07-18-2018 02:00 AM
68 123
tools
    I've had my phone for about a week now (normal s7) and had this happen this morning. Power button wouldn't turn on screen/do anything and volume down wouldn't do anything. Had to use the home button to get the screen to respond. After holding down the power button and volume down I was able to reset the phone and the issue is no longer present. Should I just assume this was some kind of software hiccup or should I go the route of trying to get it replaced for being defective? I've seen a few posts on reddit and some other forums, seems like an issue that is starting to pop up for quite a few people. Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys.
    Bobbie222 likes this.
    03-09-2016 11:52 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I'd guess that it's a software issue--either some 3rd party app that's causing the problem, or some glitch in the firmware. You could try booting into Safe Mode, but if this doesn't happen often, it can be tedious to try to narrow it down.
    03-09-2016 05:31 PM
    Hi B Diddy, thank you for that, glad to be here. I might hold onto it and see if I can recreate the issue before I warranty it as defective. However, you mentioned it can be tedious to track down issues like this and it has only happened once in the past week. Would you just warranty the thing and get a new one in my situation or brush it off as app related for now? I believe its $5 to get them to send a brand new one out to me, currently. Thanks again for the reply!
    03-09-2016 05:54 PM
    If it's less than 2 weeks old, bring it back to the store and ask for a replacement--they shouldn't charge you for that. I'd take advantage of the return window while you can--if the problem gets worse in the future, then you'll have to go through Samsung's warranty process, which will take longer and be more of a hassle. Even if it's been more than 2 weeks, ask the store if they'll still replace it.
    03-09-2016 06:15 PM
    Unfortunately, after a call to the store I pre-ordered at, they told me the only way to get it replaced is to call T-Mobile. Hopefully it isn't too much of a hassle. Thanks for the info.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    03-09-2016 06:42 PM
    Mine started the same exact thing last night. 4 days out of the box, power button and volume down stopped working. Will be replacing, not trying to patch up with a "fix" this early on. Also, all the apps on the new phone are the same apps from my HTC one that I used for 2.5 years without problems. Hopefully it's not going to be a known issue.
    03-11-2016 09:34 AM
    This just happened to me too with the phone sitting on my desk. Not a good second day.
    03-11-2016 09:41 AM
    Bought GS7 edge at 5:00 pm. Buttons stopped working at 7:00 pm. Beyond disappointed right now. Don't know if I need to bring it in for a new one or if I can fix it on my own?
    03-11-2016 07:40 PM
    Hmm, this is a little concerning. I'd bring it back to the store to get a replacement. If it's too late to do that, contact Samsung directly for warranty repair or replacement.

Hopefully this doesn't become even more common.
    ssushan5san likes this.
    03-12-2016 12:58 AM
    Well mine just decided to turn itself off after that annoying SD mounting popped up and I tried to clear it. It wouldn't power back on at first. After 20 seconds it finally powered back on but the screen was dim.
    ssushan5san likes this.
    03-12-2016 03:00 PM
    It seems to me to be a software issue as I factory reset the phone and the problem cleared up. However, it just happened to me again after a day of not installing anything new and it is definitely frustrating. Maybe we can all compare apps to see if we can narrow down the culprit.

Things I've used today:
    Camera
    Truedialer
    Nova
    Samsung Pay
    Textra
    Clash Royale (Last thing i was doing before the malfuciton.)

Power Button and Volume down button both stopped working, anyone else experience this?-screenshot_20160312-192942.jpgPower Button and Volume down button both stopped working, anyone else experience this?-screenshot_20160312-192946.jpgPower Button and Volume down button both stopped working, anyone else experience this?-screenshot_20160312-192938.jpg
    03-12-2016 07:34 PM
    This happen to my sisters s7. Hopefully this wont be another "gate" problem.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-12-2016 08:38 PM
    It is 100% software. If it weren't, holding down the two buttons that supposedly aren't working wouldn't fix it.

03-12-2016 08:40 PM
    I just bought my s7 yesterday. Everything was fine last night, I spent 2 hours transferring all my data and setting up new apps. This morning while making a call, I tried to use the volume down button and nothing happened, then power button and same thing. I rebooted after reading here and now it's working again.

I hope it doesn't come back... I was really getting excited about this phone. And I really hope it doesn't make me regret choosing this over the Droid Turbo2 which I was talked out of by the verizon sales guy.

Hope someone finds out if its an app causing it or what.....

Cheers!

Tony
    03-13-2016 08:32 AM
    I just bought my s7 yesterday. Everything was fine last night, I spent 2 hours transferring all my data and setting up new apps. This morning while making a call, I tried to use the volume down button and nothing happened, then power button and same thing. I rebooted after reading here and now it's working again.

I hope it doesn't come back... I was really getting excited about this phone. And I really hope it doesn't make me regret choosing this over the Droid Turbo2 which I was talked out of by the verizon sales guy.

Hope someone finds out if its an app causing it or what.....

Cheers!

Tony
    Yea it is frustrating. But mine has only done it once and that's it. Like I said, it's truly impossible that it's some hardware defect because the two buttons that are supposedly broken are the two buttons you use the fix the device.

03-13-2016 09:07 AM
    my s7 just experienced the power/volume down button this morning. I held down the powe/volume down and was able to boot to safe mode and buttons worked fine. then rebooted normally and all is fine. definitely appears to be a software bug and not hardware related.
    03-13-2016 10:49 AM
    Same issue. Got a brand new phone and the power button is not working
    03-13-2016 12:13 PM
    Same issue. Got a brand new phone and the power button is not working
    Are you able to reboot into safe mode?
    03-13-2016 03:57 PM
    Same issue for me. I got the phone last wednesday and all was good until today. Held power and volume down buttons, did a restart and is good to go for now but we will see if this is an issue that revisits....hopefully not.
    03-14-2016 10:12 AM
    Same issue as well. Power + volume down button for restart "fixed" the issue. Anyone have any ideas/details as to the actual cause of the software issue?
    03-14-2016 12:17 PM
    Its nova..something similar happened to mine.
    03-15-2016 12:14 AM
    It may be root issues.
    03-15-2016 12:15 AM
    Hi everyone,

I just experienced the same problem with my S7 as well (in fact, I found this thread by googling "Samsung S7 power button not working"). Holding down the power button and volume down button restarted the phone and after restarting, the phone was fine. Strangely enough, the phone was working perfectly for me a few hours ago and when I picked the phone up to turn it off (I turn it off at night), that's when I noticed the power button was no longer working. I haven't installed any new apps over the last few days so it seems to be something in root? Since it seems to be a software issue that's resolved by restarting for all of us, is it worth it to ask Verizon for a replacement?
    03-15-2016 12:35 AM
    I had this exact same problem and after reading everyone's post I rebooted my phone. This helped. Thanks! I am wondering however, could this have been caused by the fingerprint lock screen? That is the only thing I recently started using before all of this
    03-15-2016 06:21 AM
    Dan,
    I started using the fingerprint security just yesterday too. I also noticed the phone installed Samsung Pay by itself yesterday as well.

I had the same thing happen to me today as well. I was calling my wife's phone and got her voicemail. She didn't answer so i tried to hang up and the application appeared that it did hang up, but I still heard her voicemail message playing as if I didn't hang up. Weird I thought so I tried to turn the screen off and no go.

Thank goodness for Google, found this forum and the power button plus volume down did the trick to reboot the phone. I'm going to leave it as it and see if it happens again. If it does I'm going to disable the fingerprint security and then try again.
    03-15-2016 07:43 AM
68 123