How often do you charge your S9+ / S9 phones?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm torn about using AOD. I love to save battery but I also really like AOD... I feel like I do save some battery, not having AOD on.

I use the AOD and like having it on but yes it does chew up some battery. In my case when I’m at work my phone is on my desk and when home it’s on the table beside me. I generally keep my phone face down so the AOD is off and just turn it over when I want to check it. That way I get the best of both worlds, use of AOD and save some battery at the same time.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I use the AOD and like having it on but yes it does chew up some battery. In my case when I’m at work my phone is on my desk and when home it’s on the table beside me. I generally keep my phone face down so the AOD is off and just turn it over when I want to check it. That way I get the best of both worlds, use of AOD and save some battery at the same time.

Yeah. I noticed that the battery last a little longer with it off. Even though I do really like AOD. So I've had it turned off. And I'm just using LED indicator. Because it eats up less battery.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have an S9+. I've only owned it since Monday so so far, I've only had to charge it once and it's still at 51%. When I do charge my Samsung phones, (S7 Edge, Note 8), I either fast charge them or plug them in if I want a faster charge. Many times, I leave them on the charger for a day or two and it has never ruined my battery doing this and I've done this with every phone going back to the original iPhone in 2007. I just say, charge the phone however you want. I charge mine to 100% and let it get down to 5-15% before I charge it again.

purwater

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I charge mine overnight as I've always done since I've had cell phones. Never had any real battery issues with any of them except for the occasional defective battery from the start. My wife and I both got a new S9+ about a month ago. Hers was great and mine was horrible for battery life. I could watch the % drop quickly doing nothing. I ended up returning it for a note 8, but the 9+ was really the better fit for me so I returned to the S9+ on Saturday. This one is much better than my first one. I'm getting solid battery life. I charge overnight and so far I'm at 35-50% at bedtime after a 16 hour day of use. I don't use wifi very often due to no good home internet options where I live. If I had wifi at home it would definitely help my battery life. I leave everything else turned on since I use it most of the time. Overall I've been satisfied with the battery. I know they say the batteries are happiest between 40-80%, but to be honest it's more stress than it's worth to worry about it. I just charge overnight and know I have enough battery to go all day. On the off chance it's a heavier use day I can do a fast charge top up and be good to go.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
There is an app called Phone INFO in the play store. The latest version now shows the current amount of charges battery has and the current battery health.

Since my S9+ is new and still hasn't been through a complete discharge yet, it doesn't show the correct capacity yet and still shows o cycles.

Here is a screen cap from my Note 8 that was bought on launch day. MY capacity shows 98.91% after 113 battery cycles. That is excellent. This is after charging it from 5-15% all the way to 100% each and every charge. This is why I don't pay attention to those charge to 80% sites.

I edited out the screencap because it shows my serial #.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
S9. Charge overnight but also whenever I'm in the car to use Android Auto. So I'm always topped up mostly.

Mehr10s

Jul 16, 2018
Visit site
I have to charge mine twice a day or more. This used to not be the case until the June T-Mobile update.

Now Android OS takes the bulk of the battery percentage which is not normal.

Can someone help me figure out how to fix this? Thanks!

Screenshot_20180704-165310_Settings.jpg

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
During the week, I generally charge once a day. I throw it on my old slow wireless charger next to the bed so it's full in the morning. It will usually last me all day during the work week. On the weekends, I often have to give it a boost in the middle of the day since I use it more when I'm not at work.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My S9 lasts me pretty much a day on a work day though I'm barely on my phone at all during a shift and it's either set aside or in my pocket until the end of the day. Other days it usually either needs a charge around late afternoon since I'm using it a lot but I've made it a habit to just keep the phone on my wireless charger when I'm not using it or just propping up if I wanna use the phone and have a video playing since I'm using Samsung's fast wireless charging convertible.

karelj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I charge my S9+ to 80-85% and put it back on the charger when it hits 30-35%. Since I dont use my phone as much as I used to in the past, I can get 24-30 hours - sometimes even 36 hours - on just that.

Dr Aditya Arage

Jul 27, 2018
Visit site
can you let me know how much time your mobile takes to charge from 0-100 on a wireless charger , ?
as mine takes 3 and a half to four hours , which I think is toooo much . {mobile data AND Bixby is on and sync is off. AOD AND LOCATION IS OFF.} , SO FOLLLOWING THE ABOVE CONDITIONS please let me know how much time it takes .....when I took my wireless charger to the service centre they said , theres no problem . but I think mine is defective.

karelj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging will always be slower than standard charging. Even with the current crop of Fast Wireless Chargers, it will still be slower. I have never tested from 0-100%, but I don't think there is anything wrong with your phone or wireless charger.

Bankokbob54

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
You should never let your battery go down to 0%. I won't go below 15%. Btw, my S9 charges from approx 20% to 95% in 90 min using the standard charger.

bigguh

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Having a phone sit at 100% on a charger means it's not discharging. This means electrons aren't moving. And this means wear on the battery is at a minimum. Unless you have an app that can hold the charge at the ideal SOC, chances are you are going to oscillate around it. Which causes more wear on the battery. Battery wear is generally most dependent on charge cycles. Which means holding it at a SOC is better for the battery than trying to maintain a range.

This is simply not accurate.

bigguh

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I charge mine overnight as I've always done since I've had cell phones. Never had any real battery issues with any of them except for the occasional defective battery from the start. My wife and I both got a new S9+ about a month ago. Hers was great and mine was horrible for battery life. I could watch the % drop quickly doing nothing. I ended up returning it for a note 8, but the 9+ was really the better fit for me so I returned to the S9+ on Saturday. This one is much better than my first one. I'm getting solid battery life. I charge overnight and so far I'm at 35-50% at bedtime after a 16 hour day of use. I don't use wifi very often due to no good home internet options where I live. If I had wifi at home it would definitely help my battery life. I leave everything else turned on since I use it most of the time. Overall I've been satisfied with the battery. I know they say the batteries are happiest between 40-80%, but to be honest it's more stress than it's worth to worry about it. I just charge overnight and know I have enough battery to go all day. On the off chance it's a heavier use day I can do a fast charge top up and be good to go.

People say it's more stress than it's worth. To be honest, if you switch phones every 12-18 months, it's unlikely you'll see the negative effects of constantly charging your phone to 100% everyday. But depending on how many charge cycles you've put the battery through, you could see the effects sooner rather than later. There is a reason the software is designed to slow down the charging rate at the 80% mark. Above that it is an extreme range for the battery. In addition, I'm glad Samsung has the option of turning fast charging off because that presents another extreme for the battery. That higher charging rate means more heat and wear on the battery. Most people aren't going to listen to this advice and they'll just end up paying for a new phone, which isn't the end of the world obviously. I try to stick to the 40-80 rule of charging. I don't lose my mind if I go out of those ranges. The idea is to minimize the number of cycles the battery is rated for. A cycle is a full charge to 100% and the battery is rated for a certain number. As you get closer to that number (and exceed it) the effects will be noticeable.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
MY Phone INFO app shows 121 cycles after one year of charging my battery from 5% to 100%. You're really not saving cycles by charging from 40-80% because 2.5 of those charges will result give you one cycle. Doesn't matter if it's going to 100% or not because the battery isn't giving you extended life just because you're not charging to 100%. If someone charges the battery to 50% one day, the next day the battery goes to 100% will result in one cycle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress