Automating WIFI on/off after Pie

Needkeys

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Once again, we abandon what works in the name of "advancement". For years now I have used Llama, a cell tower location based automation app. I used it for one purpose - to turn wifi on when I got home, and to turn wifi off when I left home. There was a slight hiccup with the app when Nougat came out, but that was related to the advanced calling settings. Now, with Pie, the app is completely broken (and hasn't been supported in years and is no longer on the play store).

Looking for another app that accomplishes the same thing -- using cell tower id's to trigger the location based event of turning on/off wifi. Key for me is that it's light on battery. I've tried playing with Tasker before, but it's just too complicated for a novice like me. I've heard of macrodroid and IFTT, but have no experience with either. Not looking to get fancy with other events....just simple and straightforward...turn my wifi on when I'm home...turn it off when I leave...and don't use gps (I keep location off unless I'm using Waze)...rather, use cell towers....light on battery and easy enough for a rookie like me to use.

Any suggestions?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
IFTTT should be able to detect tower IDs. From there it's only a matter of "if this tower is in range, enable WiFi, otherwise disable it". The same thing in Tasker, you just have more things to pull together to do the same thing (and you probably need Secure Settings). But the cost - is it going to check every 10 minutes? You can't fire on "change of tower" from anything I can see.