Got S7 Edge & Changes I Hate

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I am really happy with my new purchase even though i wish it had a 6 inch screen. I came from a Note 4 which i loved. Anyways, certain things i noticed really upset me.

First, it didn't come with a default music, video player, and voice recorder app. I was beyond LIVID. I never use the Samsung store and so glad i went in to browse because i was able to download Samsung's proprietary apps for my music, videos, and voice recording. People who aren't tech savvy won't do this and will assume Samsung tricked consumers and hate the device because they cannot locate the icons when browsing through their apps. Certain consumers will take it at face value that it is either there or it isn't.

Second, you cannot block people anymore. I have one contact who is evil as HELL and the "AUTO REJECT LIST" option is not available in the contacts app anymore. Yes, i know i can remove this person, but i get a certain pleasure knowing i can block instead.

Third, there is no option anymore to change the text message style bubbles. All previous versions had this and now it is not there anymore. One could previously change to different colors and bubble sizes. Very frustrating.

Forth, LIVE WALLPAPERS are gone. I like having different wallpaper options. Ughhh!!!

Fifth, the panels/home screens now have no transition options. There use to be an option where one can pick "3D ROTATION" or "CARD STACK". Also, the home panels now cannot keep going when you swipe to the left. If you have 5 home panels, you can only scroll 5 times and it stops. The same with the app panel page. If you have 3 panels full of apps, it'll only let you scroll 3 times. I like having the option that after scrolling to the end it goes to the 1st page. Instead i need to scroll all the way backwards in order to get to the beginning.

Sixth, flashlight widget is gone. Why? I have no idea.

Seven, the "HIDE APP" feature is gone. I came from a Note 4 and it offered "HIDE APP". That is such a great feature. Sometimes people have nosey friends who wanna browse and riffle through your gallery to see if you have naughty photos and HIDE APP was great to hide the gallery icon so nosey friends can't intrude and now its gone. Why? I have no idea.

I know my review sounds negative, but i do like my device. I just find it odd when they remove features that people love and are functional features. On the plus side, it does seem like it isn't cluttered with bloatware and the battery size has increased. I guess you win some and then lose some. One can never have it all.

lammy8

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah there's a few you've listed I'm not a fan of. Altering bubble size is available through the volume keys and although there's no longer a default torch widget (WHY?!), you can place it in the notification panel as well as on the edge actions on the S7 Edge. Infinite scrolling is available through other launchers though I'm dumbfounded as to why Samsung removed it anyway, same with hiding apps.

Posted via the Android Central App

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
From T-Mobile site https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-25006

To block incoming calls from a number, follow these steps:

Note: To block any incoming call that is not added to the reject list, touch the red Phone icon and drag it to the left. To block the call but provide a message, touch Reject call with message and drag up.

From the Home screen, tap the Phone icon.
Tap MORE.
Tap Settings.
Tap Call blocking.
Tap Blocking list.
To enter the number manually:
Enter the number.
If desired, choose a Match criteria option:
Exactly the same as (default)
Starts with
Ends with
Includes
To search for the number:
Tap the Contacts icon.
Tap Logs or Contacts.
Tap the number to reject or contact to add to the reject list.
To block unknown callers, move the slide under Unknown to ON.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Got S7 Edge & Changes I Hate

You can also hide stuff with private mode, got naughty photos? Instead of hiding them make them private which requires a password to access, so that's even better.

Google music reads local music as well as cloud and streamed, it makes more sense for them to focus on other areas rather than their own software, plus I assume lots of people use third party apps for their players, but I get it.

Block has been addressed above.

Text size has been addressed, if you want more control I suggested Textra.

Wallpapers are easy enough to change, live wallpapers not sure why they are gone but I assume not many use them as they potentially drain battery.

Panels and rotation has been like for a while now, last I recall is the S5, plenty of launchers if you must have.

Flashlight is now in notification shade which is still accessible even when locked.

I know it forces you to make adjustments but progression is inevitable ;)

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
This works, but download TrueCaller, it's a free app, it allows you to block users both calls and text. It also can block all unknown numbers and has a list of spam callers and can block them.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I am really happy with my new purchase even though i wish it had a 6 inch screen. I came from a Note 4 which i loved. Anyways, certain things i noticed really upset me.

First, it didn't come with a default music, video player, and voice recorder app. I was beyond LIVID. I never use the Samsung store and so glad i went in to browse because i was able to download Samsung's proprietary apps for my music, videos, and voice recording. People who aren't tech savvy won't do this and will assume Samsung tricked consumers and hate the device because they cannot locate the icons when browsing through their apps. Certain consumers will take it at face value that it is either there or it isn't.

Second, you cannot block people anymore. I have one contact who is evil as HELL and the "AUTO REJECT LIST" option is not available in the contacts app anymore. Yes, i know i can remove this person, but i get a certain pleasure knowing i can block instead.

Third, there is no option anymore to change the text message style bubbles. All previous versions had this and now it is not there anymore. One could previously change to different colors and bubble sizes. Very frustrating.

Forth, LIVE WALLPAPERS are gone. I like having different wallpaper options. Ughhh!!!

Fifth, the panels/home screens now have no transition options. There use to be an option where one can pick "3D ROTATION" or "CARD STACK". Also, the home panels now cannot keep going when you swipe to the left. If you have 5 home panels, you can only scroll 5 times and it stops. The same with the app panel page. If you have 3 panels full of apps, it'll only let you scroll 3 times. I like having the option that after scrolling to the end it goes to the 1st page. Instead i need to scroll all the way backwards in order to get to the beginning.

Sixth, flashlight widget is gone. Why? I have no idea.

Seven, the "HIDE APP" feature is gone. I came from a Note 4 and it offered "HIDE APP". That is such a great feature. Sometimes people have nosey friends who wanna browse and riffle through your gallery to see if you have naughty photos and HIDE APP was great to hide the gallery icon so nosey friends can't intrude and now its gone. Why? I have no idea.

I know my review sounds negative, but i do like my device. I just find it odd when they remove features that people love and are functional features. On the plus side, it does seem like it isn't cluttered with bloatware and the battery size has increased. I guess you win some and then lose some. One can never have it all.

Just save them as a contact and then block them.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Thank to everyone who responded. I have made those changes thanks to everyone informing me of where those features are now located.

I am a Samsung Android fan and I just don't understand why Android makes these ridiculous changes when it doesn't benefit anyone. I understand to stay relevant or appear like they are constantly innovating, a software update is made. But no point in doing ridiculous software or OS updates for the sake of just doing it to show consumers changes were made or that they have something new.

For instance, on the S7 Edge, the browser for opening multiple windows is now on the bottom, it was on the top prior to that, and on the bottom before that. What is the point of constantly moving it up and down? So with Android 6.0, it is down, 5.0 is up, and 4.0 is down. Is that logical? Like i said, it appears they make changes just to show consumers that changes were made.

Another silly change is when you log into a website (i.e. amazon.com) that requires a password, a pop up comes up after signing in that says "remember password, Not Now, Never". The order of these 3 keep changing. Is that necessary? Doesn't make sense why each OS update shuffles the order of these 3 options.

When Android first game out on the HTC G1, there was a new OS update every year from 1.0 to 2.0 to 3.0 and now they have stalled and there are no new OS's every year. Don't fix something that isn't broke. I am going to the Note 6 when it gets released in the fall and praying to GOD it had a 6 inch screen. The Note line is in dire need of a screen size upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa