Based on the reputable reviews I'm not optimistic.

gazuga6176

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely wait for the pixel 3 if the camera is your biggest concern. I can't see anyone pulling ahead of them this generation.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the S9 camera is that much better than even the S8.

Sure, low light will definitely be better and all the new features (minus AR Emoji) are great, but the image quality itself doesn't seem that different except the multi frame noise reduction.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the S9 camera is that much better than even the S8.

Sure, low light will definitely be better and all the new features (minus AR Emoji) are great, but the image quality itself doesn't seem that different except the multi frame noise reduction.

Do you really think smartphone cameras in general are going to get much better? They’ll come with better set ups and apertures that lesson the noise. But it’s getting harder and harder to tell what camera is the best. They’re all good. Certainly good enough to find others reasons to choose a phone

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Do you really think smartphone cameras in general are going to get much better? They’ll come with better set ups and apertures that lesson the noise. But it’s getting harder and harder to tell what camera is the best. They’re all good. Certainly good enough to find others reasons to choose a phone
Honestly, only in ways where shutterbugs realize.

One thing to understand is that for the general consumer, they're uploaded to places like Instagram, Facebook and all, which apply heavy compression in order to save on bandwidth. So you're definitely losing some quality, and in some cases, a load of them will be lost.

I don't mean that as a bad thing, but let's be honest. There will be people who get all disappointed over the S9's results being marginally improved over the S8, even though realistically, unless some of them understand photography, they can't even notice

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
The only reason people are so meh about the s9 is because how good the s8 and note 8 were. Keep that in perspective when you're deciding

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The only reason people are so meh about the s9 is because how good the s8 and note 8 were. Keep that in perspective when you're deciding

If you were on that owns a Note 8 right now would you get the S9 Plus or wait for Note 9 in sept?

The big name reviewers like Saki, J Will say if you have the Note 8 there really is no point of buying an S9 Plus.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
If you were on that owns a Note 8 right now would you get the S9 Plus or wait for Note 9 in sept?

The big name reviewers like Saki, J Will say if you have the Note 8 there really is no point of buying an S9 Plus.
I have the Note 8. I'm going to try out the S9 Plus since I also have a Tab S3 with S pen. I may keep the Note and return the S9Plus or keep S9Plus and move to the Note 9 later. All depends.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't think any phone right now will beat what Google has done with its software. If you want a fairer match, you would have to either load up the Google camera port on the S9 or shoot both in RAW to judge from there. In just about every other situation including selfies, the Pixel 2 won't be beat. The processing is just that good. So don't judge it on Samsung's processing VS Google's processing. I think the key area that the Pixels excel in is exposure preservation. You will almost never get an overexposed shot on a Pixel phone. With the Google port on my V20 I'm seeing the same results vs the stock camera app. In manual mode I would have to compensate by shooting underexposed to preserve highlight areas and then bring the shadows up on post. The Pixel does this automatically in night and day shots. Now in lowlight video the S9 duo should outperform the Pixel since f/1.5 really just lets in a ton of light and Google can't perform their processing magic as much during video. Also audio capture has always been a weak point of the Pixel phones if you take that into consideration.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, something about the reviews on this phone thus far do not have me excited. I pre-ordered on launch day.

Presently I have the pixel XL 2. I have not red one review so far that is made me think that the S9 plus camera is going to top my pixel XL 2. Of course I am trying to be hopeful, but the reviews are leading me in a different direction.

I'll give it two weeks of fair usage. Anyone else get this vibe from the reviews? I watched as many reputable side-by-sides as I can on YouTube. Hands-On is the real test. I'll know within minutes if the camera is going to pass my tests. My tests are very basic point-and-shoot but I like to take quality photos easily. No manual mode for me. I had the v30 for about 6 hours before I returned it a few weeks ago.

I think the camera will be just as good as the Pixel. dxo mark is usually pretty good with the ratings. But that's just 1 aspect. I also want ip 68, expandable storage, headphone jack and wireless charging. Plus I love Samsung pay

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the camera will be just as good as the Pixel. dxo mark is usually pretty good with the ratings. But that's just 1 aspect. I also want ip 68, expandable storage, headphone jack and wireless charging. Plus I love Samsung pay
I'd like all the above also. I have Samsung pay only because I have a gear Frontier watch. The charging/headset dongle is a pain.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
From the reviews I've seen, it wouldn't surprise if the Pixel was slightly better on more than half the photos one might take, but the S9+ may be a little more versatile and able handle a broader range of situations. Whether or not S9+ is better might depend on how much those other situations apply to a given person.

Here is, I think, a good side by side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrJEy6n3wcU

Wow, that was a great comparison. Hard to choose I think based on that. Both hold their own depending on the situation. I have to admit the optical zoom would be really nice for kids sporting events and plays etc.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Hard to believe that the S9 isn't even in people's hands and already they're willing to say it's not a good device. I think we are living in a day when we expect absolute perfection yesterday in tomorrow's tech. I personally can't wait to use my S9 that is coming tomorrow. It's a huge upgrade for me from the LG G6.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Hard to believe that the S9 isn't even in people's hands and already they're willing to say it's not a good device. I think we are living in a day when we expect absolute perfection yesterday in tomorrow's tech. I personally can't wait to use my S9 that is coming tomorrow. It's a huge upgrade for me from the LG G6.

I have them and I love them. They are better than the S8's I had.

csleverette

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
No I don't think people are saying its not a good device. I think they are saying it depends on what you are wanting in a device on whether or not that makes it an upgrade candidate or not. I think anyone who like Samsung devices that have a 7 or earlier generation will definitely want the 9 as an upgrade. If you are on an 8 series or another phone like the Pixel 2 or even iPhone X, I am not sure you would want too. However, that's where things get tricky.

Regardless the OP's interest was in camera differentiation. Supersaf's camera comparisons are always good. Here is another perspective on the camera differences.

https://youtu.be/Tkvpi3ewFf0

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm not in that group just pointing out the question he had about the camera comparer to the Pixel 2. Personally, I think it's a phenomenal device. Not necessarily an upgrade for last years versions but for many others it definitely is. But if the Google camera port can be used on the S9/+ I think that would ease his concerns a little. Even on my V20 the differences between HDR+ and HDR+ Enhanced mirror the type of results you will get on a Pixel phone.
HDR+

HDR+ Enhanced

No other phone's software can match the algorithms Google's team came up with.
eadff5a96279fa33e487885bd87cd73f.jpg
43d32d5937b6a4885802131c034f6671.jpg

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I have them and I love them. They are better than the S8's I had.
That's great to hear. It seems a lot of people are writing it off before they even have one in their hands. It's totally fine if you want a Pixel instead. Both the Pixel 2 and S9/+ are great phones. There are compromises on both. It's all about what you value the most in a smartphone.

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
It's not so much expecting perfection. Just improvement enough that I can justify ditching a phone I just paid 850$ for less than 6 months ago.

The S9 both variants will be a great upgrade for a lot of folks.