So, is the stereo music quality good, or not?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The point is the speakers are not equal in any stretch. I spent years in the Marines with very loud weapons and no ear protection most of the time (hearing not 100%). I'm not an audiophile either- I listen to MP3s. 192kb at that.

BTW, rockets/missles don't go "woosh!" like in the movies. They go boom when fired and kaboom when detonating.

That's fine .. I still disagree with someone being hearing impaired simply because they didn't agree with your assessment.

Not sure what the rockets line is about but .. kay.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have seen a video on YouTube showing proof that the quad DAC in the V30 is triggered by headphones with an impedance of 50+ ohms.

This is not quite right. On the on the LG V series, the DAC is active whenever you plug-in headphones into the 3.5 jack. However, there is also a high gain output circuit that is triggered when you plug-in a load greater 50 ohms so the phone can drive headphones with greater impedance.

callihan_44

May 2, 2014
Visit site
played some music on the s9+ at best buy today, better than the s8 which was near the s9 ...considering the store was loud I could hear some stereo separation . Don't expect bose quality sound, its an improvement though

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That's fine .. I still disagree with someone being hearing impaired simply because they didn't agree with your assessment.

Not sure what the rockets line is about but .. kay.

If it were just a rube like me saying it- agreed. In this case, MK is a professional for reviews and made the comparative comment. Compare the devices and then please see if you agree. Not a case of subjective sonic nit-picking. The S8/8+ sound spectrum is almost all mid-range and muddy and the S9/9+ covers the low end decently (for a phone) and the mids and highs are distinct with music. The S9+ fairs a tad better than the S9.

This is the first time I recall disagreeing with MK, but seems to stand out. Perhaps because I normally do agree with him. That all said, the good speakers, 30% (ish) faster chip and better camera are not enough for me to jump. Want 128GB like the UK and an RGB pixel array for better Gear VR.

Really liking the speaker and camera set-up though..... If the US got the 128GB option, must admit I would probably jump. Best Buy has had them a few days now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If it were just a rube like me saying it- agreed. In this case, MK is a professional for reviews and made the comparative comment. Compare the devices and then please see if you agree. Not a case of subjective sonic nit-picking. The S8/8+ sound spectrum is almost all mid-range and muddy and the S9/9+ covers the low end decently (for a phone) and the mids and highs are distinct with music. The S9+ fairs a tad better than the S9.

This is the first time I recall disagreeing with MK, but seems to stand out. Perhaps because I normally do agree with him. That all said, the good speakers, 30% (ish) faster chip and better camera are not enough for me to jump. Want 128GB like the UK and an RGB pixel array for better Gear VR.

Really liking the speaker and camera set-up though..... If the US got the 128GB option, must admit I would probably jump. Best Buy has had them a few days now.

Professional reviewer doesn't mean he has to agree with your opinions. Hence why there are multiple reviewers instead of 1. Still disagree with him being "hearing impaired" simply because he doesn't agree with you. Big difference in thinking someone is wrong and then saying they have a disability.. simply because they don't share your opinion lol.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Professional reviewer doesn't mean he has to agree with your opinions. Hence why there are multiple reviewers instead of 1. Still disagree with him being "hearing impaired" simply because he doesn't agree with you. Big difference in thinking someone is wrong and then saying they have a disability.. simply because they don't share your opinion lol.
I don't think he's saying he's hearing impaired simply because he doesn't agree with him. He's saying he's hearing impaired because he can't detect a quite obvious difference in sound performance between the S8 and S9. I didn't test them, so I don't know. Just clarifying. Now if the vast majority of people can hear a distinct and noticeable difference between the two, and the reviewer can not, it could very well mean that his hearing is impaired. :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think he's saying he's hearing impaired simply because he doesn't agree with him. He's saying he's hearing impaired because he can't detect a quite obvious difference in sound performance between the S8 and S9. I didn't test them, so I don't know. Just clarifying. Now if the vast majority of people can hear a distinct and noticeable difference between the two, and the reviewer can not, it could very well mean that his hearing is impaired. :)

It "could" sure .. But I prefer to talk about actual things versus just assuming stuff about people :). I have learned from sound comparisons it will definitely vary from person to person. He is saying he is hearing impaired based on what he thinks... As in he doesn't agree w/ rush so therefore he is hearing impaired.

Also MKBHD didn't say "Omg these speakers are the worst" or anything. He literally said "The speaker got a slight improvement, but it is in the same placement at the bottom of the phone. They added stereo listening with this earpiece one at the top of the phone... and from listening to it it is a bit louder but not significantly better in quality or anything".

So he didn't say it was worse.. he just said it isn't "significantly" better. Also to be fair this is a "first look" type of thing. The full review he usually dives more.

Reviewers can be wrong. I disagree with them all the time from reviewer to reviewer... I am just not going to instantly call someone hearing impaired simply because I disagree on one point out of the whole video.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
This. At store now testing more. Looks like FM radio function was nixed, or blocked on current demo. Worked for 8+ demo last year and of course does now on the 8+.

Added: Case in point. This is another reviewer I trust- He normally dogs Samsung phones for one reason or another. Hint: It's the speakers that makes him like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPNgL1Ss7fU

Last edited:

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I have only been able to hear the speaker difference from various videos on YouTube and it is obvious the sound is more full, but not by much. I would imagine he was just unimpressed, considering how good the Pixel 2 and iPhones do stereo sound. I mean honestly, the way Samsung is creating the stereo sound is the same way people from XDA hack phones to force the earpiece to produce sound.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Played with the S9+ at a Best Buy. I’m trading in my iPhone 8+ for one. Have a black s9+ on preorder from T-Mobile. I had an S8 for a while. Now I was in a noisy store but the speakers on the S9+ sounded good to me, and I’m used to the stereo speakers on the iPhone 8+. I absolutely hate this iPhone and can’t wait to have an android again. Super excited for it for many reasons, one big one being the bluetooth and being able to use LDAC with my Sony bluetooth headphones.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have only been able to hear the speaker difference from various videos on YouTube and it is obvious the sound is more full, but not by much. I would imagine he was just unimpressed, considering how good the Pixel 2 and iPhones do stereo sound. I mean honestly, the way Samsung is creating the stereo sound is the same way people from XDA hack phones to force the earpiece to produce sound.
Comparing via YouTube is not going to give a proper comparison for audio or video. Comparing needs to be in person :)

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Played with the S9+ at a Best Buy. I’m trading in my iPhone 8+ for one. Have a black s9+ on preorder from T-Mobile. I had an S8 for a while. Now I was in a noisy store but the speakers on the S9+ sounded good to me, and I’m used to the stereo speakers on the iPhone 8+. I absolutely hate this iPhone and can’t wait to have an android again. Super excited for it for many reasons, one big one being the bluetooth and being able to use LDAC with my Sony bluetooth headphones.
Maybe they'll ship early again like they did for the Note8:)

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Maybe they'll ship early again like they did for the Note8:)

How early? 3/13 to 3/15 is what T-Mobile tells me is their ship date, and it’ll be shipped with next day shipping. So I guess I could see it as early as 3/14, which is my birthday, so that would be pretty awesome.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
How early? 3/13 to 3/15 is what T-Mobile tells me is their ship date, and it’ll be shipped with next day shipping. So I guess I could see it as early as 3/14, which is my birthday, so that would be pretty awesome.
Well - what is the official release date where they're available in stores to get? WhenI preordered the Note 8, I got it Sept 7 which was like a week or a little more earlier than the release date. :)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Making due with what is available.
Cool, just pointing out at the mercy then of the settings of the source and also the device used to compare when watching. Can give a false impression in either direction.

Kind of like when people call QVC and comment how a product sounds or the picture quality while watching the show. The source and device used to watch is constrained to some degree, so can not really be objective. Only looking and listening in person provides a relatively objective view.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress