Is there an App that will let you determine when to Update Installed Apps?

freeop

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I know that google play store updates when ever new updates are available, but is there an app that will let you select when to update? I tried Smart App Manager, but that didn't really do anything but check for updates.

And I have looked at the settings and there is a setting to select "No Updates", but don't want to do that. I just want to select certain apps to update or not update.

Thanks

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Go into the Play Store, swipe in from the left, select Settings. Very first setting is auto-update apps, set that to the option to not auto-update apps and all you'll get is a prompt that tells you there are app updates. You can then pick and choose which ones to update.

Your other option is to leave auto-update on and then turn off auto update on an app-by-app basis (it can be done but would become VERY tedious). You can't have auto-update off then select to auto-update apps on an app-by-app basis.

illlya

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Open up the Play Store and go to the app in question. Hit the three dots in the upper right corner. Hit auto update.

Last edited:

freeop

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Thank you both for the tips. I never knew those settings were available. Really new to Android as just got rid of my Windows Phone a couple of months ago. Did not have to worry about updates on the apps on the Windows Phone as there weren't any. :)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Open up the Play Store and go to the app in question. Hit the three dots in the upper right corner. Hit auto update.

As I noted in my post before yours, the global auto-update needs to be ON for the individual apps to be selected to auto-update, and in that case the default setting will be TO auto-update and you'd have to go into that setting for each one you DON'T want to automatically update and disable it.

If auto-update is off and you try to turn it on for an app, it prompts you to enable it globally.

freeop

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Yes I saw that when I tried that way of doing things. I turned off the Global Auto-Update and then went back to disable individual apps and just like you said in your second post, it prompted me to enable the global Auto-Update. I did not change the settings and will just wait for a prompt to update each app.

Thanks again.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I like to have auto-update OFF so that I can read about the changes to see if there's some new feature(s) that may not be readily apparent, prior to my agreeing to update apps(s).