Verizon Galaxy S5 Update to Android 4.4.4 Issues

George McCullen

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I got the update last night and I had problems with the Basic Voicemail activation. Call Verizon support and got it fixed, but I also noticed the LTE was on all the time even with the WiFi connected. I ask support why and was told that the Visual Voicemail now using only the LTE for voicemail, not WiFi. I again asked why and was told that it is part of the move to VoLte (Voice over LTE). That means once VoLte is fully operational, the LTE will be connected all the time. OK! My next question was will my mobile data be flowing over WiFi with voice only on LTE. I was told yes. I wait to see if that is true. As for a time frame when VoLTE is fully operational and was told soon. As a side note, my VZ Navigator will only work on LTE. When the WiFi is connected, VZ Nav will not connect to its servers. Verizon Support is "looking into the issue".

Billylikes

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Having this same issue. I thought it was only because of the visual VM app that keeps the 4G icon on? I had that disabled in 4.4.2, like all VZW apps, however, you can't disable this one. I have seen decreased batter life, since this update. I was thinking it could be that 4G Radio on, while on WIFI... I am thinking this is the issue. Also, with any update, I did reset the phone. No fix after reset.

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I got the update last night and I had problems with the Basic Voicemail activation. Call Verizon support and got it fixed, but I also noticed the LTE was on all the time even with the WiFi connected. I ask support why and was told that the Visual Voicemail now using only the LTE for voicemail, not WiFi. I again asked why and was told that it is part of the move to VoLte (Voice over LTE). That means once VoLte is fully operational, the LTE will be connected all the time. OK! My next question was will my mobile data be flowing over WiFi with voice only on LTE. I was told yes. I wait to see if that is true. As for a time frame when VoLTE is fully operational and was told soon. As a side note, my VZ Navigator will only work on LTE. When the WiFi is connected, VZ Nav will not connect to its servers. Verizon Support is "looking into the issue".

Why would you pay to use VZ Nav when Google Maps is free on your phone and probably one of the best navigation apps out there ? Sorry I don't have a fix for your problem .

1Coopgt

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Having this same issue. I thought it was only because of the visual VM app that keeps the 4G icon on? I had that disabled in 4.4.2, like all VZW apps, however, you can't disable this one. I have seen decreased batter life, since this update. I was thinking it could be that 4G Radio on, while on WIFI... I am thinking this is the issue. Also, with any update, I did reset the phone. No fix after reset.

When you're on WIFI the phone isn't using 4g. Look at the little arrows under the 4g symbol. are the arrows lit up , they aren't on mine . The little arrows are lit up under the WIFI signal though. Verizon doesn't let us have Download booster which can use WIFI and 4G at the same time . If you are experiencing battery drain I'm thinking it's something else causing it .

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Having this same issue. I thought it was only because of the visual VM app that keeps the 4G icon on? I had that disabled in 4.4.2, like all VZW apps, however, you can't disable this one.

are you sure about that?

make sure that you bring up the VM app in Settings/apps/app mgr/ALL

for some reason, it must be in the ALL category to turn off the junk apps.
also, sometimes you have to do it several times.

For instance, I had to try 3 times to get VZW's Antivirus app to turn off. It ignored the first 2 attempts.

I did not allow the 4.4.4 update to occur, don't think I ever will.

StevenBaker

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

I am also facing the same problem, but I didn't get any solution of it. If you will get. then reply me too.

Drummerboy1975

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I hope everyone who's updating their phones realize that by doing so through an unsecured WiFi connection is taking a big risk at getting a faulty update. It's best to go to your provider and do it. Myself for instance, I go to the Samsung booth at my local BestBuy and have them do it for free.

rickap7

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I called both Verizon and Samsung regarding the 4G and WiFi being lit up and showing both arrows being lit up.
Neither had a clue.
Samsung told me to goto Best Buy(with Samsung station inside) and get the phone flashed and after doing it the update (4.4.4-bluetooth"fix") is no longer on the phone and seems to be back to normal.
Hope this helps

italyguy01

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Performed this update the other day.

I was playing around and switched from pattern security to fingerprint. Then I deleted fingerprint and went back to pattern security. Here is the thing.... Maybe someone else can help explain:

When I set up pattern security, it will ask you for a backup PIN number. So I entered it. (Nowhere does it ask you for this pin if you get the pattern wrong????)

Before, when I would do the pattern wrong, a message would pop up saying that "You have incorrectly did the pattern, 9 more tries before the phone is reset" Or something like that. Now it NEVER gives that warning, just says incorrect pattern? (Yes this feature IS turned on) Did they change something??? (does phone still reset after 10 attempts but no warnings?)

Thanks

jodesb

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Since I installed the update, my apps will not update in the play store. They are just constantly downloading/installing. This is happening whether I am connected to WiFi or not. Is anyone else having this issue or know of a fix?

Shadowhawk

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon GS5 does seem to be going through it's battery more quickly. It just doesnt' seem to last as long...There have been a couple of days on which it only lasted about 60 percent as long. I've only had it in its normal environment for a few days, though, with the new update, so I'll keep watching it to be sure.

More importantly, however, it now seems to drop its connection to wifi networks (home, and now, a hotel room's) after some amount of time, so that I think I'm streaming or downloading or whatever via wifi, but it's actually not connected, and I'm doing it through Verizon. That's going to be horrendous for my Verizon data usage limits!

Anyone else have problems with their wifi connections dropping? Anyone found a fix?

UPDATE: I found a wifi dropping after 4.4.4 update thread, but it's on a Moto G...I can't post links yet (post count threshold on AndroidCentral), but it's here without the http part: forums.androidcentral.com/moto-g-2013/415557-wifi-problems-since-4-4-4-update.html

ahzaidi55

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
I have ATT S5 and once I upgraded, I noticed that wifi would connect but only for a split second and then I would be back to 4G. And because of the constant switching, i have trouble using the internet with any speed at all. Does anyone have a remedy for this? I find it kind of weird that they say this was to fix some bugs but I think they just introduced some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress