Galaxy s3 Black screen problem

ROOTEDblackMan

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
thanks for viewing my post im new here (i literally just created this account a minute ago)...Okay now to my question whenever i cut on my GS3 the touch capacitive buttons light up but the screen doesnt light up at all. i can still unlock it due to the fact i dont have a password because i had just changed my rom to and older version of cm10.... i dont really know how to explain this so ill just restart over to be as informative as i can be... Earlier when i woke up around 3 A.M i noticed my gs3 was hot like someone had left it in the sun or something, so i took it off the charger and fell back to sleep. i had then waken back up around 12 everything was great screen still worked and all. then about a hour later i noticed my phone had kept exiting out of youtube and going onto google now and alittle bit after that the screen start flashing different colors of blue,green, and red. So i just figured that it was due to the New version of CM10.1 nightly and i decided to return the previous update... for 2 hours everything worked again then it happened when i tryed to turn back on my phone the screen wouldnt light up but the buttons would at this point i was ready to cry my baby wouldnt light up everything else worked (touch capac-bottons, notification light, volume rockers,etc) so now im wondering if i can somehow unroot, return to stock rom, and recovery without a working screen so radioshack can replace it for me or if someone can tell me the problem so i can fix it... also if your wandering im on CM10.1 and the last update of nightly, i have twrp recovery,and if never messed with the kernal, And its the Sph-l710 (sprint)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
thanks for viewing my post im new here (i literally just created this account a minute ago)...Okay now to my question whenever i cut on my GS3 the touch capacitive buttons light up but the screen doesnt light up at all. i can still unlock it due to the fact i dont have a password because i had just changed my rom to and older version of cm10.... i dont really know how to explain this so ill just restart over to be as informative as i can be... Earlier when i woke up around 3 A.M i noticed my gs3 was hot like someone had left it in the sun or something, so i took it off the charger and fell back to sleep. i had then waken back up around 12 everything was great screen still worked and all. then about a hour later i noticed my phone had kept exiting out of youtube and going onto google now and alittle bit after that the screen start flashing different colors of blue,green, and red. So i just figured that it was due to the New version of CM10.1 nightly and i decided to return the previous update... for 2 hours everything worked again then it happened when i tryed to turn back on my phone the screen wouldnt light up but the buttons would at this point i was ready to cry my baby wouldnt light up everything else worked (touch capac-bottons, notification light, volume rockers,etc) so now im wondering if i can somehow unroot, return to stock rom, and recovery without a working screen so radioshack can replace it for me or if someone can tell me the problem so i can fix it... also if your wandering im on CM10.1 and the last update of nightly, i have twrp recovery,and if never messed with the kernal, And its the Sph-l710 (sprint)

Welcome to the forums!
I would suggest trying to reboot into recovery and wiping the phone's cache. Sometimes a new update gets confused by old cache data. Now with nightly updates like Cyanogen, this shouldn't be a problem. However, there is a very big difference between shouldn't and is.

If that doesn't seem to work, flashing a stock ROM is probably the next best step.

massimo_sballo

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I found a solution for this problem: I noticed the external sd card was under checking, after the reboot and this was locking the screen.
*** Remove the external SD memory and check if the screen works fine now ***
:)