S4 Sales Lower Than Expected

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
If what all of you are taking from these articles of slow sales for Samsung, iPhones, HTC etc, then you're missing the point that some writers were good to point out - the high end smartphone market is over saturated now. Every company is being hit on their high end phones by it, not just a select few. Why do you think so many are fighting like dogs with each other to win the market share of emerging markets with low-mid range phones lately?

I was surprised - and I never thought I'd say this - that Nokia seems to have had the most foresight of them all to plunge into these markets with both feet this year with their Lumia 520/620/720 windows phones, which aside from the criticisms levelled at WP8 OS itself, actually pack more features and hardware performance for that price point than low-mid end Android phones do (other than the Google subsidized N4)

irishonion

May 5, 2013
Visit site
That is very true, you can never count Apple out, i just feel at the moment they are stale. That's the reason i'm currently thinking of moving to the S4. Mondays WWDC will be interesting to see what is announced, but there wont be a new iPhone according to many people. IOS 7 may be interesting tho. I will be paying a close attention on Monday.

I agree, I don't think apple will release the new iphone anytime soon, especially when they are still dominating with the 5(GS4 won last month) but from slowing sales of GS4 this month, Iphone 5 will kill again.

I don't think the annalist have accounted for that the general public with crappier economy are starting to get smarter with smartphone purchases, for instance people with gs3 and other older generation phones, realize they don't have to buy a phone right now. I have no numbers to back this up, just a thought.

dave25A

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I don't think apple will release the new iphone anytime soon, especially when they are still dominating with the 5(GS4 won last month) but from slowing sales of GS4 this month, Iphone 5 will kill again.

I don't think the annalist have accounted for that the general public with crappier economy are starting to get smarter with smartphone purchases, for instance people with gs3 and other older generation phones, realize they don't have to buy a phone right now. I have no numbers to back this up, just a thought.

Exactly, and i think if Apple want to get customers back (and stop those of us who are thinking about leaving) then they need to open up more and give us as the user more control over our phones. A bigger display would also be nice. Apple can do it, and they can do it well its just that they seem to lagging behind ever since Job's died.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The 5 million number was not debunked. One analyst claims it was lower, but he's just guessing. At this point the only thing that will debunk the 5 million number from HTC is another number from HTC.

Uh htc debunked its own number and ran away from 5 million the same day that rumor came out.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
they didnt debunk... they just didnt confirm or would comment on the sales figure... "According to The Wall Street Journal, who cited an anonymous HTC executive, the company "has sold around 5 million One smartphones" since its launch about a month ago."

debunk makes it sound like a flat out lie which maybe not 5 million exactly at the time... 4.8 million? but considering htc's already shaky position, and its been documented they had a slow start due to parts, do you think they want to play the numbers game with the press over how many sold the first week or month and have happen to htc stock what just happened to samsung the other day over a story? the ceo put his job on the line and i think he wants to show numbers when production is running at 100% capacity and when he wants to.

Uh htc debunked its own number and ran away from 5 million the same day that rumor came out.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
they didnt debunk... they just didnt confirm or would comment on the sales figure... "According to The Wall Street Journal, who cited an anonymous HTC executive, the company "has sold around 5 million One smartphones" since its launch about a month ago."

debunk makes it sound like a flat out lie which maybe not 5 million exactly at the time... 4.8 million? but considering htc's already shaky position, and its been documented they had a slow start due to parts, do you think they want to play the numbers game with the press over how many sold the first week or month and have happen to htc stock what just happened to samsung the other day over a story? the ceo put his job on the line and i think he wants to show numbers when production is running at 100% capacity and when he wants to.

If it really was 5 million HTC would have confirmed the number and shouted it from the rooftops just like samsungs CEO did with the 10 million announcement.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is a June 4 article and the quote says, "HTC says it shipped more than five million units during the first month the One was available." It doesnt say anonymous anymore and honestly any recent article doesnt use the anonymous source anymore and pretty much all go by saying "HTC says." So from the first leak, until now, it could be HTC went ahead and confirmed it... or waited an extra week to really pass 5 million... they just did it when 'they' wanted to.

HTC One Sales Strong, But Execs Depart - Mobility - Smartphones -

At this point I don't think there is any argument that they've sold over 5 million at this point... the question for htc is how much they will be able to sell and if enough to save the ceo's job.

Just like there is no doubt that samsung has sold over 10 million... but how much they can sell going forward.

If it really was 5 million HTC would have confirmed the number and shouted it from the rooftops just like samsungs CEO did with the 10 million announcement.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
This is a June 4 article and the quote says, "HTC says it shipped more than five million units during the first month the One was available." It doesnt say anonymous anymore and honestly any recent article doesnt use the anonymous source anymore and pretty much all go by saying "HTC says." So from the first leak, until now, it could be HTC went ahead and confirmed it... or waited an extra week to really pass 5 million... they just did it when 'they' wanted to.

HTC One Sales Strong, But Execs Depart - Mobility - Smartphones -

At this point I don't think there is any argument that they've sold over 5 million at this point... the question for htc is how much they will be able to sell and if enough to save the ceo's job.

Just like there is no doubt that samsung has sold over 10 million... but how much they can sell going forward.

Please find a source besides the original anonymous source that all the 5 million sales claims come from. So far all the claims stem back to the original claim which htc refused to confirm.

Posted via Android Central App

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The only thing i consider in the current "units sold" argument.

Samsung has pockets full of money so they can make a load of phones to meet the immediate needs of their customers. If they dont sell a many as they anticipate its not as damaging to them.

Htc on the other hand has to keep it tight seeing as money is much more of an issue currently. For them they have to make enough to just stay in front of the game. I'll be interesting to see how the supply meets the demand when Verizon launches The One given the size of Verizon. First will there be a big demand. Second can htc supply fast enough so there are no major order delays?

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The only thing i consider in the current "units sold" argument.

Samsung has pockets full of money so they can make a load of phones to meet the immediate needs of their customers. If they dont sell a many as they anticipate its not as damaging to them.

Htc on the other hand has to keep it tight seeing as money is much more of an issue currently. For them they have to make enough to just stay in front of the game. I'll be interesting to see how the supply meets the demand when Verizon launches The One given the size of Verizon. First will there be a big demand. Second can htc supply fast enough so there are no major order delays?

Good points. But you sort of made the argument for being cautious about buying a phone from a company that is in financial difficulty and has production problems. Is a company with those problems going to be able to provide frequent updates and customer support like a company that has "pockets full of money?"

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It is all anecdotal based on channel fill data and whatever sell through data to real customers the analysts can get from data mining. Are they exact, heck No. Are they close enough for actual performance direction, a subjective Yes. These people make their money being at least credible. No credibility, no revenue for their "expertise".

It seems obvious the 80,000,000 was an overreach and stuffing 10,000,000 into channels so soon was as well. There is plenty of inventory out there, based on input from Best Buy, Verizon corporate reps and the rate of sales estimates. Those estimates would have to be incompetently off to not indicate the direction of sales is not adhering to the expected sales curve telemetry expected.

All a bunch of goop to me, since just hoping the apparent sales issues result in a shiny Verizon 32g S4 :) Me thinks though Samsung's near worthless apps 2 sd "fix" will give all carriers a sense of ignorant bliss and perhaps not ever stock anything but the 16gb. Heck, AT&T might just stop selling the 32gb themselves ;)

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Good points. But you sort of made the argument for being cautious about buying a phone from a company that is in financial difficulty and has production problems. Is a company with those problems going to be able to provide frequent updates and customer support like a company that has "pockets full of money?"

Yes i agree. I think this is an area where Samsung excels. There a huge company riding great success on a large scale of products. I mean look at Samsung tv's for example They look great and next to Sony would be one of my top pics. My intent was praise seeing as their doing so well.

I dont worry about htc personally. I think they need to be aggressive. If they dont put out timely updates and continued support for their devices than the future looks a bit bleak. They're betting the farm on the Htc One so they need to do all they can to support it. Will they? I cant answer that but i put my vote in with my purchase of The One

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
i did my best but i really couldnt find any official quotes... just that all recent articles whether techincal or business dont seem to mind using the 5 million number. we probably wont know until next earnings call and maybe we wont hear first month numbers at all and they give total quarter numbers... again it probably wasnt as great as it could with the parts shortage/delay.

This article may give a little insight whether htc has been successful with their one and how it may be a little part people revising sammys forecast by 30%.

HTC reports highest sales in 11 months - Taipei Times

Please find a source besides the original anonymous source that all the 5 million sales claims come from. So far all the claims stem back to the original claim which htc refused to confirm.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps the original sales estimates did not take in to account all of the S4 variants like the S4 mini, S4 active, S4 Zoom, S4 Google Edition. Hard to imagine these other variants not affecting the OG S4 sales even if only announced and not out yet. Or maybe the estimates did include them to be added to the S4 franchise as one big number? In any event they are selling a bunch of S4's. Not sure why the comparison to the HTC One comes up. Just about anyone who follows this business knew the S4 would easily outsell the HTC One. Maybe they are both over performing or underperforming who really knows.

In one regard to comments made. I had my Seidio Surface combo in hand when my S4 arrived at my door. That is the result of buying a top seller. I can remember having to wait a few weeks with my SII to get the case I wanted. Samsung has done a lot to get android in the door with accessories and not just every i device.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe we circled back around to arguing about "fake" sales numbers.

I am disappoint.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I can't believe we circled back around to arguing about "fake" sales numbers.

I am disappoint.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Agreed, the consummate **** waggling over whose multi national sales conglomerate is doing better based on 0 factual sales data seems as pointless and stupid as picking a multi national sales conglomerate as a favorite in the first place. And what does it really matter? For the purpose of owning a phone or xhosing a phone...assigning a valuation to the company you bought it from makes sense only in the respect that maybe you should be concerned if that company was going to be around to support your device in the next two years your locked to it...but despite the financial challenges HTC has faces lately...there's no possibility that they're going anywhere for the lifespan of the device...and its downright laughable to consider that either Samsung or Apple are going anywhere...so yeah....kinda
..dumb