Love Samsung Keyboard but prefer Google Voice

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
This is very frustrating because I really like the new Samsung keyboard but the Samsung voice is definitely not as good at detecting talking to text as google is in terms of accuracy but the G board is a lot smaller and not as easy for me I wish we could use Samsung keyboard with Google Voice but I can't seem to do that in settings

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
This is very frustrating because I really like the new Samsung keyboard but the Samsung voice is definitely not as good at detecting talking to text as google is in terms of accuracy but the G board is a lot smaller and not as easy for me I wish we could use Samsung keyboard with Google Voice but I can't seem to do that in settings

You're in luck, you can indeed use Google Voice in the Samsung keyboard.

Go to settings>general management>language and input>on-screen keyboard>manage keyboards. Then toggle off Samsung voice input. Viola, you now have google voice to text in the Samsung keyboard.

DLIVINGS

Jul 7, 2017
Visit site

Go to settings>general management>language and input>on-screen keyboard>manage keyboards. Then toggle off Samsung voice input. Viola, you now have google voice to text in the Samsung keyboard.

Thanks for that post. I never liked Samsung voice much either. I switched to Google (following your path ) and found it does a much better job.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

Cool thanks! You think this method affects Bixby?

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I also prefer Gboard as I like to annoy family members with the obnoxious GIF's of which it proudly supports. otherwise I'd likely use the Samsung keyboard.

It's little things for me, such as the color of the Samsung Message app icon and the reply bar for quick reply. I hate the color so I use the Google/Android MMS app. lol

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I also prefer Gboard as I like to annoy family members with the obnoxious GIF's of which it proudly supports. otherwise I'd likely use the Samsung keyboard.

It's little things for me, such as the color of the Samsung Message app icon and the reply bar for quick reply. I hate the color so I use the Google/Android MMS app. lol

What messaging app are you using that allows you to use GBoard GIFs? I prefer the stock messaging app and GBoard GIF's are not supported. I use Swiftkey and they now have a GIF feature that is compatible with any messaging app. For now, it only shows categories (you can't search like on facebook) but it works pretty well for now.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
What messaging app are you using that allows you to use GBoard GIFs? I prefer the stock messaging app and GBoard GIF's are not supported. I use Swiftkey and they now have a GIF feature that is compatible with any messaging app. For now, it only shows categories (you can't search like on facebook) but it works pretty well for now.
I'm using stock right now and it's not working. I figured I'd try it again to make sure before I said yes. I usually use Android message.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

Well unfortunately it worked except Bixby seems to be overriding the setting and automatically turning Samsung voice back on

deadbeatles

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Matter of opinion. I enjoy the Samsung Keyboard. I like that it save email addresses Ive used so I dont have to keep typing them.

Ok, they all do that. But what Samsung Keyboard also does is aggressively autocorrects everyday words, abbreviations, and shorthand and won't let you change it without turning off autocorrect. It doesn't let you update the dictionary. It's an extreme PITA compared to older Samsung keyboards and other current keyboards.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Ok, they all do that. But what Samsung Keyboard also does is aggressively autocorrects everyday words, abbreviations, and shorthand and won't let you change it without turning off autocorrect. It doesn't let you update the dictionary. It's an extreme PITA compared to older Samsung keyboards and other current keyboards.
Not having any issue updating the dictionary or aggressive autocorrect. I can also change any word at the touch of a button. Gboard has never stored my email address.

If it's ok with you, I'd like to keep using the keyboard I prefer. You're free to use whatever works for you.