Early S6 users, how's your battery life?

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Every person I know is not a heavy user, based on the statistics provided on these forums. Most of my Co workers and peers use their phone light to medium, they're not phone enthusiasts such as us and can get through the day on their phone. Maybe the average consumer isn't consumed so much by the battery as we are? When I discuss phones with them battery is never a topic, more so is performance or screen clarity. Maybe the manufacturers know what is larger demographic wants versus what the techie guys want? Just saying

Posted via the Android Central App

The battery endurance is average on purpose, if the device was perfect we wouldn't want to upgrade. Battery life will continue to get much better than what we have now until battery range anxiety is all but eliminated.

dreaming of electric sheep

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Mine has been getting better and better for the past 3 days, only thing different is that I got rid of my previous weather widget that I was using for the past 2 years and set Xwidgets with a Custom Made widget that looks very close to Original S6 Weather widget, this to work with third party launchers like Nova and others,

Surprisingly, the first day I got an average of 8 hours of SoT, this with more than 3 hours of Bluetooth and Android wear use, that I previously mentioned that I can see about 1 hour less of SoT when using my Android Wear all day. Yesterday, a regular working day for me with full day of Android wear, where I was averaging 5.5 hours of SoT, yesterday I had 7 hours, and today, I stayed at home, so I haven't used my Android Wear but I've been using the phone a lot, I have 89% left, unplugged 4 hours ago with 1 hour of SoT, that average for an insane of at least 8 plus hours.

Until I got the S6 edge, my best overall phone ever was the Sony Xperia Z3, now it is the S6 edge, overall, but I know that the best battery life was from the Z3, now, surprisingly, my S6 edge is been giving me battery life very close to what I got with the Z3, but the Z3 has a 3100 mAh battery on a Full HD screen, that tells you a lot and it's simply amazing.

Screenshot_2015-05-17-20-46-08.png Screenshot_2015-05-17-20-46-18.png

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Every person I know is not a heavy user, based on the statistics provided on these forums. Most of my Co workers and peers use their phone light to medium, they're not phone enthusiasts such as us and can get through the day on their phone. Maybe the average consumer isn't consumed so much by the battery as we are? When I discuss phones with them battery is never a topic, more so is performance or screen clarity. Maybe the manufacturers know what is larger demographic wants versus what the techie guys want? Just saying

unfortunately I think u guys are right. these companies spend millions on research so they obviously know what the masses consider important

MonkeyNews

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Work up at 7 with full charge and have only just put it back on charge half an hour ago, not because I needed too necessarily but the option was there. I was on 60%. Very impressed. Admitidly I had less SOT than during a weekend but still. And its back up to 100 in a matter of 20 mins. I'll try get some screenshots next time

dcool19d

May 10, 2015
Visit site
The battery life honestly isn't to shabby.
I'm a moderate user, using Instagram/Kik/Facebook/Texting/Searching things up/Youtube and other streaming services
and I managed to unplug my phone at 3:30 PM and I was still able to use it till 2 AM with still 10% battery life left.
Although I do believe the battery life could increase more if they manage to fill this Cell Stand By bug which seems to be eating up my poor little battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-19-02-06-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-19-02-06-14.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 51

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The battery life honestly isn't to shabby.
I'm a moderate user, using Instagram/Kik/Facebook/Texting/Searching things up/Youtube and other streaming services
and I managed to unplug my phone at 3:30 PM and I was still able to use it till 2 AM with still 10% battery life left.
Although I do believe the battery life could increase more if they manage to fill this Cell Stand By bug which seems to be eating up my poor little battery.

Once the cell standby issue is gone you should see close to double that. 17 to 20 hours with moderate use is not out of the question, I usually get 20 to 22 with light to moderate use. It all wildly depends on what apps you use though and I've had some days where Google went into overdrive for some reason and the battery dropped quicker then normal and then everything was ok every day after that.

kyle.brown

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok first what are you guys doing during the day the needs that much screen time on? And i dont come close to that but i have my fitbit running and i play clash of kings along with the facebook app... I normally get around 15 hours or a full day but dang i am to busy with work and my family to get anything close to that for screen time on.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
This will be my last post about it, but like I've mentioned already since I switched to the Xwidget and the widget similar to the original weather widget, I've been getting incredible battery life, very similar to the Xperia Z3 that for me, has the best battery life on any Android device right now.

Before I was getting 5.5 - 6 hours of SoT on weekdays with my Android wear and Bluetooth connected basically all day, and 6.25 - 6.5 hours on weekends, where I just use the Android wear 3 or 4 hours at most. Now for 3 days in a row is been getting, 8.25 on Sunday, about 7 hours yesterday and today 7.5 hours of SoT on average, as you can see in the screen shots below, same settings and usage than the previous 40 days since I got the phone, again, only thing changed has been replacing the weather widget, so what about some of you trying this to see if you have the same results. If you are interested check the threads about the weather widgets.

Screenshot_2015-05-19-21-54-26.png
Screenshot_2015-05-19-21-54-36.png

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Mines going great so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-19-20-06-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-19-20-06-23.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_2015-05-19-20-06-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-19-20-06-38.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 79

thman558

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I rooted my S6 edge, deleted all ATT apps, Facebook, FB messenger, health app, S-voice, and I think some other apps which I don't use and my phone lasts almost 2 days. The only social media I use are IG and Snap chat. Textra is my texting app and SwiftKey is my keyboard. But I don't have any lag at all and battery is superb.

drew4392

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
PhoneArena.com's battery tests showed the S6 and S6 Edge (little higher) both out-performed the iPhone 6 Plus, One M8, etc.

I am coming from the M8, and the S6 battery runs out quicker. Definitely not consistent with phonearena's results, and seems in-line what some are saying here.

Like to phonearena's results:

Samsung Galaxy S6's battery life test score trails that of its predecessor

I will try some of the tips in here, but I was expecting out-of-the-box performance to be similar to what is demonstrated in above test. My M8 lasted longer, which is a bit frustrating :-\

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
My battery life on WiFi was incredible. My battery life on cellular data is a whole other story...

That's weird, I have exactly the opposite experience. I would expect the battery to last longer on Wi-Fi, but mines not. Maybe I'm using it more while on Wi-Fi though.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
That's weird, I have exactly the opposite experience. I would expect the battery to last longer on Wi-Fi, but mines not. Maybe I'm using it more while on Wi-Fi though.

I'm getting to a desperate point. I've now factory reset my phone. Put a black background picture and installed Nova launcher. At this point I'm willing to try anything to improve battery life. Thank goodness I still have my iPhone six plus. The other day on my S6 I had the results I posted earlier. Today it was 9 hours total for four hours of SoT

nsanders

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been reading a lot about how to save my battery life, and it has all been very helpful. Many posters have mentioned that I shouldn't let my battery get "too low" before charging it. How low is "too low"? At what percentage should I be charging my phone? I sit at a desk for most of my work day, so I can charge it whenever I want.

I just read an article that mobile phone batteries work best (last longer) if kept between 80%-40%. Does anyone have any comment about that?

Last edited:

dcool19d

May 10, 2015
Visit site
When I turn my phone on it only estimates that I have ten hours left of charge when it's fully charged at 100% that's weird that your phone has more than that at 50%
It estimates the battery life on the amount of usage you do.
So if your phone is draining 1% every 5 minutes then you're going to get a shorter estimated time as opposed to someone who lightly uses their phone which causes their phone to drain 1% every 10-15 minutes.

I have been reading a lot about how to save my battery life, and it has all been very helpful. Many posters have mentioned that I shouldn't let my battery get "too low" before charging it. How low is "too low"? At what percentage should I be charging my phone? I sit at a desk for most of my work day, so I can charge it whenever I want.

I just read an article that mobile phone batteries work best (last longer) if kept between 80%-40%. Does anyone have any comment about that?

It shouldn't really matter if your phone dies then it dies, but the battery doesn't have to work as hard to charge it up between intervals such as 20% and so fourth. Which technically means your battery should last longer.