Should you feel bad supporting Samsung (a foreign company)?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone ever feel conflicted supporting a foreign company (Samsung) vs. a home grown American Company (Apple). While I am a strong supporter of Android and always will be sometimes I feel Un - American not supporting an American Company. I think we can all agree that Samsung probably did copy to some degree. Nonetheless, I more than anyone do not like Apple and their culture/products. I guess my patriotism is tugging at me! ;)

BTW, I come from a 2 platform household. I am Android, my wife and 2 daughters are Iphone. I have tried to convince/sway them over to Android but they are not having any of that. In a way I am glad as the first sign of trouble I would be blamed for them going with Android.

Last edited:

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Does that mean that all your electronics are from american companies, especially your TV? Even then, how many products are actually made in the US now anyway? Case in point , the iPhone.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone ever feel conflicted supporting a foreign company (Samsung) vs. a home grown American Company (Apple). While I am a strong supporter of Android and always will be sometimes I feel Un - American not supporting an American Company. I think we can all agree that Samsung probably did copy to some degree. Nonetheless, I more than anyone do not like Apple and their culture/products. I guess my patriotism is tugging at me! ;)

BTW, I come from a 2 platform household. I am Android, my wife and 2 daughters are Iphone. I have tried to convince/sway them over to Android but they are not having any of that. In a way I am glad as the first sign of trouble I would be blamed for them going with Android.

Absolutely not as what apple is doing imo is completely UN-AMERICAN!! This country is about choice but apple is trying to destroy choice and be a monopolizing dictatorship. I will never buy apple not because of their products but because of their business practices!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Part of being American is buying whatever you want from whomever you want at the best price for the most value. Samsung employs US citizens both here in the US and the ROK. Some of the chips that go into Samsung and Apple products are made in TX. Check the labeling on Apple products and you will see that they are assembled in China. If so-called American companies fail to produce a more competitive product and the consumers vote with their wallets, then that is also the American way. Survival of the fittest. The US is the land of equal opportunity and not equal outcomes.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

Reactions: 21plays

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Re: Should you feel bad supporting a foreign company?

Where again are Apple products manufactured?

I have no problems whatsoever buying Samsung over Apple. Especially with Apples' tight control over their ecosystem.

I didn't give my wife a choice, if she wants tech-support from me she gets the products I choose. Yes I'm a bastard, and I am comfortable with that.

Note: We do have a iPad in the household, for our developmentally challenged little guy because the Assisted Communication software the audiologist recommends is only available on iOS and the case with amplified speakers is also only available for iPad devices. I find working with the dang thing to be a royal pain.

johnnyfr03

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Just because the main office is in California???? Guess who is Samsung's number one purchaser for parts. 9% (1st place) of Samsung sales are from Apple. Feel bad for Samsung?, no way!! All that is happening here is the usual; money talks and... A patent that makes Apple the owner of a rectangular rounded corner electronic device? Give me a break! Lets just give them ownership of all shapes!

bassace

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Why should you feel sorry? Only Apple's HQ and stores are in the US. Their products are made overseas and most of their money is offshored so they don't have to pay taxes on it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Why should you feel sorry? Only Apple's HQ and stores are in the US. Their products are made overseas and most of their money is offshored so they don't have to pay taxes on it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Exactly all the major us companies, alot ofCanadian and European, have their manufacturing info structure in greater Asia to fully exploit cheap slave labour so they can get the most profit margin. Also most hold their accounts in offshore banks so they dont have to pay taxes back into their hq counters to better them and giving back to their nations social net. So what's so American, Canadian, or European about them. NOTHING.! Till they start bringing back home manufacturing and their bank accounts. Your supporting an entity and not national pride, economy or product.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely not as what apple is doing imo is completely UN-AMERICAN!! This country is about choice but apple is trying to destroy choice and be a monopolizing dictatorship.

+ a gajazillionfinity

I'm tired of Apple trying to force people in to buying their product. They are a bunch of bullies. I have a Mac and an iPad 2. I chose to buy them. I do not appreciate them trying to make me buy anything by crippling other competitors. It's not fair to the consumer or the company.

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this is on US soil...the same Samsung that you ask about is investing millions into a plant in Texas though. Google = friend.
Bill Weir takes an in-depth look into the factory that makes Apple products

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk-xqPKOxl4[/YT]

My question is this: how does anyone miss something like this on the news? This was all over the place when people were committing suicide in the Foxconn factory over working conditions, all because of Apple vamping up production of their beloved i-products.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I will NVR buy an apple product. If someone gives me an iPhone. If I don't burst in flames first touching it. Lol. I will smash it with a hammer.

Samsung all the wY

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I will NVR buy an apple product. If someone gives me an iPhone. If I don't burst in flames first touching it. Lol. I will smash it with a hammer.

Samsung all the wY

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I will never understand statements like this.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

Who do you think makes hardware for Apple? Samsung provides parts. .. :rolleyes:

jonathanm1978

Super-elite full-time dad
Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand them either, but if someone GAVE me an iPhone, I would waste very little time getting to the carrier's store to trade it in on something I prefer...I used to like Apple and their products...but I've seen a side of the company that is never good to see in any company, just before they get 'too big for their britches' ...and get busted up, congressionally speaking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87