Trying to decide. S5 or lg g3.

cedjunior

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up a G3. Like you, my choices were that, or an S5. My previous phone was the Galaxy S3. Honestly the only thing I find the Galaxy line to be superior to the G3 is the AMOLED screen. The contrast even on my GS3 is way better than my new G3.

There were some issues with my GS3 that soured me against the S5, like the text message previews on the lock screen that you could not remove. That bugged the hell out of me. The fact that Samsung thought an LED that blinks every 5 seconds was adequate infuriated me. If you weren't staring at your phone you'd miss it. Third party apps helped that at first, but started to act weird after the last update. I also wasn't too excited about the chrome bezel around the phone.

Over all I'm pleased with my G3 purchase and would do it again.

Allenhardiman

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Just for the record one of my friends has an s5 and I held my g3 up to her phone and there is a huge difference in resolution. In fact, she was super jealous lol. S5 still a great phone but anyone who thinks this 5.5 quad hd display doesn't show is just jealous and in denial lol

Sorry but when I had the g3 although the screen is great, its color looks dull compared to the s5. It is also not bright enough to read in the daylight. Also, when you turn the brightness to full, the phone will start to heat up

Posted via the Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but when I had the g3 although the screen is great, its color looks dull compared to the s5. It is also not bright enough to read in the daylight. Also, when you turn the brightness to full, the phone will start to heat up

I keep reading similar sentiments on the G3. For now, I'm glad I decided against getting it to keep my Note 4 company.

briannamarie91

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

Haven't experienced any problems with this. Phone is very bright and does not heat up at all. I have the 32/3 verison maybe this has something to do with it

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
In the summer, I work in the out of doors, and the S5's screen has done a really good job for me. I can see it in direct sunlight if necessary....

Most of my co-workers have to find a shade tree or get back into their truck to see their phone screens.

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
G3. Better screen.

How can it be better when the brightness is lower,

the color saturation is weaker,

and daylight visibility is almost nil.

the size difference is too small to even be considered as is the pixel count difference.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I know this is the s5 section but I'd like some unbiased opinions of the two. Obviously a 1/2" bigger screen on the lg in almost the same footprint is nice. And it looks a hell of a lot nicer. It's the overheating issues I keep hearing about of the lg that scares me. I guess I'm looking for reliability info. Reviews and comparisons are great but don't often touch on long term reliability etc. Both phones seem amazing but I want the one that will have the least issues and be reliable. What issues will I be guaranteed to face with the s5 even with a good handset? S5 seems to have the better battery life which is no surprise with the lgs quad hd larger screen.
Any input would be great.
Thanks.

I haven't used the S5 more then checking out a friend's S5 to see how different it felt in my hand from the S4 (which I used to have). I currently have the G3 and did a short writeup on my experiences comparing the 2. I wrote it for another android site so until they post it I would be willing to DM you a link to it (it's on my Google Drive).

In short, from my experience the thermal issues happen rarely enough that it's not an issue for me. Other stuff that stood out to me is the screen technology (AMOLED vs LCD), camera, and other miscellaneous stuff that I found is in the article. If you're interested let me know.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had a couple of S5's and never had a problem with them at all. Never had any heating issues (and I always kept them in cases). Both times I had the device the experience was always good.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
S5 still a great phone but anyone who thinks this 5.5 quad hd display doesn't show is just jealous and in denial lol

Or they could be knowledgeable of the facts as I have explained below.

As for the resolution it is noticeably Better (to me) but that doesn't mean that the s5 resolution is bad.

No offense but you must have super human eyesight then. There's a difference between display size and resolution. The G3 and S5 have two different sized displays and the G3's is 0.4" bigger. That would be a noticeable difference. However, individual pixels cannot be discerned on the S5. Because of this, it is impossible that the larger resolution of the G3 would actually be "visible." It is currently impossible to see individual pixels on either phone. That means each phone is going to look exactly the same in terms of reading text. The display sizes are way too small to see any difference in watching 1080p and 4K videos. So any differences in the displays, at this point, are going to be between their sizes and color reproduction (which are completely subjective and up to personal opinion). The pixel density (and thus, resolution) isn't going to make a difference (this is a scientific fact based on the limit of the human eye).

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I

No offense but you must have super human eyesight then. There's a difference between display size and resolution. The G3 and S5 have two different sized displays and the G3's is 0.4" bigger. That would be a noticeable difference. However, individual pixels cannot be discerned on the S5. Because of this, it is impossible that the larger resolution of the G3 would actually be "visible." It is currently impossible to see individual pixels on either phone. That means each phone is going to look exactly the same in terms of reading text. The display sizes are way too small to see any difference in watching 1080p and 4K videos. So any differences in the displays, at this point, are going to be between their sizes and color reproduction (which are completely subjective and up to personal opinion). The pixel density (and thus, resolution) isn't going to make a difference (this is a scientific fact based on the limit of the human eye).

Well, this is a loosely related example:

I have the Note 3 and the Note 4. I can see, admittingly I have try, the pixel residue (I'm just calling it that, don't let undies get bunched) on my Note 3. It's display is still gorgeously sharp but if I get very close I can tell it's not as sharp as the Note 4. The difference isn't anything to whine about that's for sure.

So, I wonder if the G3 and S5 screens may show a similar difference.

briannamarie91

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

Lol no I do not have super human eyes but the resolutions are noticeably different. And my boyfriend and friend agreed when we held her s5 next to my LG g3 it was definitely different. Especially in the sharpness of text and home screen icons. I recommend doing this before doubting it. And if the human eye can't detect better resolutions why would these companies be spending money on constantly making them better? Lol. Even tvs and laptops. Next thing you're gonna say is you can't notice a difference from s5 to note 4. Of course you can. The ppis are higher for a reason. Maybe while not watching 4k movies but in sharpness yes the G3 is better. I had an s5 the saturation was better though. Please hold one up side by side before debunking the obvious truth. Brightness has never been an issue for me but Between the bigger screen and small bezels and better resolution the G3 screen is better than the s5 screen. That's the only conclusion I made. S5 and g3 both great phones which one is right for each person depends on a number of factors.

drtre6

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
LG G3 hands down. I had a s5 for a week and it's boring. Huge screen, great hands on feel, small bezels and the feel of a small phone with a big phone experience. Smooth interface, great camera, battery is OK. Screen resolution will blow s5 away. Look on YouTube comparing s5 to g3 you can see specs and other opinions as well! I have a samsung tab but the phones made of plastic feel cheap in the hands Idk why. The brush metal on g3 feels better. When samsung makes metal gakaxy s series it'll be a competition

Lol no I do not have super human eyes but the resolutions are noticeably different. And my boyfriend and friend agreed when we held her s5 next to my LG g3 it was definitely different. Especially in the sharpness of text and home screen icons. I recommend doing this before doubting it. And if the human eye can't detect better resolutions why would these companies be spending money on constantly making them better? Lol. Even tvs and laptops. Next thing you're gonna say is you can't notice a difference from s5 to note 4. Of course you can. The ppis are higher for a reason. Maybe while not watching 4k movies but in sharpness yes the G3 is better. I had an s5 the saturation was better though. Please hold one up side by side before debunking the obvious truth. Brightness has never been an issue for me but Between the bigger screen and small bezels and better resolution the G3 screen is better than the s5 screen. That's the only conclusion I made. S5 and g3 both great phones which one is right for each person depends on a number of factors.

Agreed. The g3 has a noticeable difference in sharpness. I have a note edge and there is also a difference between this resolution to my old s5.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The only edge G3 screen has over S5 is resolution/sharpness, which is obvious (QHD, FHD). But it's only noticeable when you put them side by side and look for it.

In other things like brightness, contrast, rich color and power efficiency of panel, S5 screen wins by significant margin. This is confirmed by reputable review sites like Anandtech, GSMarena and Display mate with measured data. Even compared to its predecessor G2, G3 screen looks noticeably dull. The real great QHD screen is on Note 4. It's got QHD resolution too but without shortcomings of G3 mentioned above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress