Early S6 users, how's your battery life?

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
You're on the right track here. This is definitely a cell standby issue, but who the culprit is is still up for debate. It's not uncommon in Android Lollipop, so that's my first instinct.

Posted via the Android Central App

Agreed. But I'm sure if it's just a standby issue, the carriers and Samsung will all be working furiously to fix it. Even if it's an Android issue and not related to any carrier specific software, they'd be all over Android. If this issue is not fixed within a month, I really think it will turn the S6 into a failure instead of a record breaking success. Samsung and the carriers I'm sure are intelligent enough to realize this and this isn't just a "we'll fix it in the next version of Android" type issue.

I personally know that if my device isn't working properly once my 14 day return policy comes near the end, I will be returning it.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My moto x with Android 5.0 had horrible standby cell time. My phone would shut off during the night. This is an android issue. Not so much the phone.

yup, boggles my mind how iPhone loses 1-2% and android 10-20% ... this has been going on for years and Google just can't figure their battery or for whatever reason. and I believe they both use the same battery, so it's just a software issue

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. But I'm sure if it's just a standby issue, the carriers and Samsung will all be working furiously to fix it. Even if it's an Android issue and not related to any carrier specific software, they'd be all over Android. If this issue is not fixed within a month, I really think it will turn the S6 into a failure instead of a record breaking success. Samsung and the carriers I'm sure are intelligent enough to realize this and this isn't just a "we'll fix it in the next version of Android" type issue.

I personally know that if my device isn't working properly once my 14 day return policy comes near the end, I will be returning it.

This is why I'm not making mountains out of molehills. Some people are treating this like it's the first launch, an early launch mind you, that's had a bug that affects battery life.

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I really really hope the ~5 hours becomes the norm with this phone once all the kinks are worked out. I know the difference between 4 hours and 5 hours doesn't sound like a lot, but it's really a huge difference even if it's mostly just in ease of mind. I usually use between 3-4 hours of SOT in a day. Going to bed with 15-20% instead of 1-5% is a huge difference in just ease of mind.

Agree that there is a HUGE difference between 3-4 hours
SOT and 5 to 5.5 hours SOT.

If you need phone for work/ business- below 4 hours SOT requires power management ( thinking about Phone ) and above 5 Hours SOT usually does not- kind of a threshold there.
Ideally 6 hours or more SOT for a workhorse Flagship....IMO.

Samsung mentions the 10 minute charge = 4 hours use in the Marketing- so they assume a mid day charge maybe- fair enough as long as Buyer knows going in..
Forums report all luckily.

I would rather pay $850 for a
S6 Pro with 3100 Mah and not worry about Battery at ALL !

jojen

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Yep, it may definitely be software related and I'm afraid that 5.0.2 Lollipop seems to still has the same but that affected most of not all Nexus and Motorola devices when Lollipop rolled out.

It does persist. 5.1 was supposed to address two major Lollipop bugs in 5.01 and 5.02. The first is a memory leak bug that affects performance by not returning memory after leaving apps that consume a lot of it which affects performance. The second is that All About Android hosts also mentioned that they were also told there's a mishandling of quad core operations in 5.01 and 5.02 causing quad core operations to get throttled. 5.1 was supposed to address that to allow full quad core CPU power when it's called on.

I say "supposed to" and "was" because the latest issue trackers I've read about say these issues (or at least the better known memory leak issue) are being reported as also being present in 5.1. Google says they've been fixed internally now though, so I guess now we're waiting for 5.1.1?

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
This is why I'm not making mountains out of molehills. Some people are treating this like it's the first launch, an early launch mind you, that's had a bug that affects battery life.

I wonder if T-mobile released it too early with unfinished firmware? It puzzles me how they could ship S6 this early when it's supposed to be 4/10 release officially. Given this early issues with cell stand-by, WiFi calling, I have to wonder how much it's different from pre-release international version. Can someone with T-mo S6 check baseband, kernel, build numbers and compare it to best buy demo unit?

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if T-mobile released it too early with unfinished firmware? It puzzles me how they could ship S6 this early when it's supposed to be 4/10 release officially. Given this early issues with cell stand-by, WiFi calling, I have to wonder how much it's different from pre-release international version. Can someone with T-mo S6 check baseband, kernal, build numbers and compare it to best buy demo unit?

I'd suggest waiting until more of us get these in hand from the other carriers. I'd love to be able to pinpoint the issue right now, but I don't have a T-Mobile S6 in house. As of right now, to my knowledge, this issue is only present in the T-Mobile variant. Could it be because they pushed the device out ahead of the official launch date? Yes, but we'll have to wait and see.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
So it looks like this person pretty much constantly used his device after taking it off the charger. 3hrs 11 mins on battery and 2hr 40 mins with screen on and he's at 64%. This would be in line with what phone arena said of between 7-8 hours of usage.
i don't know what magic potion that phone drank, but I doubt most people can reasonably expect 8 hr sot on a s6, even if you use it continuously.

edgefever

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Have you come across any reviews at all that were using other carriers? I just feel like that size battery should be able to do a lot better than its been,especially with the 14 nm chip. Or do you believe 3-3.5 sot is going to be what its end result will be. I'm dreading carrying my n6 all summer the beach .

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
i don't know what magic potion that phone drank, but I doubt most people can reasonably expect 8 hr sot on a s6, even if you use it continuously.

Samsung Galaxy S6 edge Review - Call quality, Battery and Conclusion

I think this phone is hands down the best in the business when it comes to battery efficiency under usage. Under constant usage and PhoneArena's "custom" test it outlasts the iphone 6 plus which is known for excellent battery life. What's the difference? The iPhone loses 1-2% of battery when idle for 8+ hours. The S6 is losing 30+% doing the same currently. This is why peoples ratings and screen on time are all over the place. The battery life on this phone has little to do with screen on time or battery intensive tasks, it has to do with how long it's been off the charger because I bet this thing couldn't even last 30 hours off of the charger without even turning the screen on.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
PA tested it at low brightness (180 nits). I can see it going over 7 hours at that brightness below 30%.

Then ignore the S6 edge numbers and look at the regular S6 numbers. That was tested at 200 nits, the same as every other phone it is being compared to.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nothing is disabled. I have facebook, instagram, gmail, etc. all with no restriction. The only thing I did different was connected to WiFi overnight.

Looks like your wifi calling is off though -- since you're on wifi without it.

I only disabled the ant+ stuff. I have everything else (syncs, all that jazz) still on.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Looks like your wifi calling is off though -- since you're on wifi without it.

I only disabled the ant+ stuff. I have everything else (syncs, all that jazz) still on.
Oh, yeah, I always turn WiFi calling off. But I'm not sure if that affects battery life or not while not in use.