua Mail" https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....kman.AquaMail
    Using to access a POP account and a work IMAP account. I am VERY pleased thus far. Tons of settings, a great widget, just all around very happy with it. Using it on a Samsung GS III.

Bluetooth - when connected to audio out does not work properly.
    USB - no in car audio streaming, which makes me use the audio out in the first place.
    Keyboard - none as good as iPhone. Swiftkey 3 not bad.
    Email - can't find an email app as good as iPhone. Tried several including k9, gmail, stock and inomail.

Otherwise I really like it and am happy with my decision to go with it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    08-10-2012 06:12 AM
    I'm sitting here reading all the issues that folks are having and I'm thinking i must have got lucky, as I have none of the issues folks are complaining about.I rooted it shortly after getting it, but have since put it back to stock, and I love it.

There are things that could have been better designed, like the physical home button, the placement of the back button. Do you really think that the speaker on a phone is going to be great? Invest in a set of quality headphone if you plan to listen to music.

I love my white SIII and have no complaints about it.
    08-10-2012 06:20 AM
    So far, I have to agree with some people, I worry that the physical button may go with time. I would have loved having it capacative. I won't go into apps comparison because the OP question was about the GS3 specific, not Android.

There are more things I like about the phone than dislike!
    08-10-2012 06:21 AM
    I wish the phone was thicker, holding the phone can be difficult.

Wireless calling funks out on me from time to time. Though to be honest, I did root almost as soon as I got it... because TMo wanted to charge me to tether, for the little I wanted to use it.
    I use FoxFi and wifi tether works fine. For free!
    On vzw grandfathered plan.
    08-10-2012 06:56 AM
    For GS3 OWNERS ONLY

What don't you like about this amazing phone?

No phone is flawless, so what are the flaw of this one?

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!
    I want my damn google wallet to work
    08-10-2012 06:58 AM
    My biggest complaint is the data connection.
    4G sucks everywhere else except NYC area.
    Even when its connected to 4G and 3 bars antenna, web won't connect or it will lag out and then reset to 3g then back to 4G and be slow again.

Data signal keeps dropping and is never strong, to the point I have to call verizon to see if there's a fix or its a bad radio in the phone.

Wifi keeps dropping/resetting.

Rest of the phone is just awesome.
    bgl321 likes this.
    08-10-2012 07:00 AM
    The camera at the highest resolution stutters slightly and the video appears to be snagging. It's very annoying. I've returned it 4 times to get a good one and it still persists leading me to believe it's an overall problem and not localized. Very disappointed in the camera. The phone runs hot at times, not that it's a big problem. I dislike how the music player handles album art. It just puts a picture of some ugly flower and weeds or something instead of downloading the actual album cover and that's annoying. S Voice is a gimmick, there's no way anyone can say that it works well, it has trouble understanding what I'm asking it and if it can't effectively understand voice commands, it's worthless.. I want to smash it to pieces over the native keyboard, if I get a complete sentence without having to fix every other word it feels like I won a contest. I can make statements like, "I got through a sentence today without errors, no I really did." There's a few more small issues that annoy me, but that's all I can think of right now. I just wish we didn't have to accept the "variant" instead of getting the full blown Quad Core processor. That just sucks. I'm sure the Quad Core would make a huge difference.
    08-10-2012 07:01 AM
    1. Battery sucks, if I have to turn off all of the so-called "smart things" it's not a smart phone.
    2. LAG, oh boy does it lag - Samsung as usual tweaked the hell out of this thing and compared to my Nexus with same apps loaded - this thing sucks
    3. Phone app - On the surface, looks good, but with the lag awful - when phone is locked, call comes in, the answer or cancel options are at best "non-responsive" so I miss many calls. Isn't this what a phone suppose to do is answer and make calls.
    4. Exchange/ Corporate / Activesync mail just kills the "smartphone" functionality. If I get a message while in the phone app, on a call, call stutters and sometimes disconnects.
    5. Wifi - When wifi is enable and I use GPS or try to update an app in Play I get server not responding (every time) if not connected to wifi and outside walking. If wifi is turned off when mobile, works everytime.
    6. Hype - Yes, industry hype, once again, through all the problems with the Vibrant, sgs4g, sgsII guys like AC and all the others gave Sammy the pass by not performing "real world tests" with apps that people use and instead turned their attention to aesthetics and hardware to rival the "i-whatever" instead of giving us the true low-down. I remember when I first deployed MS Windows on pc's and the norm was to reboot the system to "free up" memory. funny how this industry works.

I buy my phone off contract now and try them out to determine whether it will fit my active profession, I then make recommendations to my customers on deciding BYOD and this is not one that will be a recommendation. Yes they sold 9 or 10 mil, but it was and continues to be hype and if you look pass the beauty, pure unsupported crap.

Funny how this industry has evolved. There was a time when I had to "smart" up my dumb phones, but now I'm finding myself "dumbing down" these smart phones. It makes it worse that its a TMo carrier. Go ahead and bash me if needed, but I spend LOADS of money on these devices to make a useability and functionality decision for business users and this one does not live up to the hype. Just my opinion.
    No bashing here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Are you with Verizon? If so, in your opinion, what is the best available Android device?
    08-10-2012 07:38 AM
    Calendar app needs a lot of work IMO.

The screen "seems" to scratch easy but mine has none. Thank god for screen protectors.

Its way to thin for me! So I like my otterbox defender case.

The quality of the power button and volume rockers. (Took 3 phones to get the buttons correct)

Otherwise I love the phone! To me these are all VERY minor issues and are easy to fix.
    08-10-2012 07:40 AM
    Wifi notification popup--very annoying.
    Wifi dropping and reconnecting.
    08-10-2012 08:05 AM
    1. TouchWiz, period (switched to CM9 almost immediately upon getting it).
    2. Samsung's general disregard for what Android is all about (see above)
    3. The soft buttons at the bottom (I like the center button as a way to wake up the phone)
    4. The material of the center button scratches easily (at least on pebble blue)
    08-10-2012 08:09 AM
    lol its more the fact that its not in the middle so when ur watchin youtube with the phone in landscape mode ur finger either covers it or bounces the sound in mad directions lol headphones r essential
    True that drove me nuts when I was on youtube yesterday,my finger kept covering it.
    08-10-2012 08:30 AM
    Alrighty, first things first:

I love my GS3, I really do. It's a universal step up from my Nokia N81 GB which got to a deviating state (Screen turns white if I slide it and can only be turned back to normal by restarting the phone ... and the viruses that phone carried).

That said, it has a couple of problems that I would like to see fixed through future updates if possible:

1) TouchWiz: This is a pretty cool looking theme, but it's not as practical as I found the stock ICS theme to be. As a result I ended up downloading Go Launcher EX and using the stock ICS theme they offer. In addition, TouchWiz is when sliding between the screen menus. It's laggy when leaving a big app (Game or such). If Samsung wants me to use it, they will have to do better.

2) The screen rotation: It's annoying. It just is ... I have to keep it turned off at most times. Problem 3 continues this:

3) The Video Player/Youtube App: It doesn't auto-rotate. The videoplayer can only rotate to the one side if you don't have the "Auto-rotation" option on. Youtube doesn't rotate at all ... AND there is no "enlarge" button for the video. So unless you have the option of rotation on you won't get a full screen.

4) S-Voice: Whether it's my accent (English is not my first langauge) I don't know, but it just doesn't seem to recognize 98% of what I say.

5) Auto-brightness: It feels like in certain apps the brightness is way too low and it might turn higher for few seconds before turning back low.

6) The default browser: It feels generic, it crashes quiet often.

7) Certain apps seems to not work with the GS3 because of certain things in the GS3 itself. An example is the App2SD.e

I know I have more complaints, but the device is pretty damn good. Either Samsung can find a way to solve these problems or I will just have to work around them: I ain't getting rid of this phone any time soon
    08-10-2012 08:40 AM
    For some reason i get spam notifications.... does anyone else get this or know how to switch it off? Also I'll get emergency broadcast texts even on airplane mode.
    it will be an ad supported app youve installed pushing ads to the phone
    08-10-2012 08:51 AM
    We all love ICS....Jelly belly is for the hobbits.....Hope one day you get yours....As to the trumped Storage devic3e user......Sad day.....visit the pro desk, we be wicked rocking and running way ahead of you inquirer....hit us up when you are legit.....
    is there something wrong with u lol?
    08-10-2012 08:55 AM
    I read through a few pages, so I don't know if my gripes have all been stated or not..here it goes. I'm coming from a DINC with CM7 installed on it. Most of my gripes stem from the fact that I can't adjust options I'm used to with CM.

1. Phone screen turns on when I receive a text. When I'm running I take LOTS of screencaps when its in my pocket. Just wish I could turn that off. It's not even a useful feature. Maybe if it displayed the text on the lock screen?

2. Not a very strong screen. I was under the mistaken impression this had gorilla glass. Guess not, my screen is getting marked up. I should have used a screen protector.

3. Reception is worse than my DINC.

4. The blue paint is chipping underneath the plastic coating somehow. Never dropped the phone or anything. But I can see what color the phone used to be.

5. Music playing in the background mutes when I get a notification (used to be able to fix this in CM)

6. Stock keyboard is beyond terrible. Way past.

7. Battery life is Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hyde. Some days god awful, other days pretty good. Same habits, same apps. Wildly different results.

8. S voice unuseable in car. Doesn't tune out white noise effectively.

Don't get me wrong, there's alot of stuff I like about the phone too. I just don't love it like I thought or was hoping I would. Some of the items I listed may be fixable and I haven't found it yet. In that case..my bad
    BillJr106 likes this.
    08-10-2012 08:58 AM
    Apps and games don't run as buttery smooth as my GS2, mostly thanks to a only slightly faster CPU and significantly more screen real estate/resolution. I expected a larger leap in processor speed, and battery life isn't on par with my GS2. I like the phone however, and it really makes me look forward to a GS4 being a phone that makes me not need an upgrade for a while. If the GS4 next year has a true HD screen, not pentile, but a true Super Amoled HD Plus screen, faster quad core Exynos 5, or 6 by then, and battery life simply on par with the GS2, or to be the end all phone on par with the Maxx, and a 12 MP camera, and I think that would allow me to not upgrade for the full two years required to get to me next upgrade.
    08-10-2012 09:03 AM
    you have some excelent advice man and i respect that but u come across as very negative and unfriendly why take the time to bump up a thread u dont like lol?
    exactly lol he's always so negative. Probably needs to go to an iphone forum to cheer on his friends over there
    08-10-2012 09:17 AM
    i totally love my GS3
    08-10-2012 09:20 AM
    I find the screen flickers when I add widgets or enter text messages. The back button is not consistently responsive. There is some lag with screen transitions but nothing terrible. TW is finally growing on me.

Honestly, aside from that, its a great phone. Excellent battery life and beautiful screen.
    08-10-2012 09:21 AM
    I hated the physical home button. I didn't like the feel of the phone - it was just too thin and light I think. The phone also kept saying that my SIM card had been removed and then recognized again - I have no idea why this was happening. The wifi dropping issue and horrible cellular reception were the major issues for me, though. I need a phone that will actually work as a phone and be able to hold a data signal and the GS3 just didn't cut it. I ended up returning it for the Maxx and haven't looked back.
    08-10-2012 09:49 AM
    TouchWiz.
    08-10-2012 09:59 AM
    No bashing here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Are you with Verizon? If so, in your opinion, what is the best available Android device?
    I have no hands-on experience with the GS3. I had a Thunderbolt for over a year. A couple of months ago I looked at what was available and what was coming (including the GS3 and the One X) and... I went and got myself a Rezound.

It is World capable (and I do occasionally go to Europe).

It can do simultaneous voice and data over a 3G connection.

It has 4G LTE.

It is the ONLY phone on Verizon that has all 3 of those things.

Beyond that, I run a Nils ICS ROM and I almost always go all day with the stock battery and without having to charge it before I go to bed and put it on the charger then. And that is with leaving WiFi, 4G and Bluetooth turned on all the time. I agree with an earlier post about what's the point of having a smartphone if you have to turn off the "smart" features all the time.
    08-10-2012 10:06 AM
248 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD