Contemplating moving over to an iPhone 6...

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
So I have had the edge since it came out and love the phone. I have used Android since switching from the iPhone 3G I believe, whichever was one of the first models. I love the idea of open source and being able to do whatever I want with my Android phone. However, recently at work they provided us with an iPhone 6. I have been using it the last couple of days and there are a few things I noticed that I truly miss.

True app switching - My edge still has problems switching apps. I can literally go between Instagram and FB Messenger and the Instagram app will load all the way back to the top, losing my place. The iPhone has zero problems with this it seems.

Fingerprint scanner - Just works on the iPhone. I never have any problems with it not reading my print.

Battery Life - Seriously the standby time and battery drain on the iPhone is night and day better than my edge. The edge literally cannot make it through one full day for me through moderate use. I just get awful battery life with it and it is becoming annoying to charge it 2, 3 times a day.

I know switching means I lose a lot of the Google services I enjoy, but it just feels like an overall better phone at the moment. I have still been able to find an Android phone that just works. Any thoughts/opinions on this, or has anyone felt, done, or been in the same situation?

I should add that my GF and almost everyone I know owns an iPhone and it is frustrating not being able to send videos/etc. to them or getting choppy quality videos. I know they will never switch to Android either. :(

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm going back to the iPhone when the 6s comes out in the Fall. There are some things I'll miss about the GS6 but there are more things I miss about the iPhone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
So I have had the edge since it came out and love the phone. I have used Android since switching from the iPhone 3G I believe, whichever was one of the first models. I love the idea of open source and being able to do whatever I want with my Android phone. However, recently at work they provided us with an iPhone 6. I have been using it the last couple of days and there are a few things I noticed that I truly miss.

True app switching - My edge still has problems switching apps. I can literally go between Instagram and FB Messenger and the Instagram app will load all the way back to the top, losing my place. The iPhone has zero problems with this it seems.

Fingerprint scanner - Just works on the iPhone. I never have any problems with it not reading my print.

Battery Life - Seriously the standby time and battery drain on the iPhone is night and day better than my edge. The edge literally cannot make it through one full day for me through moderate use. I just get awful battery life with it and it is becoming annoying to charge it 2, 3 times a day.

I know switching means I lose a lot of the Google services I enjoy, but it just feels like an overall better phone at the moment. I have still been able to find an Android phone that just works. Any thoughts/opinions on this, or has anyone felt, done, or been in the same situation?

I should add that my GF and almost everyone I know owns an iPhone and it is frustrating not being able to send videos/etc. to them or getting choppy quality videos. I know they will never switch to Android either. :(
I like the Motorola droids (4G)
My first was the RAZR HD...solid performance... Good battery life..so 2yrs later I got the Droid RAZR Maxx HD..
Big 3300 mAh battery would easily go all day and all night on one charge..that and the 32 gigabyte internal memory made for awesome performance the whole two years I used it..So my last upgrade is this Droid Maxx...but this beast goes two full days on a single charge..thanks to its hefty 3500 mAh batt..I watch alot of videos, play games and surf the web and it seems that battery just goes and goes and goes some more..I kid you not!
Its fast processor is amazing... No buffering on this bad boy..lol
I've had this phone for about three mos now on the road with me, and being a long haul truck driver I needed a phone like this..fast, dependable and fantastic batt life makes this phone the best I've owned to date..just sayin

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I should mention I'm also on T-Mobile, there are no droids with big whopping batteries. And no I don't want a note because I don't need an extremely large phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I should mention I'm also on T-Mobile, there are no droids with big whopping batteries. And no I don't want a note because I don't need an extremely large phone.

Well whatever you get I hope it works out for ya!

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I also come from the iPhone family. I had the 1st iPhone to the iPhone 4s. Afterwards I just wanted a bigger screen and bought the Galaxy s3 and wow it was night and day. Went to the s4 and then LG g2 and LG g3 then to the Note 4 and now with the s6 edge. I love the phone and it was a tough choice because I was going to go back to iPhone with the iPhone 6. I just get so bored with the iPhone! I have 2 mac's, the iPad air and both my kids just got the iPhone 6. Most of my friends and hubs don't own the iPhone so I don't feel the need to imessage. I could do so much with Android, I know I would miss it too much. Going to see how it goes and if the phone continues to be lag free for me I won't jump to iPhone 6s.. Every Android I've own starts to lag within a few months of owning it no matter what I do. The iPhone is solid with zero lag and as you stated the finger print scanner is perfection and battery life is so much better with the iPhone. Has its cons and pros.

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I also come from the iPhone family. I had the 1st iPhone to the iPhone 4s. Afterwards I just wanted a bigger screen and bought the Galaxy s3 and wow it was night and day. Went to the s4 and then LG g2 and LG g3 then to the Note 4 and now with the s6 edge. I love the phone and it was a tough choice because I was going to go back to iPhone with the iPhone 6. I just get so bored with the iPhone! I have 2 mac's, the iPad air and both my kids just got the iPhone 6. Most of my friends and hubs don't own the iPhone so I don't feel the need to imessage. I could do so much with Android, I know I would miss it too much. Going to see how it goes and if the phone continues to be lag free for me I won't jump to iPhone 6s.. Every Android I've own starts to lag within a few months of owning it no matter what I do. The iPhone is solid with zero lag and as you stated the finger print scanner is perfection and battery life is so much better with the iPhone. Has its cons and pros.
Is the newest iPhone bendable?
Seriously I've read about the iPhone bending super easy...seen pics of one that bent in a front pocket..I wouldn't like that at all.... I think after taking things into account the iPhone is overrated and overpriced ...but that's just me I reckon...

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I just tried out an iPhone 6 Plus. It was my first experience iOS. It was definitely a major letdown. I had more apps force stop on me in 2 weeks than I've had in 4 years of owning Android phones. My last two Android phone have been the Droid Maxx and the Droid Turbo. Battery life on both was better than the 6 Plus. Also, the Droid phone are MUCH faster than the iPhones. Got those who say that the iPhones "just work" or don't lag, I don't know what to say other than my experiences were totally different. Oh, and the Android notifications experience is a whole lot better than iOS. I can certainly see why some people like iOS. It has a nice look and iMessage and Facetime seem great, but the overall package on Android (speed, performance, battery, etc.) win the day for me.

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Is the newest iPhone bendable?
Seriously I've read about the iPhone bending super easy...seen pics of one that bent in a front pocket..I wouldn't like that at all.... I think after taking things into account the iPhone is overrated and overpriced ...but that's just me I reckon...

The iPhone 6 plus is bendable lol. The 6 plus is huge and extremely uncomfortable to hold in the hand.. The screen isn't so big, it needs less bezel. However the iPhone 6 is nice to hold in the hand and hasn't had the bending issue. The iPhone isn't much more money than our edge... I have to say the edge s6 blows the iPhone 6 in looks for sure, finally.

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I just tried out an iPhone 6 Plus. It was my first experience iOS. It was definitely a major letdown. I had more apps force stop on me in 2 weeks than I've had in 4 years of owning Android phones. My last two Android phone have been the Droid Maxx and the Droid Turbo. Battery life on both was better than the 6 Plus. Also, the Droid phone are MUCH faster than the iPhones. Got those who say that the iPhones "just work" or don't lag, I don't know what to say other than my experiences were totally different. Oh, and the Android notifications experience is a whole lot better than iOS. I can certainly see why some people like iOS. It has a nice look and iMessage and Facetime seem great, but the overall package on Android (speed, performance, battery, etc.) win the day for me.

I definitely like the new lollipop notifications much better now and it definitely beats the iPhones notifications.

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone 6 plus is bendable lol. The 6 plus is huge and extremely uncomfortable to hold in the hand.. The screen isn't so big, it needs less bezel. However the iPhone 6 is nice to hold in the hand and hasn't had the bending issue. The iPhone isn't much more money than our edge... I have to say the edge s6 blows the iPhone 6 in looks for sure, finally.
Interesting...I've never held the Edge...but this Droid Maxx has a 5" screen that is almost too big, lol
(I think, can't remember for sure)...its plenty big and bright and makes reading the display very comfortable for me
I don't think I would like a bigger screen personally...

rsgoldens

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I also had the very first iPhone 3S. It died on me so I switched to a blackberry and then went to the OG Droid. I was on Android until January when I went ahead and switched to the 6 Plus. I have the S6E for work. I have to say I love my 6 Plus. We spend most of our time in apps anyway and so while the customization isn't there on ios, you really don't spend that much time out of apps... The battery life is great and while my iMessage freezes occasionally it's easy to fix. The screen is beautiful and with the right case it feels nice in your hand. I didn't have to disable anything to get good battery life either like I always have to with Android. So for an every day driver, the iPhone is much more reliable. I never thought I would say it, but it took until this big of a screen for Apple to win me over. I've seriously had almost every flagship Android phone (OG Droid, Razr, Razr Maxx, SIII, S4, LG G3, S5, Note 4 and S6E), and I rarely keep a phone more than 6 months. I still love my 6 Plus after eight months, but I may upgrade when the new one comes out, but it's practically a record for me to have kept this phone for this long. Good luck in whatever you do! You have to go with what works for you.

Last edited:

gummyjelly

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I've never held the Droid Maxx either. I think the note 4 might be bigger which is what I jumped from. The note 4 for me was uncomfortable to hold in my hand and the iPhone 6 plus even worse since it has way more bezel.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Both operating systems are great. but I am curious. You said work already gave you an iPhone, wouldn't you just be carrying iPhones, one personal , one work?

Fingerprint reader - S6 finger print reader works just as well as the iPhone.

App switching isn't a big deal for me. But you are correct, iPhone / iOS handle video, picture messages, videos in FB / G+ etc. 10X better than Any android device.

Battery Life - yep. My S6 edge loses 35% to 40% over night while I sleep. I charge it each morning while in the shower, but it does make it thru the day with no issues. My iPhone loses 1-2% over night while I sleep.

Nearly All google services are available on iPhone.

I carry an iPhone 6 AND the S6 Edge. I love both.

Wall of auto arrange icons get boring. Quickly. But you will get updates the day they come out, not 3 to 16 months later.

I prefer my S6 over my iPhone, but I get why people like iPhone.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
These are my battery stats from today. Not impressed. I cannot figure out why cell standby is so high. I powered off and on and it didn't do anything. It's just become a nuisance with the whole trying to figure out why the battery is awful.

Attachments

• 3286.jpg
    3286.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 3287.jpg
    3287.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 121

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
There's something wrong with the S6's RAM management.

It's so bad that even Yarrell himself disliked the S6 due to that, even going as far as calling it a "Lagsung".

(Yeah, I saw him say that, which was actually a big surprise)

Swimtowin206

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
I recently got a MacBook, and love the way it just works. I've had every Samsung since the S2 and have always held out because of the customization options, but iPhones are so simple to jailbreak that I think I'd rather get something that just worked out of the box.

My edge worked fantastically for about the first week, and now things have gone drastically down hill. Apps constantly freeze, occasionally my home button will fail to take me to the home screen (it's not broken because it always wakes the device).

I think there should be a new edition of the iPhone coming out in the fall, and I'll be quite ready to switch over to a device that just works. The S6 has some amazing traits, but I can't use a phone that won't work on the most basic level when I need it to.

Android on Fire🔥

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I would go back to the iPhone in a heartbeat.

sLithery

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
~30 mins of playing + ~30mins of watching streams with my twitch app and I drove like 2 hours with LTE on.

I also use some widgets:
First page: Weather (homescreen)
Second page: News and Smart Manager
Third page: Spotify, Shazam and Soundcloud.

I put my screen on around 50% brightness.

And I'm using the Nova launcher.

Not sure if I forgot something to add.

Attachments

• 740.jpg
    740.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 743.jpg
    743.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 742.jpg
    742.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 741.jpg
    741.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 68

Swimtowin206

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
That's some great battery life you're getting. I will often leave my phone for an hour or two only to come back and be ~25% less than when I left.

Android on Fire🔥

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch