Will the s4 top s3 sales?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm quite positive the htc one will top the one X flagship of last year. Will samsungs s4 top the s3? Just curious to see what you guys/gals think

The One could top One-x sales by an order of magnitude and still not approach GS3 sales. IIRC, Samsung's sold close to 40 million GS3s world-wide. And few of those owners are eligible for upgrades yet. Android owners don't seem quite as addicted to the "gotta have the newest even if it doesn't really change anything" approach that iPhone owners have, so it may be tough for Samsung to top that number.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The best obvious example anyone can give you is the Iphone5! It has a much slower processor, BUT, runs IOS quite fast and smoothly, this is also VERY obvious with any of the Windows phones with VERY slow proccessors running the OS fluidly!

Cheers

I suspect Android could be much quicker if it didn't have all the code associated with real multi-tasking in it. And the iPhone would be a lot slower if it really had to do complete background task management like Android does.

scoutbb

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
It will based on its marketing and advertisement. It shouldn't though due to its unacceptable lag.

This will be resolved with a simple software update which will happen in the near future. HTC pushed 1 or 2 updates to fix software glitches so I can expect Samsung to do the same.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
According to Samsung's own projection, s4 will sell at least 100 million compared to s3's 50 million

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

I agree. That is why Samsung is doing this marketing gimmick of only releasing the 16gb version first, and they are selling like hot cakes too. As soon as the demand slows, then Samsung will offer the larger version. I think they will top a 100 million.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
i agree. S3 got Project Butter, S4 got Project Stutter.... lol (Still lovin' it like no otha, tho : )

It will sell well, but doubtful it can outsell the S3...Nexus 4, HTC One, LG's latest weren't around last year to compete like they are now....

BTC

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It won't outsell it. The One will steal a fair number of its sales, as will the next Optimus G and its variants. The market is very different this year, and since Samsung is one of the largest, it will hurt them the most.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I use Air Gesture and Air View. They're not useless. There's really no lag. The phone stutters occasionally on transition animations.

Not hard to code for a UI when you've been coding for the very same version of Android for almost a year on your other phones.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Ok first part, you just invalidated your argument. With a cpu that is overclocked the way it is. This thing should scream. It's not especially with as you said the animations.

Yes 4.1.2 is older, that said the difference between that and 4.2.2 is minimal. You do realize that when HTC was working on the One. 4.2.2 was probably not out yet. Will the One get 4.2.2 soon? Probably. What it should get is KLP sometime after the new year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Most likely. Ignorant people will bash even when they have nothing to back it up.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums
I would say the plastic(opinion) and the fact that half your storage(on 16GB model) is used up( don't say that you have an SD card because you can't install apps on it)
And it's Amoled display is over saturated I just didn't like it.
Now one of the cool things about samsung phones is the ability to change the screen mode like dynamic and movie mode, also once the32 and 64GB models land then that issue will also be void. the only thing the S4 has that I really hate is touch whizz, I am sorry but IMHO it is downright ugly looking.

Madness87

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Well the massive success of the GSIII is either a benefit or a disadvantage. It means more people are comfortable using Samsung devices, more people believe Samsung is the best device manufacturer Android has etc. But it also means, tons of people are perfectly happy with their GS3's and not as likely to upgrade to the S4.

This is the problem with Samsung. There is a diminished quality about the GS4 to GS3 and Note 2 owners. Plus, Samsung is facing stronger competition from the HTC One, a phone mentioned in almost all the reviews. Last year, I was one of 10 friends who bought the GS3 within the first few weeks of release. Right now, I'm the first of my friends to upgrade, and it doesn't seem like they are so intent to do so.

A lot of people are also waiting to hear more about the Nexus 5, Note 3 or iphone 5s or whatever.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok first part, you just invalidated your argument. With a cpu that is overclocked the way it is. This thing should scream. It's not especially with as you said the animations.

Yes 4.1.2 is older, that said the difference between that and 4.2.2 is minimal. You do realize that when HTC was working on the One. 4.2.2 was probably not out yet. Will the One get 4.2.2 soon? Probably. What it should get is KLP sometime after the new year.

I'm not entirely sure how to respond to that first sentence because I barely understood it. I guess you're from the school of thought that believes the CPU is the be-all end-all in performance. It's not. It's important, but so is optimizing the software. That's the issue with the S4. If you could just throw hardware at it, the Exynos 5 would be faster in these situations, but it really isn't.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure how to respond to that first sentence because I barely understood it. I guess you're from the school of thought that believes the CPU is the be-all end-all in performance. It's not. It's important, but so is optimizing the software. That's the issue with the S4. If you could just throw hardware at it, the Exynos 5 would be faster in these situations, but it really isn't.

It's really a matter of how you look at it. From your point of view, Samsung is having issues cause of it being on 4.2.2 and they have more kinks to work out. Granted there can always refine code to make something run better. Heck that's why project butter was started in the first place. I'm seeing it not so much as software refinement but more as the S4 is doing to much for the system to keep up. That was the reason for the overclock, Samsung knew that all the stuff they were putting on here was going to tax it. To make up for that they bumped up the processor. Did it help? on that I world say yes. Thing is HTC realized they had to do a revamp and slimmed down Sense5. With that they a very responsive user experience. If you took out all the bells and whistles that Samsung crammed into TW this time round it would be even faster.

This was a design decision that Samsung made that i'm not about to let them get a pass on. Now hopefully they can rewrite code and make it better. If 4.2.2 had been out only say 3 months ago I would say you have a stronger argument. It wasn't, and Samsung had plenty of time if there were specific issues with 4.2.2. This is all an issue of UI bloat in TW. You may not agree and that is fine. That's just what i've seen so far.

Besides, in the end there will be more goodies to come out later this year to go after.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It's really a matter of how you look at it. From your point of view, Samsung is having issues cause of it being on 4.2.2 and they have more kinks to work out. Granted there can always refine code to make something run better. Heck that's why project butter was started in the first place. I'm seeing it not so much as software refinement but more as the S4 is doing to much for the system to keep up. That was the reason for the overclock, Samsung knew that all the stuff they were putting on here was going to tax it. To make up for that they bumped up the processor. Did it help? on that I world say yes. Thing is HTC realized they had to do a revamp and slimmed down Sense5. With that they a very responsive user experience. If you took out all the bells and whistles that Samsung crammed into TW this time round it would be even faster.

This was a design decision that Samsung made that i'm not about to let them get a pass on. Now hopefully they can rewrite code and make it better. If 4.2.2 had been out only say 3 months ago I would say you have a stronger argument. It wasn't, and Samsung had plenty of time if there were specific issues with 4.2.2. This is all an issue of UI bloat in TW. You may not agree and that is fine. That's just what i've seen so far.

Besides, in the end there will be more goodies to come out later this year to go after.

I don't think it was specific issues, but just a focus on other things that may have led to this. Either way, Touchwiz is not performing as well as it could and there's plenty of factors that are contributing to that. So yes I do agree. Either way, it needs to be addressed and corrected. I'd love to see what this thing can do when the software is optimized.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it was specific issues, but just a focus on other things that may have led to this. Either way, Touchwiz is not performing as well as it could and there's plenty of factors that are contributing to that. So yes I do agree. Either way, it needs to be addressed and corrected. I'd love to see what this thing can do when the software is optimized.

On that we can both agree.

Parafly9

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
S4 is giong to blow S3 sales away over the same period.

Keep in mind that a lot of people are STILL transitioning from feature phones to smart phones. Also, a lot of other people missed the S3 generation (myself included) because of other phones... i personally had a Gnex.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
S4 is giong to blow S3 sales away over the same period.

Keep in mind that a lot of people are STILL transitioning from feature phones to smart phones. Also, a lot of other people missed the S3 generation (myself included) because of other phones... i personally had a Gnex.

Not to mention they offer a 32GB version of their phone with expandable storage for $50 less than the iPhone 5 with just 32GB internal.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4