If you don't use the TouchWiz stock launcher....

Musket

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Nova Prime with the Vibe icon pack by Stealthychief.

I've got Nova nicely customised with a bunch of custom gestures and some icons do double duty where if you tap it launches one app and if you swipe up on them it launches another. So for example if I tap on the messages icon on the dock it launches the regular messaging app, but if I swipe up then it launches Google Hangouts.

The new Touchwiz is ok, but Nova is just better, you can design it to look and work exactly how you want!

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Guess I'm the first Action Launcher user. Single Screen, 5 folders in the dock. Muzei wallpaper, 500px rotation.

Posted via Android Central App

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Would someone who has used BOTH Nova and Apex Launchers tell me the difference between the two? A lot more people seem to be using Nova and I would like to know if it's that much better. I have been using Apex for a couple years now.

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I actually have no issues using TouchWiz what so ever, however I still use Nova Launcher Prime due to more customization and features.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Lightning Launcher is a fast, light and extremely customizable launcher. Lightning is the launcher of choice for people who want a butter smooth, light on memory and tailor-made home screen replacement. Unlike most traditional launchers, Lightning lets you place items everywhere on the desktop, not only to the left or right sides, but also on pages above and below. Think of the desktop as an unlimited canvas extending in both horizontal and vertical directions instead of a strip, and you will get the idea. This mean: as many pages as you need, more space for your apps, and faster navigation. Lightning has some interesting features, such as being able to put widgets in folders (and even other folders for hierarchical navigation), or letting you freely move, scale and rotate any items (note: detach the item from the grid to enable rotate/scale). Oh, and did I mentioned that LL was light on memory, leaving more RAM for your apps ? With its wide set of options and switches, LL is the most customizable launcher, albeit perhaps not the easiest to configure yet! Agreed, as most powerful tools, LL has a learning curve. But isn't that a small price to pay to get the most exciting and unique home screen ;-)

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...net.pierrox.lightning_launcher&token=qez_wZzM

ACelts

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Aviate, I just like the simplicity of it. Can't do anywhere near nova/apex (i've used them both and for Greg C. - I've never really noticed a difference between the two) but Aviate makes it feel like everything I actually want is always right in front of me. Combining Aviate + Cover is such a smooth Android experience.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Would someone who has used BOTH Nova and Apex Launchers tell me the difference between the two? A lot more people seem to be using Nova and I would like to know if it's that much better. I have been using Apex for a couple years now.

I've used both, but to be honest, it's been quite a while since I've used Apex.

Both are pretty solid, IMO, but at the time when I tried them both out, I just liked Nova a little bit better...and now that I've paid for Nova Prime, I haven't had any incentive to switch back and/or try Apex out again. I really don't think you can wrong with either.

I actually have no issues using TouchWiz what so ever, however I still use Nova Launcher Prime due to more customization and features.

For many, that's all it really is. I've never had a problem with Touchwiz, and some of the widgets are pretty nice, but I really like the ability to expand the icon rows and columns in both the homescreens and app drawers...basically, Nova (or Apex or [fill in the blank, etc]) simply has more customizable options, which is why I really prefer to use it over the built-in TW launcher.

I also like having the ability to easily backup/restore my homescreen configs with Nova

Google experience launcher

Sent from my SM-G900V using AC Forums mobile app

FWIW, I believe it's actually the "Google Now Launcher"...

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.google.android.launcher&token=oSWbqTBD

And much like Touchwiz, I think it's "alright", but my main reason against using it is the fact that I can't expand the number of rows/columns on my screens and app drawer.

EDIT: Oh, and just a note to anyone that is sideloading the GNL onto their S5...
http://www.androidcentral.com/word-caution-using-google-now-launcher-samsung-galaxy-s5

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Did you just download the apk using the browser on the S5?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Yep. You can download it using the browser. Make sure to turn on the "Allow unknown sources" in your security settings. But, be sure to turn it off after you are done.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I've used both, but to be honest, it's been quite a while since I've used Apex.

Both are pretty solid, IMO, but at the time when I tried them both out, I just liked Nova a little bit better...and now that I've paid for Nova Prime, I haven't had any incentive to switch back and/or try Apex out again. I really don't think you can wrong with either.

Just to update my previous post...just found this relevant thread on Reddit...
Is Nova Launcher dead? : Android

It appears as though Nova may no longer by actively receiving updates, so if you're on the fence regarding Apex or Nova (especially if you're planning on spending money on one or the other), this make you want to sway towards Apex...or any of the other launchers mentioned on this thread.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
It's an amazing launcher, I've tried 4-5 others and Nova is still the best.

Congrats on being a father.

I don't know exactly how OS updates work. What's after Kit Kat, how/will this affect Nova when Google releases the next OS/Lollypop?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
It's an amazing launcher, I've tried 4-5 others and Nova is still the best.

Congrats on being a father.

I don't know exactly how OS updates work. What's after Kit Kat, how/will this affect Nova when Google releases the next OS/Lollypop?

Not sure who that was directed towards...it's the Nova Launcher developer that recently became a father, and has apparently for that reason ceased development (somewhat understandably).

As far as what does it mean? Who knows really?...but the short version is that it *may* not work with future Android versions, and there *may* not be any updates to fix it if that's the case.

Just something to consider if you're thinking about spending any money on the Prime version of the app.

pagehite

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Does no one use ADW? I have it on my S5 and my Note 10.1 2014, and have been quite happy with it. Do any of the other launchers have obvious advantages over ADW or should I just go with what I know?

DudeThatsErin

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Is this the same launcher that runs stock on the Nexus 5?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I could be wrong but I have to say no. Nexus 5 uses stock android...totally different.
It is a launcher that brings that experience to devices that don't run stock android, like Samsung devices.

As for what launcher I use, I use Nova Launcher Prime. I don't have a screenshot as I am using my iPhone 5 right now due to the fact that my s4 is giving me WAYYY too many errors for me to deal with...but I am looking to purchase a new phone in the coming months.