email sucking 700mb of data in 5 days

Foxtrot_01

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,
I am on my 5-6th day with the Galaxy S5, I have unlimited data plan but after 2GB it slows down a lot. I checked and most of my data(aprox 700mb in 6 days) is being used by email. I have 4 email accounts on the phone, a yahoo account that has about 5000 emails, the rest are just 5-12 emails. I think opening email and loading up the 5000 emails on yahoo is what is sucking my data. Is there anyway of limiting the amount of email on the accounts? just keep it under 50?

Any help is much appreciated.

I try to connect at the wifi at work but it says it's out of range, the funny thing is that I have my old Iphone 4 right next to me without sim and it connects with the wifi without a problem(full bars).
On the iphone I had about 8 email accounts and never sucked this much data.

data usage.jpg

Screenshot_2014-04-17-10-41-21.jpg

photo.png

Last edited:

Foxtrot_01

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
actually I do have unlimited data plan, I was grandfathered in because my old plan. I just checked my ATT account and still I have unlimited, they just slow down the speed after 2Gb.

anon(8702321)

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Oh, huh. Sorry I assumed you had tmobile like I do. Because you dont get throttled unless you dont have the true unlimited plan.

Posted via Android Central App

Foxtrot_01

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I went to ATT, it seems that since I have around 6000+ messages on a yahoo account, the phone will download a good chunk from the server hence the spike in data used, since it already downloaded they say I might have this spike in email anymore.

killakumes

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Lol I was grandfathered in the same as you. Moral of the story is since they throttle youre definitely paying wayyyyyy too much than you have to for data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

MW91301

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to **** in I have question if Ok. When you say slows down after 2 Gigs is that per day or per month? I am thinking of upgradding to same S5 phone and have unlimited data plan I do not want to end even though I don't use much I figure once I leave the 3g world I will use much more some times as a hot spot in my RV. Any way your experiences are very educational thank you

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to **** in I have question if Ok. When you say slows down after 2 Gigs is that per day or per month? I am thinking of upgradding to same S5 phone and have unlimited data plan I do not want to end even though I don't use much I figure once I leave the 3g world I will use much more some times as a hot spot in my RV. Any way your experiences are very educational thank you

They mean per month. After 5 GB of data on AT&T unlimited you get throttled.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
That still seems rather high. Normally your phone....oh god. Is your phone using POP3 instead of IMAP?? POP3 downloads a lot more data, IMAP can be set to pull like the 20 most recent and not even the full message data. Check how your app is set to sync up.

I have total unlimited on Sprint, in one of the regions where the network isn't even broken luckily. But I generally do not go over 5GB on even a busy day...