So glad I didn't get the HTC One X

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I for one already see the burn-in on my few months old SG3.

When my screen is black like just before it loads an app/game but the screen is backlit, if I hold my phone in portrait mode, on the left center of the screen is a large "D"

I can't really think of where it came from or any apps I've run that would make the D linger around but I can definitely see it. It's not very pronounced and you have to be in a dark room and the screen all blacked out to see it, but it's there.

Too bad you saying that won't be proof enough to the OP that it actually happens. :p

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
By your own logic, then, it would be fair to not take your word on anything, since you haven't posted any actual evidence of anything, other than a link to a thread listing issues with a phone that I own, and that I already knew had issues (or could have issues going into it).

A few pages back it was argued that you implied your phone can't/won't/didn't/hasn't had issues, and maybe your particular one hasn't, but other S3's have. The fact that you don't see the obvious outcome of that part of the discussion doesn't matter, because it happened.

Some things are just facts regardless of if you want to admit it or not. All phones have issues. That's a FACT.

Now your making things up. I advised people to look at the HTC One X forum before making up their minds. I didn't ask anyone to take my word on anything except perhaps that I'm glad I didn't purchase the phone.

"A few pages back it was argued that you implied your phone can't/won't/didn't/hasn't had issues, and maybe your particular one hasn't, but other S3's have. The fact that you don't see the obvious outcome of that part of the discussion doesn't matter, because it happened." What happened?? You still haven't cited where I said or implied that the Galaxy S3 had no bugs or performance issues. I ask anyone reading these post to cite any example that I said that. Why is it so difficult for you to deal in facts?

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I get enough of the fighting at CB, the interOS fighting is just as silly.

All tech has issues. It's the name of the game.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
THAT is your example?? ONE post on that moeny grubbing "Askmefast" site that Google has been putting at the top because they paid for it? There aren't even any responses to the question other than one reply by "Anonymous". With all due respect - weak, uber weak.

Rev.

I hope anyone who is interested visits the site you referenced. If this is your proof that the issue is wide spread then you don't know the meaning of wide spread. Can you provide a source that list a multitude of users who are having this problem. And how about something more than "I asked Samsung? Your questionable phone from hell and your role as a sycophant for the HTC One X make me doubt your word.

One quick link is all the time it deserves. Anyone can look through forums and find it themselves if they feel the need.

As for talking to Samsung, that's what I do for a living. I won't divulge anything more than this is a known (to Samsung) issue with the settings.db because the tables have been re-arranged to make room for TouchWiz specific settings. It's been present since the original Galaxy S, and is proving very difficult to track down as it doesn't happen every time.

Accept my word, use Google, or pretend it doesn't exist. Doesn't matter to me either way. I guess I could put that on a blog post and make it official, but why bother? It doesn't help the people affected, won't help Samsung fix it, and just garners more hatred to an important Android partner.

One thing not being taken into account, is that I tend to favor Samsung devices over all others. The last couple phones I paid money for were Samsung phones, and I appreciate their screen technology over the "better" screens from LG, HTC, and ASUS. But again, this isn't a discussion over which phone Jerry likes. If it were, it would be in the Nexus S forums. Because of my line of work, I have to use a more current device. The Galaxy S 3 was not the device for me.

And I never pass up a chance to play with a troll in our forums. :)

i must say im glad this "arguement" happened. ive learned stuff and talked to my second favourite AC podcaster :) (soz jerry, i like alex and all the americans speak over him ;) )
heh. Holler at me anytime. I'm just a smartphone nerd at heart. All this "official" stuff for a huge Android blog gets overwhelming sometimes.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I for one already see the burn-in on my few months old SG3.

When my screen is black like just before it loads an app/game but the screen is backlit, if I hold my phone in landscape mode, on the left center of the screen is a large "D"

I can't really think of where it came from or any apps I've run that would make the D linger around but I can definitely see it. It's not very pronounced and you have to be in a dark room and the screen all blacked out to see it, but it's there.
if its visible with a black screen, is it also visible with the screen off?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
....wonder if we could play this to our advantage.... is the outer glass attatched to the display? if so, once our screen is all scratched up we can just leave the phone on for a week at full brightnes and send it back ;)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just visited the HTC One X Forum. Anyone who might be considering getting the One X over the S III should read the problems those guys are having with the One X. I had seriously considered getting the One X but for once I made the right phone decision in getting the S III.

Shouldn't anyone considering buying anything read the forums on it? You did say that you base you buying decision on what is said on the forums, and definitely implied that you didn't get the One X because of the problems people were reporting in the forums.

Furthermore, my first two replies were just illustrating the point that all phones have bugs. And you never answered my questions, which bugs in particular made you definitely not want a One X before even seeing one in person?

Read my original post. Replying to people with factual information and showing where they are inconsistent or untruthful is hardly discrediting. They do that to them selves when they post wrong or misleading information. Please cite where Samsung says they have a screen burn in problem.

A quote from you below should help make this post irrelevant.

Kevin O'Quinn cited screen burn in as a Galaxy S3 flaw. He provided a site that claimed Samsung acknowledged their responsibility for screen burn in and would replace devices that had it at no cost. The article was published on July 12, 2011. I asked him to provide an actual Samsung statement or document (not a third party reference) that stated the above. He hasn't. That's what generated the message you reference.

Wait for it....

"The article was also written July 11, 2012, not July 11, 2011." What the heck does that mean??? Misinformation much? July 11, 2012, not July 11, 2011 When you are on the fail trail you just can't turn back can you. The article that you cited as proof that Samsung will admit it's responsibility for burn in and pledged to provide free repairs was published July 12, 2011, The article stating that Samsung would not take responsibility for burn in was written on July 11 and doesn't back up anything you said.. The update at the bottom of the page had to be written on the July 12 because it references a news item published on the 12 th. Is that really what this discussion has sunk to? Where are the direct cites form Samsung that I have repeatedly asked for? You pull information out of thin air and then revert to side issues when confronted with facts. Either back up your statements or admit you are wrong.

Wait for it.... this is where your "facts" start to fall apart.

tohio, what are you talking about? The article from vr-zone.com was written July 11th, 2012.

The update that was posted from Chosun.com was written the next day.

The only mention on 2011 on that entire page is the copyright.

I remember my first web clicks on the internets...

BOOM!!! I didn't even need to say it. Other members ARE paying attention.

Can you please:

(1) Post the link clearly showing that this article was written in 2011.

(2) And quote the post in which Mr. O'Quinn uses and cites this 2011 article.

Don't think you ever did this.

Year wrong date right. It was 2112 not 2011, July 12 not the 11 th as stated by O'Quinn. Still waiting for the Samsung documents. Still no proof from Mr. O'Quinn that Samsung ever said they would take responsibility for the burn in (Samsung doc or site, not third party info). His references all cite others rather than direct evidence form Samsung.

Lulz at you wanting people to believe that a site posted an article with the wrong year. You want us to believe that instead of just thinking you're wrong.

People believe "third party" sources all the time. You do read Android Central right? Third party source.

Only 1 place on the vr-zone.com link in question has 2011 and it's at the very bottom, the copyright line.

Chosun's link, just look at the url itself, /2012/07/12/2012071201281.html

That's the date it was written. Either I'm completely blind, or there needs to be more L2internet.

Thank you.

Take a look at his second post; he's the one who took offense at the mod's reply.

THIS.

if its visible with a black screen, is it also visible with the screen off?

Isn't a black screen on AMOLED the same as being off? :p

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm really enjoying this thread. Having a great discussion with (some) people that want to learn. This is what I love about our forums.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't know of any screen burn in that is, mainly because when the screen is off all that's visible is the glass above the screen, no? I could be wrong, though.

yeah i just thought since it shows with black colours and black on led displays is basicly the screen in that part off/no power... i think

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
....wonder if we could play this to our advantage.... is the outer glass attatched to the display? if so, once our screen is all scratched up we can just leave the phone on for a week at full brightnes and send it back ;)

lol...I know with my screen (which is essentially the same as the S3's, but not as intense) stuff was caught between it. I had to send back my second refurb because there were red "bits" between the glass and the screen.

That being said, I implore anyone with an AMOLED screen who believes burn in doesn't exist to leave it on something at full brightness for a bit of time. It'll burn in, that's just the nature of the beast.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
cool thanks man. are u gona take samsung up on their offer to replace it?

I don't know.. the only time the screen is totally black and it's visible is the brief moments between you pressing the app icon and it loading. It's not something that I'd go nuts over seeing as my main daily driver device now is my 1X.

Once the SG3 gets updated to JB, I'll switch back and see how it goes..

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
hmm im really looking forward to the expandable notification "shade" shade? ive never heard that before lol :)
jerry will the international gt-i9300 retain the local/global search function? i like it for finding installed apps

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't know.. the only time the screen is totally black and it's visible is the brief moments between you pressing the app icon and it loading. It's not something that I'd go nuts over seeing as my main daily driver device now is my 1X.

Once the SG3 gets updated to JB, I'll switch back and see how it goes..

cool. not something really noticable then. just wait until the screen gets all scratched like i said then ;)