Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread

AvaABC123

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
Gotta say, I like the "App Power Monitor" (Settings--> Battery). I hope it is really doing what it says it is - and that it is actually shutting those apps down.

I remember in previous Android phones - trying different apps and settings that would shut down apps that would stay running in the background and no sooner had I closed the app/setting, I'd go back in and everything would once again be listed! At least now, when I shut down the apps that I don't want using battery when not in use, they don't keep reappearing in the list. Only time so far when I've had to readjust the list is when I've downloaded (new to this phone)apps - they are added to this screen, so I just go in and select them and click on "save power".

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I mean my old transistor radio also has a battery that lasts longer, but that doesn't mean I prefer it over the S8.
That was almost funny...but I didn't laugh at the end.
I made it through a 12 hour shift with normal use and bad signal without charging.

Those comparing to the iPhone, sure it has better standby time. BUT, if you have to charge, it's going to be on that charger for at least twice as long to get the same level of juice as the galaxy.

And then you're still dealing with a smaller battery.

Standby could be a lot better, but it has improved from previous galaxy phones.

I know bc I have to charge my iPhone at least once a night.
False. If you are charging with an iPad charger, the total time to charge is very close. I am not sure about top-up charge, but seeing as the total charge time is about the same that means that top-up charge can't be that far either. Source? The fact that I use and have been using both Galaxy series and iPhone for the last few generations. Even right now I use both. There is no way the S8+ device comes even close to the iPhone regarding battery life, no way at all. Note that I am comparing plus to plus, not standard to regular iPhone. The regular iPhone is junk for battery life, regardless of good standby.

the_munc_e

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site

False. If you are charging with an iPad charger, the total time to charge is very close. I am not sure about top-up charge, but seeing as the total charge time is about the same that means that top-up charge can't be that far either. Source? The fact that I use and have been using both Galaxy series and iPhone for the last few generations. Even right now I use both. There is no way the S8+ device comes even close to the iPhone regarding battery life, no way at all. Note that I am comparing plus to plus, not standard to regular iPhone. The regular iPhone is junk for battery life, regardless of good standby.
That's crap. Sorry.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It's hard for me to really see whether I have good or bad battery life because I work over night and mostly during the day I'm sleeping.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Would appreciate a little more context with the data. The data is great though because context is subjective. Here is a context piece that perhaps users can answer. And can you please make clear if you are rocking the PLUS or just the S8.

I will turn my phone on at 7 AM. I want it to last until 10 or 11 PM. Normal use for me is a 6-10 phone calls some longer most are pretty short. An hour or maybe 2 of internet...I like to read the News, I like to check on my sports teams, etc. Maybe a little video...but usually none, I prefer to read (I am old!). I dont play games that much, and a good bit of texting throughout the day. I am assuming I am a moderate to light user....how will the S8 hold up?
If you can deal with the size of the plus I would go that route. With your useage I don't see you having any issues with the s8+. As far as the regular s8 I don't know I have no experience with, but judging from some of the people on here it looks to get a good amount less sot than the plus.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I read there's a bug that can keep the battery stats from resetting between charges. This probably accounts for the folks posting 8-10 hours of SOT. Or, they're leaving the phone on with a black static background and letting the battery drain very slowly..
My sot times are from one charge and it's normal use. I'm not gaming or streaming movies all day. Browsing forums and internet with the occasional video. I was on wifi all day when I got this.
5dc67dc13679167721f736e497520708.jpg

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10685/the-iphone-7-and-iphone-7-plus-review/5

Looks like you're the only one with the amazing battery results on the iPhone 7 plus. It doesn't beat the s7 edge in any category and the 8+ is better than the 7 edge. It may get better standby time, but it doesn't charge faster and I don't see it getting more sot.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I cannot complain at all... I notice that different themes affect battery life... Get the themes are are a smaller size download and those won't affect ur batter as much as those that are a larger size... Idk if it's just me but it's something I've noticed
629193463339832aaa53b3f2905815e0.jpg

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Great results Joe. I'm jealous.
I have the iPhone 7 plus and I have to agree with @durandetto, it does have great battery life. However, in my experience it takes a lot longer to charge when compared to the S7 edge which has a bigger battery than the S8+. In regards to the S8's battery life, I couldn't be more pleased.

jordandj24

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I found my phone's Achilles heal. Streaming music through Bluetooth. It's not so bad when I play the music saved to my phone but I've been streaming today and it's destroying my battery.

I've been wondering what's draining my battery and that must be it. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens.

I haven't been getting great time with the screen on. I have location on, FHD, notifications, automatic brightness set.

Screenshot_20170425-214413.jpgScreenshot_20170425-214429.jpg

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I found another reason for my poor battery life today. Amazon prime photos was backing up my pictures all day. Hoping to get back to normal tomorrow.

Mike1117

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
This is a fairly typical day for me. 5+ hours of screen time and the phone makes it through a 16 hour day of heavy use with 15-20% to spare.

Attachments

• 8350.jpg
    8350.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 107

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm impressed. My V10 would barely get 4 hours of screen on time. An hour of this was watching 1440p videos on YouTube with the brightness up pretty high, with lower brightness I'd get even longer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170426-003039.jpg
    Screenshot_20170426-003039.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20170426-003106.jpg
    Screenshot_20170426-003106.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 48

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa