Who's switching to the G4?

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I don't have either phone, (I have a Nexus 6) but if I had to choose between S6/G4 right now, it would be G4 all the way. Whoever said the S6 is superior in every way is just a fan boy justifying his purchase just like most people do.

I agree with you about the fan boy but I would still take the s6. If the g4 was smaller I may rethink.

S6 Edge 64GB

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't have either phone, (I have a Nexus 6) but if I had to choose between S6/G4 right now, it would be G4 all the way. Whoever said the S6 is superior in every way is just a fan boy justifying his purchase just like most people do.

Why? I have an s6 and I have a hard time believing there is a better device anywhere. Not a hater by any means but you say g4 all the way so I wanna hear all about this beast.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Why? I have an s6 and I have a hard time believing there is a better device anywhere. Not a hater by any means but you say g4 all the way so I wanna hear all about this beast.
Both devices definitely appeal to different preferences. Just because one side has strong feelings doesn't mean we should resort to labels or my dog is better than your dog.

One side likes the G4 with a nice large display and camera. They need the card slot and ability to swap a larger battery trading off premium materials for plastic back covers with hyper glazed finishes or leather.They realize that they need to buy an accessory for wireless charging. They are fine without rapid charging, fingerprint scanner, dual wireless charging built in, dual mobile payment, and less energy efficient but comparable chipset. They do have 5.1.1 out of the box and firmware updates should improve things a bit.

The central question is the G4 compelling enough to switch. For me and some others, the answer is no. Hopefully, with 5.1.1, those affected by cell standby and battery drain, etc., a great device will be even better. We are also looking forward to Samsung Pay with tap n go and MST. Some of us aren't so much spec conscious, believe it or not, and with more energy efficient hardware and matching optimized firmware, a smaller battery can do the job of a larger one. We don't miss the card slot and swappable battery and appreciate the inclusion of above missing features in the G4. We prefer a smaller device and love how super thin, fast and smooth it is.

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
They could've chosen a better alternative to the leather I agree. I would've preferred the back of the G2 if it had to be plastic or softouch like the Nexus 5.
The leather back is an upgrade. It ships with a typical, plastic back unless you specifically upgrade to the leather.

The 5.5" screen makes the G4 a non-starter, but even if it were 5.1", I'd take the S6 due to built-in wireless charging, real-time HDR, fingerprint scanner, and the 128gb storage option.
I'm not sure I follow the logic on this last point. The G4 has an SDRAM slot. You can upgrade the available capacity of the G4 beyond what the S6 has (and for less money).

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Who's switching to th G4?

True. I find it interesting how some people can have such bad battery life on the S6 and others receive great battery life.
I've always wondered how much this is based on the combination of provider and location. I live in NJ and use VZW. To date, I've been fortunate with all my phones, with regard to how they perform in terms of battery consumption vs. what other using the device get.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
The leather back is an upgrade. It ships with a typical, plastic back unless you specifically upgrade to the leather.

I'm not sure I follow the logic on this last point. The G4 has an SDRAM slot. You can upgrade the available capacity of the G4 beyond what the S6 has (and for less money).

The design of the plastic back is definitely an ugly downgrade from the brushed metal look of the G3:

http://cdn03.androidauthority.net/w...sung-galaxy-s6-edge-quick-look-aa-5-of-14.jpg

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
You can't install apps on the SD card. Also, apps like Quickpic can't delete images directly off the SD card because of file security since KitKat. I had to quit using Quickpic on the S5. With everything internal, I can use any app for any file. The SD card works as dumb storage for photos and music, but it's walled off from many 3rd party apps.

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
You can't install apps on the SD card. Also, apps like Quickpic can't delete images directly off the SD card because of file security since KitKat. I had to quit using Quickpic on the S5. With everything internal, I can use any app for any file. The SD card works as dumb storage for photos and music, but it's walled off from many 3rd party apps.
Fair enough. My storage needs are all driven by music, so the SD card is just fine for me. That said, my new 128GB S6 arrives tonight.

Stuart Adams1

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm not switching have the s6 and the g3 and I'm getting better sot with my s6 then I ever did with the g3. I like what LG have to offer but personally im happy with my s6.

Posted via the Android Central App

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The design of the plastic back is definitely an ugly downgrade from the brushed metal look of the G3:
I suppose. But does anyone really rule out a phone based on the back of the phone? Given the vast majority of people put a case on their phone, I tend to think way too much is made of a phone's physical appearance.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Fair enough. My storage needs are all driven by music, so the SD card is just fine for me. That said, my new 128GB S6 arrives tonight.
Even then, I couldn't copy files directly to the SD card via a wifi copy app like Wifi File Explorer. The only way was a kludge where I would copy music over wifi and then move the file to the SD card with the stock File Explorer.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm just curious about something with regards to the SD card vs the internal memory.

It's called Raw... How many photos in this format will you be able to store on a 32gig phone with everything else..?

This is the one big advantage of a SD card slot... and as good as the s6 camera is is something that they should have kept along with their fast internal memory IMHO

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Considering you need to offload the RAW files to a PC to work with, why would you want to store them on the phone? I've seen this question asked before, and it makes no sense.

I'm not sure how the G4 handles saving files, but on the Samsung phones, all burst mode and UHD video could not be saved directly to the SD card due to memory write speed. I'm pretty sure burst mode can save directly to the SD card on the G4, but not sure about UHD and RAW files.

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Even then, I couldn't copy files directly to the SD card via a wifi copy app like Wifi File Explorer. The only way was a kludge where I would copy music over wifi and then move the file to the SD card with the stock File Explorer.
I've never tried transferring files via WiFi between my PC and my phone. I've just always done it via USB.

deeb215

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I suppose. But does anyone really rule out a phone based on the back of the phone? Given the vast majority of people put a case on their phone, I tend to think way too much is made of a phone's physical appearance.

It wouldn't be a deciding factor in my purchase especially when it's removable.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I only transfer files via wifi. I want to keep using the phone while transferring files, plus I can initiate everything from my phone, so I actually don't even need to be near the PC.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Who's switching to th G4?

True..... But there is no guarantee that 5.1.1 is going to improve the battery life either... It's all speculation on that as well..

Until the carriers quit dicking around with the software and just release Android as it should be, battery life will always be a crap shoot amongst them... for any phone.

Posted via the Android Central App from my HTC m8

Until Google does something, not likely any time soon. Best to hope for is continued UI improvments. This is not Apple where the manufacturer dictates to the carriers.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device