S7 edge Reception issue

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I live in a rather rural area of southern Illinois. My last 3 phones have been the Droid DNA, LG G3 and now the the S7 edge. All 3 have been in the same fluctuating 80 - 85 range at my home.

smitty244

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I have had this phone since it was released and I'm on my second one and have went round and round with Verizon customer care and i.t. and the stores about it. Incoming calls drop after 30-40 seconds and they have had me do everything from turn off advanced calling to a new Sim card to taking it out of global and putting it in 4g. Nothing helps. It has to be that the phone has a terrible antenna I don't know. I have 150dbm and have never had trouble in my area until this phone and it's only incoming calls. This is my second one and they gave me a refurbished which I'm not happy about either. I feel they should let me trade for a different phone since this one is worthless but they say I'd have to pay half the retail of this thing like it's my fault! I guess I might have to switch carriers if they do not play fair. Anyone having such great luck?

smitty244

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I am now on my second one since the phone released due to incoming calls only being dropped 30-40 seconds into the incoming call. This is an ongoing problem also with this phone which is refurbished which I was furious about because I bought a NEW phone a month ago not a used one. I have went round and round with Verizon about this from customer care to technical support to i.t. to the stores. They had me turn advanced calling off on both phones, switch from global to 4g, and replace the sum card and same problem. At this point I want them to let me upgrade to something else since this is an obvious problem that is not my fault and now I'm paying for a phone that can't receive calls. They tell me I'd have to pay half the retail of this phone to do that and that is bs because it's not my problem. Almost time to drop Verizon I guess. Also it's not signal because I have 150dbm when it happens and I'm in the same area I've always been in with no issues until this thing.

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Does it do it at the store? If it does and a store model doesn't then it's defective. You have a warranty and a defective replacement doesn't fulfill their obligation.

I haven't had a chance to test my s7e in a known weak area yet. I know my S3 performed poorly compared to wife's iPhone 4 or my droid x. Forget bars and decibels. The proof is if one can call in a certain spot and the other can't.

Unfortunately none of the nerds who review phones ever tests the phone. They only play with the pocket computer aspect.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've got the S7 edge & S6 edge. Both are just fine with reception. In good areas, full bars, not so good 2-3 bars.

Posted via Android Central App

musplug

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
I had an iphone 4s, a Nokia, an Experia and other phones as well, just purchased the samsung s7 edge and in my house I cannot receive any signal at all where all the others I could text and use the phone, on this one I get nothing, cannot even send a text unless I stand in the middle of the garden, just for a test I took the sim out and put it in two of my old phones and both worked, only 1 bar showing but I could call and also sent a text, put the sim back in the s7 edge and nothing, really pissed off now after spending all that money for something I can't use unless I go outside and stand in the middle of the garden, be great when it's raining or freezing cold :-( what could be a fantastic phone is no more use than a brick sitting on the side.

Karen Fant

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
It doesn't matter how many bars I have, 4g, 3g, let when I get a call it sounds like they are in bubbling water and can't hear me or I can't hear anyone voice muffled. This phone has lots of bells and whistles, but the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO BE ABLE TO MAKE AND RECEIVE CALLS!!! OTHER ISSUE IS I HAVERY TO TRY 2 TO 4 TIMES TO GET A CALL TO GO THROUGH!!! I am paying a lot of money for this Galaxy 7 edge and I expect to be able to do the main function of a phone talk on it!!! Wish I has checked this phone out first!! Will never buy Samsung products again!!! Want my iPhone back!!!

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter how many bars I have, 4g, 3g, let when I get a call it sounds like they are in bubbling water and can't hear me or I can't hear anyone voice muffled. This phone has lots of bells and whistles, but the MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO BE ABLE TO MAKE AND RECEIVE CALLS!!! OTHER ISSUE IS I HAVERY TO TRY 2 TO 4 TIMES TO GET A CALL TO GO THROUGH!!! I am paying a lot of money for this Galaxy 7 edge and I expect to be able to do the main function of a phone talk on it!!! Wish I has checked this phone out first!! Will never buy Samsung products again!!! Want my iPhone back!!!

There should not be a drastic difference between your old iphone & the S7E. There is an issue with your phone. Start by finding out what the dBm signal strength is vs someone else in the same location with a different phone. Or go to your local phone carriers store & compare yours with a display unit. Maybe you can exchange the device out if you just purchased it?

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have no wifi issues, but data issues popped up again. I bought a brand new s7 edge and it wouldnt hold a data connection. So i took it back and got another brand new s7 edge. Same issue. I was just about to return it, when it just started working fine. Now after. 5 months, the problem returned. When i take the phone off my charger in the morning, and at random times during the day, ive got to reboot to get data to connect. Ive been to Verizon and all setups are correct, we tried a new sim card, abd i did a factory reset. Nothing helped. I'll see if it clears in a couple of weeks. It isnt a reception location issue, because I've also got a galaxy s6 edge, and lgv10 and no issues with either. My s7 edge is the snapdragon varient.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi, we're in the same boat. I bought the s7 edge outright, and when I went to replace it, Verizon wanted to give me a rephurb. I told them thst tgey should be replacing it under warranty. Anyway I sokd it to an electronic repair shop, bought another new one, and had the same problem. I've also git an s6 edge, and lg v10. No issues with either. I learned 2 lessons. 1- I'll buy my phones from a thurd party since theres no incentive to buy from Verizon, and 2 - I'm changing my 5 lines 1 at a time asap. I've been a verizon customer since 1992 and thats the thanks I get.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
16 years with full size sims on virgin in S3 mini's and before that old tech. Nokia's. Always got a signal that could be used for text and calls on both phones. Bought one dual sim S7 edge, changed from full size to nano sims - same numbers, same provider - haven't got useable signal at home since or at work either (fairly on the edge of a town/countryside. if it wasn't for the fact that is a gorgeous phone and I use wifi a lot I'd ditch it, but I am missing loads of calls and messages. :-(

cpyles42

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Is it possible this issue is for UNLOCKED S7s?

I purch my S7 from BestBuy UNLOCKED and have terrible reception issues with AT&T.
Signal db is usually 10-20db worse than phone right next to it.

If this were a S7-wide issue, there would be a lot more complaining on the internet about this issue.
Wondering if those having this issue also have unlocked phones and which carrier..

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
In case it is of use to anyone, about 48 hours ago my phone took a big Android update (it had been updated as far as possible prior to that). Since that update, I've had 3-4 bars showing on both SIMS in both of the two areas where I had previously had problems. It seems like the android update has fixed the reception issue strange though that sounds. If anyone has a phone that didn't update around 48 hours ago it might worth checking and doing any updates that are outstanding manually - it might fix your reception issues too.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
cpyles42 - mine is unlocked and purchased from the far east as far as I could tell from the packaging it arrived in. The phone was also a dual sim affair and I had been having trouble with the reception to both sims. As you will see below, an Android update that arrived in the pipeline recently has sorted mine out. NB. Thinking about it, the Android update that did the fixing might have come available last week as I was on a camp site with ropey reception and didn't download it until I got back home to my own wifi system just to be on the safe side of things to do the update. It might be worth trying the update if you have it available yourself. My system now shows Android version 6.0.1; Kernel version 3.18.14-8888212 from 9th August 2016, security patch level date 1st August 2016 (that might all mean more to some of you than to me!!). I cannot believe how much the reception is improved - it's like someone has waved a magic wand.

Rezart Demiraj

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
With 4g enabled in many countries where the 4g signal is weak it shows 1-2 bars. Just switch to 3g only and it will have 5 full bars. This explains why inferior phones with no 4g network show better signal strength.

Peace

JFetch

May 26, 2010
Visit site
My S7 Edge always had great reception, and then it broke and the replacement they sent me can't get more than two bars and my calls cut off. I can't even text pictures most of the time. This is awful.