Samsung Galaxy S5 or iPhone 6 - which would you choose?

Netherscourge

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm switching to the Galaxy S5, and this is coming from a iPad, iPod and iPhone 4S owner with LOTS of digital purchases from the iTunes/App Store that won't be compatible on Android.

I was hoping the iPhone 5 or 5S would come with a bigger screen, but the biggest upgraded from the 4S to the 5S was a silly fingerprint scanner... A completely useless feature for me.

So, I'm going to jump into the Galaxy world (my wife took the leap over the holiday with a S4 Mini and she really loves it). Even her MINI has a bigger screen than my 4S! I have serious screen envy.

Heck, I went ahead and jailbroke my 4S and made all the Google stuff the defaults on it (Chrome, Maps, Mail, etc...) so I figure why go through all the Jailbreaking nonsense when I can get it default right out of the factory. (FYI - if you didn't know already, Apple Maps is complete GARBAGE)

But yea, I'm going to the other side this time. I just hope it's all worth it. I use my phone for just about everything these days. Gonna see what Samsung and Android can offer me.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
i hate when people say they go with iphone cause they say it just works.

Android works just as good as iphone

I really do think its "certain android phones...." Not all android phones work just as well as the forums are full of folks complaining of lag, etc.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm switching to the Galaxy S5, and this is coming from a iPad, iPod and iPhone 4S owner with LOTS of digital purchases from the iTunes/App Store that won't be compatible on Android.

I was hoping the iPhone 5 or 5S would come with a bigger screen, but the biggest upgraded from the 4S to the 5S was a silly fingerprint scanner... A completely useless feature for me.

So, I'm going to jump into the Galaxy world (my wife took the leap over the holiday with a S4 Mini and she really loves it). Even her MINI has a bigger screen than my 4S! I have serious screen envy.

Heck, I went ahead and jailbroke my 4S and made all the Google stuff the defaults on it (Chrome, Maps, Mail, etc...) so I figure why go through all the Jailbreaking nonsense when I can get it default right out of the factory. (FYI - if you didn't know already, Apple Maps is complete GARBAGE)

But yea, I'm going to the other side this time. I just hope it's all worth it. I use my phone for just about everything these days. Gonna see what Samsung and Android can offer me.

You do get at least 14-day trial. Good luck.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So what's wrong with a plastic phone? I say nothing at all. Its lighter, more durable and able to sustain drops, unless of course you are a iphone 5c which stands for CRAPPY since its breaks whenever it hits the ground.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So what's wrong with a plastic phone? I say nothing at all. Its lighter, more durable and able to sustain drops, unless of course you are a iphone 5c which stands for CRAPPY since its breaks whenever it hits the ground.

I somehow thought you were more objective than your posts of late seem to indicate. Anywho, nothing is wrong with plastic as long as it's not the same grade of plastic one would get from a bubble-gum machine. Aircraft parts are made of high-quality plastics. I think Kevlar is a plastic. Plastic can be great, it's just that often it is not.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am completely objective, I have owned all types of smartphones including iphones and android, windows phone, windows PPC, Windows Smartphone. Phones were plastic long before apple and will continue to be plastic long after apple. Metal certainly adds an sense of high end but at what trade offs? Weight, scratches, cost. I will be happy to get a GS5 that is IF it arrives with the features I want and a design that I like. Plastic vs Metal, either works for me, I care more about what the phone can do and how well it holds up to time than I do the chassis material its made of.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I am completely objective, I have owned all types of smartphones including iphones and android, windows phone, windows PPC, Windows Smartphone. Phones were plastic long before apple and will continue to be plastic long after apple. Metal certainly adds an sense of high end but at what trade offs? Weight, scratches, cost. I will be happy to get a GS5 that is IF it arrives with the features I want and a design that I like. Plastic vs Metal, either works for me, I care more about what the phone can do and how well it holds up to time than I do the chassis material its made of.

Along with internals, performance, and user experience I do indeed look at build materials. I wouldn't want a phone with great attributes of the aforementioned that had a styrofoam or cardboard chassis. Yes, I know some people could not care less. I'm not one of them. As far as a phone's chassis material is concerned, plastics are fine to me except when they're selected to reduce costs, as that typically means they are not of the very highest quality. Again, when someone is using Kevlar or aircraft-grade plastic resins that are used BECAUSE they're high quality I'm all for that but I've never been a fan of the Cracker Jack-grade plastics.

Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So far I have yet to see a Samsung phone as cheap or unworthy of owning. the first iphones were plastic and they went plastic again. So clearly its a solid material that is easier to design with.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
ja9e7u6a.jpg

This is thought by many to be the S5 prototype in gold. I'll probably stay away from the S5.

rob damiani

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Well said. The downside with jailbreaking is that it takes MONTHS for them to develop and be released to the general public.
For the meanwhile I'm firmly planted with iOS iGadgets. iOS may feel limiting to us Android types in its stock form but once jailbroken, which is telepathically simple (think Wugfresh but much simpler) you have enough customization to keep even the most ADHD types engaged. It's quite fun. Now, the size thing. Well, I've found that since I have a Retina Mini LTE and an Air LTE the one-handedness of the 5s is very convenient. When I want more screen I grab whichever of the aforementioned fits the mood, but have no problem with the 4" screen whatsoever. I love the iOS AppStore, ecosystem, and the quality and quantity of iGadget accessories, as well as the convenience of FaceTime.

Perfect iOS Is not but it doesn't, to me, deserve the iHatred it often garners here. So many seem to feel that they have to be loyal to one of the other. I like android a lot when its dressed up with Nova Prime and a nice icon pack like Glasklart but don't care for stock android at all, I've found. The G2 and Note 3 were, by far, my favorite android phones but I could never really find an android tablet that was issue-free enough for me. When I discovered all that was so easily done with jailbreaking I knew I had to give iOS another chance. So far, so good.

If we get a 5" diagonal iPhone 6 with a sapphire display I won't complain.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Actually it's not thought to be any sort of prototype. It's a lame joke that Samsung haters are using to make fun of the dimpled back that they probably loved when it was on the first Nexus 7.

Kevin I know thaaaaat. I didn't like that design on the Nexus 7 and it hasn't grown on me since. I know someone somewhere on some planet in some solar system in some galaxy in some parallel universe may think its attractive but I'm not that someone.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I will probably choose both as long as the iPhone 6 has a larger screen. I think that I need the iPhone's screen to be five inches to be happy with it.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm very happy with my GS4 so neither.
But if I was out of contract, I'll go for the GS5, definitely! 👍👦

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm really hoping that Samsung does something new and delivers unquestionable build quality AND premium build materials. They know that's what the consumers want and, to me, there's just no good excuse anymore (not that there ever was) to not get the S5 perfect in these regards. Say what you want about the iPhone 5S but only those in denial would say it doesn't look and feel like a premium piece of equipment. There's no reason the S5 can't surpass it in that regard.

Sent from my liberated titanium 5s 32

Maybe I'm the only one with a form deficiency of some sort. I would say that an iPhone 5S looks and feels like a small smartphone.

I honestly don't begin to understand the preference for HTC or Apple's products' builds and the disdain for Samsung's products' builds. It could be that I don't understand it because these things truly don't matter to me at all. I'm like that with most things and people who know me say that I value function over form. On a scale of 100, I would put function at 99 and form at one.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It could be that I don't understand it because these things truly don't matter to me at all.

Yeahp, that could be it. If you don't care about build quality and materials you don't care about them. ...but some enthusiasts do. It's not a plastic prejudice either, the LG's G Pro 2 has some plastic too, but the design is nicely done IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress