Addressing The One/S4 "Bias" At Android Central

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I belong to several forums from motorcycles to sports cars to archaeology. I have never seen the moderators in any of the forums I belong to argue with the members to any degree what so ever.
A moderator is defined as:
1. One that moderates, as:
a. One that arbitrates or mediates.
b. One who presides over a meeting, forum, or debate.

Certainly a moderator, as defined by custom and common sense, does not take sides in a forum or debate. And a moderator loses his or her credibility to arbitrate or mediate when they actively participate in discussions and criticize comments by those who are the subject of their arbitration or moderation.

That's why we don't moderate threads that we're actively involved in. With the occasional exception of closing them when the discussion is done.

That's a nice dictionary definition you gave. :)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I belong to several forums from motorcycles to sports cars to archaeology. I have never seen the moderators in any of the forums I belong to argue with the members to any degree what so ever.
A moderator is defined as:
1. One that moderates, as:
a. One that arbitrates or mediates.
b. One who presides over a meeting, forum, or debate.

Certainly a moderator, as defined by custom and common sense, does not take sides in a forum or debate. And a moderator loses his or her credibility to arbitrate or mediate when they actively participate in discussions and criticize comments by those who are the subject of their arbitration or moderation.

Then leave. No one is holding you here. Instead of torpedoing threads and complaining all the time, your energy might be better served elsewhere.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Did you see the changelog Phil posted? No performance improvements. At all. He didn't make that up.

See, it's that kind of thing that's getting you this result. From here to XDA to everywhere, people everywhere are claiming this update has significantly improved the performance of the device. You may say "placebo effect", but those that own the device and are using it today will tell you it's clearly faster than it was before. All madlaw1071 had to say was "(which was corrected within 2 weeks of launch)" to get you immediately to try to dispute that no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary. Even then, it might (with more lenient people) just roll off their back because you are referring to the change log IF.....

You. Had. The. Device.

Again, you can continue on with this whole thing, but acting surprised when people call you out for being an HTC homer when you've demonstrated on more than one occasion that it's almost as if you -want- the S4 to fail? Come on, man. Don't stop on my account, though. I'm enjoying this.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
See, it's that kind of thing that's getting you this result. From here to XDA to everywhere, people everywhere are claiming this update has significantly improved the performance of the device. You may say "placebo effect", but those that own the device and are using it today will tell you it's clearly faster than it was before. All madlaw1071 had to say was "(which was corrected within 2 weeks of launch)" to get you immediately to try to dispute that no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary. Even then, it might (with more lenient people) just roll off their back because you are referring to the change log IF.....

You. Had. The. Device.

Again, you can continue on with this whole thing, but acting surprised when people call you out for being an HTC homer when you've demonstrated on more than one occasion that it's almost as if you -want- the S4 to fail? Come on, man. Don't stop on my account, though. I'm enjoying this.

What did they do to improve performance? Maybe the changelog will get updated? Hopefully?

I mean, the changelog is what it is. It's what Samsung said they changed, really. So now you're arguing with what samsung said they did, not me.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

You. Had. The. Device.

You seem really upset to me... I thought since the last update fixed everything that you would be happy now?

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Then you misjudged the climate, perhaps, respectfully Cowboy Sir.

Possibly.

What most people aren't taking into account is that I only visit a lot of the forums here when i get an email telling me how out of hand people are getting. I assumed people would take the post at face value, and even had a couple other people look it over before posting so it wouldn't turn into another headache for me.

Didn't work.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Possibly.

What most people aren't taking into account is that I only visit a lot of the forums here when i get an email telling me how out of hand people are getting. I assumed people would take the post at face value, and even had a couple other people look it over before posting so it wouldn't turn into another headache for me.

Didn't work.

Points for effort but honestly if Kevin should have realized what would ensue.

jusmebabe

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Ues we know you htc, samsung, and apple lovers will give your lives to protect your beloved phone.
We see your many threads about your undying loyalty to your sacred brand.
If only you could put that energy into something worth while like ohh your kids maybe, or improving your relationships.
I know if it weren't for apple, samsung, htc you wouldn't a life. :beer:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Possibly.

Didn't work.

Maybe a moratorium on posting is in order? Moratorium = No headaches :p

I know you like when I type in red :p

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So let's stop posting if we think people will "take exception" or if there will be "sharp reactions"? Nope. How about take it up with the members that decided to derail the thread. Point the finger in the right direction in this case.

Articles weren't written about the updates? For the S4 and One. They were. I saw them. US carriers haven't (to my knowledge) sent out updates to their One's because they shipped with the newer firmware.

As you've pointed out many times, there's a lengthy bug thread in the One section. Don't conveniently forget about that when it suits your needs. I post in there on occasion when I can help.

There's a bug thread for the S4 too, so why not confine your comments there as you do in on the One side?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Possibly.

Didn't work.

That would be because no one has the inner peace that is required to just simply enjoy the amazing device they have in their hand. And i'm not talking about Nirvana or any other religious stuff. It's like these people (yes, sometimes myself included-as shown by my recent infraction) repeatedly slam their head into a brick wall, but aren't intellectually advanced enough to let go of the wall and step back to end the pain.

We all love this site or we wouldn't have accounts here in the forums. Yet we feel the need to overanalyze and critize those providing us with this information/entertainment/and even free stuff on occassion. I think i've emphatically agreed and disagreed with almost every moderator or editor of this site. And I am grateful this is so, cause it means I have a brain capable of formulating opinions. Some commenters in this thread are acting like their opinions are betraying them and therefore someone must pay! Why does everyone's opinions have to line up? Why do we go balls to the wall with anyone who expresses a different opinion and is therefore blatantly challenging our manhood?

It's so easy to forget how fortunate we all are to even have these choices before us. It might serve us well to get involved in deeper, more meaningful activities (family, friends, community service, worship service, meditation, exercise, pizza buffets) for a few hours a week to keep things in perspective.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Points for effort but honestly if Kevin should have realized what would ensue.

You're missing the point. The blame goes to the people that flamed and derailed. Not the person that created the thread in most cases. Jerry's thread was NOT created with the sole purpose to incite an argument, flame war, or to troll. So blaming Jerry for those people's actions is unfair.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
What did they do to improve performance? Maybe the changelog will get updated? Hopefully?

I mean, the changelog is what it is. It's what Samsung said they changed, really. So now you're arguing with what samsung said they did, not me.

Please post this in the update thread. I'd like to see the reaction this brings since you'd be telling people to stop being happy about the improved performance they're seeing because of the off chance that you're right and the uncounted number of people who own the device are wrong. You know, because who wants people to be happy with their phones, right?

If this could get more amusing, I'd be surprised.

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah a lot of the moderators here don't really like the S4 and are not scared to show it.
Even in the last podcast they all seemed dead when S4 chat was supposed to be going on. Phil was throwing out positives like he had to...

I wouldn't say S4 fanboys are any worse than One fanboys, but there seems to be a lot of slack given to the One fanboys. I think it's because HTC finally came out with a competitive product so they're giving HTC One a break. /Evo3D owner

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
You're missing the point. The blame goes to the people that flamed and derailed. Not the person that created the thread in most cases. Jerry's thread was NOT created with the sole purpose to incite an argument, flame war, or to troll. So blaming Jerry for those people's actions is unfair.

I retracted and do apologize for blaming Jerry since he admitted to not being a regular. You on the other hand should've known better or if you knew what would happen shouldnt be surprised and now complain about it. Shall we keep going?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa