Samsung isn't honoring its Galaxy S8 $200 trade-in discounts. Major PR blow to come.

itsfighter

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
Any updates from Samsung on the escalation? I traded in the Nexus 6 I was using and got an email yesterday that the trade in isnt accepted due to not meeting Samsung's criteria of "Normal wear and tear". The phone was in good condition and I did ensure to bubble wrap it so that it wouldnt get damaged in transit. I too had contacted customer support and they said that it has been escalated.

I sent my Iphone 4 in excellent condition which was kept in case the whole time and screen protector. I removed the screen protector before packaging and wiped everything clean and packed in the original iphone 4 box and dropped it at fedex. Today I received an email saying your trade in will be charged for Tear and wear. I was so frustrated to see the reason "Tear and Wear" which I know is a 100% lie. I called customer service and as soon as I explained the problem the person I spoke to behaved like she was very familiar with the issue and placed me on hold for few minutes and came back with a escalation number and call them back after 5 business days.
I used barclays card for purchase and I am not sure whether I can dispute just the $175 I saw in previous posts that they can blacklist the phone in that case can I dispute the initial charge or can we return the phone , will they refund the full amount including this $175?
Luckily I didnt send my Galaxy s5 which was still working in good condition. Any thoughts?

Thanks

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I sent my Iphone 4 in excellent condition which was kept in case the whole time and screen protector. I removed the screen protector before packaging and wiped everything clean and packed in the original iphone 4 box and dropped it at fedex. Today I received an email saying your trade in will be charged for Tear and wear. I was so frustrated to see the reason "Tear and Wear" which I know is a 100% lie. I called customer service and as soon as I explained the problem the person I spoke to behaved like she was very familiar with the issue and placed me on hold for few minutes and came back with a escalation number and call them back after 5 business days.
I used barclays card for purchase and I am not sure whether I can dispute just the $175 I saw in previous posts that they can blacklist the phone in that case can I dispute the initial charge or can we return the phone , will they refund the full amount including this $175?
Luckily I didnt send my Galaxy s5 which was still working in good condition. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I would not dispute just the $175. They could easily win that dispute since you agreed to the original charges.

Now obviously you don't agree with the assessment but that's not grounds for disputing that charge.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Couple of things.

First, you need to opt out of arbitration so you can join a class action lawsuit, if so desired. This needs to be done within 30 days of purchase.

Second, most definitely try to go through Samsung customer service to see if it can be resolved, but if it takes a bit long, I would start filing complaints with the bbb and state ag.

3flats

Jul 14, 2017
Visit site
Successfully traded in my Verizon LG G4 for the $250 off S8+. This was my 2nd replacement G4 (3rd in total counting the original) in 22 months do to the bootloop. Super satisfied

hybrisate

May 8, 2012
Visit site
This is so shady on their part. Cheap prepaids being accepted for some, nicer and mint phones being denied for others. I believe it is luck of the draw depending on which employee evaluates the device. I was going to send in a $20 prepaid phone, but got too nervous after these reports. Considered sending in my current daily driver, Moto G4 which is in great condition, but glad I did not based on the bad luck others have had.

As much as I like the hardware on these new Samsungs, I think I will stay away from them from now on. I know this promo had bad news written all over it, but it's not fair for those who are sending in expensive/good condition phones and getting denied. Pixel 2 watch begins!

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I sent my excellent lg smart phone ( Paid $250 a few months ago ) and *F samsung decide FINAL TRADED IN VALUE: $25.00.
I am going to send back for a full refund. Never trust samsung and Never buy samsung again!!!
Just curious, how many times will you be posting this same comment?

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
it took exactly three weeks, but I just received confirmation of my trade in.

We’re happy to inform you that your Trade-In was successful and your device met all of our product eligibility criteria. We hope you’re enjoying your new Galaxy S8+ 64GB (Unlocked). Thank you for participating in the Samsung Trade-In Program. No further action is needed at this point.

dah4949

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
If these situations are true and not some samsung bashers just talking trash, I wonder what the percentages are. I sent in a sprint S 3 that I had tried to sell on Craigslist years ago and actually tried to give away and failed since sprint sucks so bad in our area. I I really don't know how they stay in business here. I anyway factory reset it after I charged it up and got my acceptance email this morning. 525 pluses tax for a S8+. Coming from a moto x pure edition its a nice upgrade. I do miss moto actions and moto display but other than that it's been great

Jonathan Ro

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
I don't think this was too good to be true, not when there are BOGO deals and carriers offering similar deals (or better) to this.

This was my first experience with Samsung after being with Apple for many, many years. I loved the phone but do not love the Samsung customer service experience. The reps seem nice enough, but it really seems that they have little power to change anything about the situation. When I asked one of the reps if they have received a lot of these calls, he admitted that the issue is happening a lot and that they are waiting a response from their upper management. I still think I am going to return my S8+ while I still can although I like the Android experience more than what I had in Apple. I just found it silly that Samsung was willing to have a BOGO promotion but will attempt to milk $175 more from other customers.

The phone I submitted was in excellent condition, had been in a case all its life, and met all the conditions for the trade in. Even worse, I had three reps give me three different stories. Rep 1: "Hmm..I don't see where your trade was rejected. Maybe you should wait and see if you get another email saying it was accepted." Rep 2: (brusquely) "No, if you had read the fine print, it said that your phone must be valued over $25". Rep 3: "Nothing I can do for you, but we are waiting for a response from upper management."

None of the reps could tell me why it was rejected. And even more icing on the cake, why does it take "3-5 days" to get a return label?

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't think this was too good to be true, not when there are BOGO deals and carriers offering similar deals (or better) to this.

None of the reps could tell me why it was rejected. And even more icing on the cake, why does it take "3-5 days" to get a return label?

Samsung direct is very frustrating to deal with. Although my trade was accepted and I think the phone is great I'm having other issues trying to get a RMA/return label for a Chromebook they sent me after I had cancelled and they had acknowledged the cancellation. They gave me the same 3-5 business day speech and I've been waiting since June 19th.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I returned all three of my S8's due to this nightmarish scenario. Two were unopened. I have received one refund. The other two are in limbo, despite their having received the phones a week ago. Service tried to help but they couldn't really do anything.

itsfighter

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
I returned all three of my S8's due to this nightmarish scenario. Two were unopened. I have received one refund. The other two are in limbo, despite their having received the phones a week ago. Service tried to help but they couldn't really do anything.

I just called samsung direct customer service to find out how long it will take to get a response for my escalation and she asked me to call on Tuesday and they will probably have a status update. My escalation number was generated on Friday. I asked about the return and she said it has to be returned withing 14 days for receiving. Mine is well passed the 14 days mark. I am not sure what to do. Should I call my credit card (Barclays) company and see whether I can dispute the $175 or the Whole $175 + $560 in case if I dont receive a positive response?

hybrisate

May 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm in a similar situation. I unfortunately ordered mine with a T-Mobile SIM card, which was shipped separately and a week before the phone was shipped. I rejected shipment on the phone and called Samsung to ask about the SIM card; the rep told me it was a free item so I didn't need to worry about returning it.

A week after the rejected shipment got back to Samsung, I called and was informed my refund hadn't been processed because I did not send them SIM back. I opened a return order for the phone by accident (after rejecting shipment,) so now I have an RMA for the phone & SIM. The SIM is on route with FedEx, but I am worried Samsung will botch my refund because there is an open RMA order on it, but they already have the device from the rejected shipment. Shouldn't have ordered the SIM and they better refund me when they get it.

coolguy27

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone returned their phone? I just read their return policy. Items have to be unopened! Damn I'M screwed. Was planning to send mines back if my escalation don't come thru.

I guess if I can't return it because I've been using it, my only other option is to dispute the $175 charge with my discover card.

"Returns

Samsung Direct will accept, for return or exchange, defective or unopened merchandise purchased at Samsung.com/US, subject to the exceptions and timeframe for returns listed below: All merchandise returned to Samsung Direct must be in the original packaging with all original items (such as manuals, remotes, cables, etc.) accompanying the merchandise and a copy of the invoice/packing slip included to be eligible for return or exchange. Shipping and handling fees from your original order will not be refunded, unless the merchandise is determined by Samsung Direct, in its sole discretion, to be defective."

Last edited:

Jona005

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone returned their phone? I just read their return policy. Items have to be unopened! Damn I'M screwed. Was planning to send mines back if my escalation don't come thru.

I guess if I can't return it because I've been using it, my only other option is to dispute the $175 charge with my discover card.

"Returns

Samsung Direct will accept, for return or exchange, defective or unopened merchandise purchased at Samsung.com/US, subject to the exceptions and timeframe for returns listed below: All merchandise returned to Samsung Direct must be in the original packaging with all original items (such as manuals, remotes, cables, etc.) accompanying the merchandise and a copy of the invoice/packing slip included to be eligible for return or exchange. Shipping and handling fees from your original order will not be refunded, unless the merchandise is determined by Samsung Direct, in its sole discretion, to be defective."

To me, this is open to interpretation (as usual with samsung or most large companies). The part that says "subject to the exceptions and timeframe for returns listed below" seems to imply that items within the 14 day return period would still apply. It then mentions how items must be in the original packaging with all original items, etc. I could be wrong, but I don't think they will only accept unopened returns.

coolguy27

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
To me, this is open to interpretation (as usual with samsung or most large companies). The part that says "subject to the exceptions and timeframe for returns listed below" seems to imply that items within the 14 day return period would still apply. It then mentions how items must be in the original packaging with all original items, etc. I could be wrong, but I don't think they will only accept unopened returns.

Yeah, I spoke to them via chat. They told me I could return it even if it's opened. I have it in writing just in case.