Galaxy S3: Mystery, Reoccuring Notification Sound

chappo2000

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay.... I'm not sure how anyone is going to actually help me, but I figured I'd share my recent annoyance. For weeks now, when the phone volume is not on vibrate/mute, my phone keeps making a mystery notification sound. The best I can describe it is a two tone ding/dong that lasts about a second. There are no notifications in the notification bar in conjuction with the tone - it happens when I have notifications i haven't addressed and when I don't. It happens when the phone is plugged in and when it's not. It doesn't happen at the same time everyday. Sometimes it happens twice in a span of 20 minutes. It does not happen in conjunction with recieving a text message. It's not related to a low battery. It interrupts listening to music via the stock headphones (music resumes after.) I've checked the standard notification tones and it doesn't match any of the ones listed.

The only way to stop it is to turn my phone to silent/vibrate. I'm thinking the culpret is a rougue app but I have no idea where to begin finding which app it actually is.

Has anyone had an issue like this? I have the Sprint variant.

Thanks for any guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:

chappo2000

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

Ilkin Jamalli

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Mystery, Reoccuring Notification Sound

Can you please check if you get the same ding-dong sound as soon as you attach USB (charging) cable to it?
I have just noticed this happens when S3 is charged with 3-rd party cable. this way S3 gets disconnected from charge and connects back randomly causing the tone.

LMonteros

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

How do you turn off the sound? I can't find any settings in Yahoo! itself, and I have turned off notifications, sounds, etc. through the Razr email app more times than I can count. The tone changes but the sound/vibrate and notifications continue.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Are you using the Yahoo mail app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oid.mail&feature=search_result&token=LeR1H5io

or reading Yahoo mail through the Razr email app? If you're using the Yahoo app, changing the setting in a different app isn't going to help.

Yahoo's mail app is a little bizarre. To access settings, tap the 3 bars at the top left, which brings up a menu. Scroll the menu all the way to the bottom, and tap Settings, then Account settings, then Notification settings.

Why they can't just give you a settings option off the menu button on the phone, like everyone else does, I don't understand.

LMonteros

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

I am using the Yahoo mail app as the Razr mail app comingles all my emails from three accounts. But I figured out how to set the Yahoo notification sound, and it has been off for two days on both my Yahoo email accounts. I'm still getting the sound. It may well be connected to Yahoo because it comes at random intervals, but changing the settings doesn't get rid of it.

I agree trying to find the settings on Yahoo is a pain.

LMonteros

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

Definitely not Yahoo--I just sent myself an email and no ding dong. So it's something else, just gotta figure out what it is.

nolittdroid

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site

Do you have any alerts set up to track radio signal?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

LMonteros

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

Not that I know of. I didn't set any up. I did have auto-connect to wi-fi on, but unchecked it and either way doesn't matter. Also deleted my email accounts from Razr app and that didn't work. I've rebooted after each change and that doesn't work either.

ADDENDUM

I tested the email settings by emailing both my Yahoo accounts from a non-Yahoo address, and it turns out the default Yahoo sound was on for one of them. Now, lest you think that I should have checked this earlier, I did. Multiple times. I set it to "no sound" more than once, in both the Yahoo & Razr apps, and checked to make sure that it had kept that setting. I even rebooted to be sure. So I don't know what's going on, but hopefully I won't be bothered by this anymore.

Last edited:

huntbot

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

Oh my GAWWWWWWWWWWWWD T H A N K Y O U !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was googling and googling and could NOT even find a way to describe the quiet little two-note notification I was getting and when I read your description, I KNEW that was the same thing I had! AUUUUUUUUUUUUGH Yahoo Mail app! Yup, I just sent myself a test e-mail and it did the sound! Thank you SOOOOO much. I've been like too neurotic about trying to find out what that sound was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DCPOK

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

I have had that same mysterious noise, too, only on my Kindle Fire HD. I will try your suggestion. Thanks!

Lachlanf

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Glad I found this thread, I have the same noise but do not have Yahoo Mail app!
The Notification noises are coming thick and fast, at some points the media I am listening to is not only interrupted, but so frequently that it is blocked out for long periods. Infuriating!

If there are any other bogey apps anyone is aware of, please let me know. For now i am going through one by one... tedious.

George V

May 8, 2013
Visit site

Same problem here!!!! I think we do talk about the same notification. Haven't checked what happens during media playback, and I do not have any yahoo apps installed. It's rhe second day that this is happening and the only things changed on my phone were an instagram and a viber update. The most disturbing is that the sound keeps ringing during voice calls.. anyone can help? Pkeaseee

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Do you (Lachlanf and George) get anything in the notification bar when this happens?

George, maybe you've already done so, but I'd look at the settings for those two apps first. Both have their own notifications, I believe.

George V

May 8, 2013
Visit site

No nothing is shown in the notification bar. No messages, no ads.. I uninstalled all apps that have a notification setting (viber, facebook, whatsapp, outlook, etc) ;not the ones that cannot be uninstalled though, and the sound keeps on breaking my nerves, especially during voice calls..

Bronia Bennett

May 19, 2013
Visit site

Ive had the same problem and it turns out it the noise your phone makes when it trying to connect with another device to transfer data, to turn it off go to settings, select more settings, turn off NFC under File/Data Transfer. Hope this helped :)

Maximul

May 23, 2013
Visit site

go to SETTINGS

SOUND

DEFAULT NOTIFICATION

make it Silent.................. :)

No earlier posts helped me...I wiped out half my Apps....the Sherbert notification was driving me insane.....now I dont get to hear my SMS....who cares, as if we now use SMS, most are adverts anyway.

stucelle

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Wow.. im glad i found out about this site... im having the same problem,notification sound going on but no new notifications or whatsoever.. i dont have yahoo apps running and being use.. can anyone help? Turning off notification sound isnt an option for me also because i do receive important sms sometimes.. my gf's mad as hell because she thought i did receive sms or was sending sms to others!!:'( pls help... whats wrong with my s3..? Or is there a particular app thats causing this? Help is really appreciated.. thanks in advance!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38