Beginners Guide to Fix "Cell Standby" Issue? (Canadian - Rogers)

r2edline

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm brand new to the world of Android. Just made the switch yesterday after several years of iPhones and Blackberrys.

So far I love my Galaxy S3, except this "Cell Standby" battery life issue is killing me. I can't even get through a full day. It is using >30% of my battery life! I talked to Samsung tech support but they aren't very helpful, saying a software fix is "TBD".

I've obviously read the over at xdadevelopers (xda-developers - View Single Post - [FIX] compiled "power_profile.xml" file to fix cell stand by issue), however it doesn't really give step by step instructions for those of us that aren't developers or haven't used Android phones before.

Does anyone have a more simplified version of these instructions?

Do I just connect the phone to my computer to access the files? Or do I need specific software to do so?

Sorry for the noob type questions. I really appreciate the help. :D

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Beginners Guide to Fix "Cell Standby" Issue? (Canadian - Roge

If I understand the thread you posted correctly... it's saying there actually isn't a problem with Cell Standby... and that it's actually just being over-reported?

r2edline

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site

My understanding of the thread on xdadevelopers is that the cell standby is draining the battery abnormally because the file power_profile.xml is instructing it to use more power than necessary (34 mA instead of 3.4 mA). Appears to be a typo by the original developer (Samsung or whoever).

The result, at least in my case, is that the cell standby feature is using 30% of my battery life, more than the screen which is at 22%, which is ridiculous.

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site

I'm on Telus and the cell standby is ALWAYS the biggest contributor to battery drain. Example today I toofed my dad's camp so I haven't barely played with the phone and the battery is sitting at 66% with is 50% cell standby and 20% screen (screen has been one for 40 minutes).

r2edline

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site

I'm on Telus and the cell standby is ALWAYS the biggest contributor to battery drain. Example today I toofed my dad's camp so I haven't barely played with the phone and the battery is sitting at 66% with is 50% cell standby and 20% screen (screen has been one for 40 minutes).

I know what you mean, ridiculously annoying. Mine isn't as bad as yours, but I'm still getting 30-40% cell standby usage.

Any fix for you by chance?