08-17-2018 10:26 PM
33 12
tools
    Hi

I just downloaded an android update on my Galaxy Tab A tablet, for which I had to move several apps to my SD card to make room. This I was able to do without any problem. However after the software update I am no longer able to move any apps. I get an error message saying there is not enough room, despite having used just under 9Gb of the 14Gb card

Any help would be appreciated.
    06-12-2016 02:17 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Are you able to move the apps that are currently on the SD card back to Internal Storage? If so, do that, and then reformat the card. Now try again.
    06-13-2016 02:44 PM
    That seems like a time consuming solution. I think I'll just leave it. Thanks anyway.
    06-13-2016 05:27 PM
    That seems like a time consuming solution. I think I'll just leave it. Thanks anyway.
    Depending on how many apps you want to move, this shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes. And what update did you receive?
    06-14-2016 11:35 AM
    I have the exact same problem after updating my galaxy Tab A.

Current Version after the update: T350XXU1BPE3/T350XAR1BPE3/

Also, My Android Version is shown as 6.0.1

I tried using an App called "Apps2sd" but it does not work either. In fact, it just redirects you to the built in system that is supposed to allow you to move an app to the SD card.

The manual method I tried is going to Settings>>Storage>>Internal Storage>>Used Space>>Apps>>"Select the app I want to move">>CHANGE>>"Select SD Card" -- A new window opens saying the app is about to be "Exported" to the SD Card...So I select "Move" and it then goes to previous screen and displays a popup message at the bottom of the screen that says "Not enough storage space"

I have 3.1 GB of internal storage free and 60GB of Space available on my SD Card.

Any Advice?
    07-11-2016 05:43 PM
    UPDATE: I did discover the following....

I installed a new app (The Bible App) and after installing it, a message popped up from the apps2sd App saying that this app was able to be moved to my sd card. So I went through the steps to move it, as I did before, and it actually moved it over to the SD Card.

The only thing I can surmise is that (for some unknown reason) I cannot move apps that are already installed, but any new app (that is otherwise not forbidden from being moved such as facebook) I can move over to my SD Card. I am also theorizing that I may be able to uninstall one of my current apps that refuses to move over, reinstall it and then I should (hopefully) be able to move it over to my SD Card.

I will try out my theory and post my results here,
    07-12-2016 11:01 AM
    I don't know for sure as I haven't been given Android 6 yet, but I believe you can now make the SD card read as part of internal memory. If that means what I think it means, than the internal 16GB storage shouldn't be a worry and any app can use the SD card. It should be truly expandable storage. I could be totally wrong, so please correct me if I am.
    07-12-2016 01:42 PM
    UPDATE: I did discover the following....

I installed a new app (The Bible App) and after installing it, a message popped up from the apps2sd App saying that this app was able to be moved to my sd card. So I went through the steps to move it, as I did before, and it actually moved it over to the SD Card.

The only thing I can surmise is that (for some unknown reason) I cannot move apps that are already installed, but any new app (that is otherwise not forbidden from being moved such as facebook) I can move over to my SD Card. I am also theorizing that I may be able to uninstall one of my current apps that refuses to move over, reinstall it and then I should (hopefully) be able to move it over to my SD Card.

I will try out my theory and post my results here,
    My theory proved correct. After Uninstalling an app that gave me the "Not enough storage space" error, I then reinstalled the app. Then I tried to move it to my sd card, and voila...it worked.

Also, BerryClever is correct about android 6 (marshmallow). I actually just upgraded my sd card to 128GB and now I imagine I will never run out of space.
    07-15-2016 07:44 PM
    Google took a step backwards with this in the new update. Here's how you move apps from internal storage to your micro sd card:

1. Go to settings/applications/app manager and select an app you wish to move.

2. Select "Storage." Notice that the current storage location is provided. If the app is able to be moved to your micro sd card, there will be a "Change" option. If the app cannot be moved, thus field will not appear.

3. Change the location from Internal to SD Card.

4. Tap on "Move."

I have no idea why Google made this change, because it added more steps to this process than necessary, not to mention that it's a little harder to find on your own.
    Attached Thumbnails Why can't I move apps to SD card?-421.jpg  
    07-17-2016 10:12 AM
    Hmmm...only 1 screenshot loaded. Let's try this again....
    07-17-2016 10:14 AM
    Still not working. Lol. One at a time then....
    Attached Thumbnails Why can't I move apps to SD card?-416.jpg  
    07-17-2016 10:15 AM
    2. Select "Storage." Notice that the current storage location is provided. If the app is able to be moved to your micro sd card, there will be a "Change" option. If the app cannot be moved, thus field will not appear.
    Attached Thumbnails Why can't I move apps to SD card?-419.jpg  
    07-17-2016 10:16 AM
    3. Change the location from Internal to SD Card.
    Attached Thumbnails Why can't I move apps to SD card?-420.jpg  
    07-17-2016 10:18 AM
    4. Tap on "Move."

All done.
    07-17-2016 10:19 AM
    Finally received Android 6 today. I love the individual permissions but it is right to say the SD movement is a step backwards (and I thought the old way was a bit of a pain). Samsung also decided to remove the Android option to make the SD card part of the internal storage. I wish we could decide for ourselves. Its a give and take update, but all in all, I wouldn't downgrade. I'll download and try an app2sd app in hopes it will make the process faster and easier.
    07-18-2016 07:42 PM
    This thread will be quite useful to me. I am new to Android and only learned a few days ago that with Lollipop I cannot simply move apps to the SD Card at will. So I am waiting in anticipation for the Marshmellow upgrade, as installing / moving apps to the Card or USB Flash Drive is something I take for granted with my Windows 10 Tablet PC.
    07-22-2016 05:27 PM
    Hello guys. New to this forum, and in the whole business with Android devices. Got myself a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9,7" and a new 128GB SD card. Yesterday finally instaled some games on my device, but I was surprised I couldn't move them to my SD card. I followed all the steps provided by Brew Swayne, and I went through all the process until the very last step when it's exporting game to my SD card. After a few seconds it's all done, but nothing really happens. The games and applications I tried to move to my SD card are still on my Tablets internal memory. I'm very confused why is that. I have Android 6.0.1 on my device, and version SM-T555XXU1BPD7.
    12-28-2016 05:26 PM
    OK let me rephrase my question. Is there a way then to automatically install aplications to your SD card, without it first installing on the memory device. On my Windows phone it is a matter of clicking on a few buttons, but I couldn't see this option anywhere on my Galaxy Tab A 9,7".
    01-07-2017 08:40 AM
    Moving an app to your external SD card doesn't actually move the entire app, just some of the app data. So you'll actually have the app split between 2 locations.

My understanding is that the app itself remains on your device, but additional data (such as log in info, or maybe scores/progress if it's a game) may be stored on your external. I think it's kind of it like Microsoft Word. The program is on your computer and you can save files to external sources, but in order to open the, it needs to find the source program on your computer. Truth is, I'm not 100% certain exactly what gets moved and what stays on your device, but this has always been the way I've imagined it works.

As for your question about installing apps directly to your SD card, I'm not aware of anyway to do that.

Not all apps are able to be moved to external storage either. Also, you'll want to keep in mind that some apps might not function properly if you move them to your SD card. I've noticed some apps act "glitchy" when moved to external storage, while I lost the ability to use widgets with a few others. I moved them back to internal storage and everything was back to normal.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-08-2017 11:49 PM
    Brew Swayne is correct -- you can't install apps directly to the SD card. They always have to be installed to Internal Storage first, after which you may have the option to move a portion of the app to SD.
    01-09-2017 02:00 AM
    Damn. Well that just sucks :-( .

Yeah I noticed that when I do move an application to my SD card, something actually moves. But it is insignificant compared to what stays on the internal memory of the device. For example Heroes of Might & Magic HD game, which takes 2,17GB of memory. And when I move it to the SD card, only around 100MB actually move, while the majority stays on the device. Which again means nothing when you have a 16GB internal memory, and 128GB of SD card memory. If only it was the other way around. To move 2,16GB to the SD card, and the 100MB staying on the device.

I was very disappointed with my Windows phone which I got two years ago, when I found out the lack od applications it had. But now what does it matter to me when soon I won't have any more space where to install them. On my Windows phone it was a matter of clicking a few buttons and voila, all of the aplications from now on are being installed on my SD card instead of the internal memory. So naturally I'm now even more disapointed with Android because of giving you soo many nice applications, and no options where to put them. I feel soo cheated for not knowing this because I would have never bought the device. But not in a million years did I suspect that something in theory this simple, is going to be a problem.

Brew Swayne and B. Diddy thank kindly you for your answers and help.
    I don't know what I'm gonna do. Probably sell the device and buy myself a Windows tablet.
    01-09-2017 08:09 AM
    Sorry that you're in this situation. The SD card has never been a good option for app installation, because it was never designed to work that way on Android. In addition, SD cards are notoriously unreliable -- the quality of the memory chips that are used is bottom of the barrel, even for well-known brands (according to a friend I know in the industry). This means that SD cards have much more chance of failing or getting corrupted, compared to onboard memory. If that happens, then any apps you have installed to the SD will fail -- and you can imagine that if any important system apps were installed there, the whole system could crash.

With Android, it's always best to get as much internal storage as you can afford. If you plan on using it for a lot of apps and gaming, then 32 GB is probably the minimum. In the future, basic guides for a platform may be helpful as you research your purchases, like this one: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...16-nougat.html
    01-09-2017 11:12 AM
    Damn. Well that just sucks :-( .

Yeah I noticed that when I do move an application to my SD card, something actually moves. But it is insignificant compared to what stays on the internal memory of the device. For example Heroes of Might & Magic HD game, which takes 2,17GB of memory. And when I move it to the SD card, only around 100MB actually move, while the majority stays on the device. Which again means nothing when you have a 16GB internal memory, and 128GB of SD card memory. If only it was the other way around. To move 2,16GB to the SD card, and the 100MB staying on the device.

I was very disappointed with my Windows phone which I got two years ago, when I found out the lack od applications it had. But now what does it matter to me when soon I won't have any more space where to install them. On my Windows phone it was a matter of clicking a few buttons and voila, all of the aplications from now on are being installed on my SD card instead of the internal memory. So naturally I'm now even more disapointed with Android because of giving you soo many nice applications, and no options where to put them. I feel soo cheated for not knowing this because I would have never bought the device. But not in a million years did I suspect that something in theory this simple, is going to be a problem.

Brew Swayne and B. Diddy thank kindly you for your answers and help.
    I don't know what I'm gonna do. Probably sell the device and buy myself a Windows tablet.
    The OS is far less important than the storage capacity of your device. If you go to a Windows tablet, but only purchase one with 16GB of storage then you're still going to be in the same boat. This particular tablet is not really designed to be a gaming tablet. It's a low cost tablet that's really for someone who wants to browse the Web, shop online, video stream, check Facebook or Twitter, and maybe play simple games like solitaire or candy crush.

The external storage (especially for devices with less than 32GB of storage) is really for things like your music, photos, videos, while internal storage is for the OS and apps.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-09-2017 03:38 PM
    B. Diddy & Brew Swayne:

Again thank you sooo much for your feedback and suggestions. I wasn't aware of the whole story with the SD cards. It's definetly good to know, but again makes me sad it is the way it is. I also wasn't aware of the low performance of gaming on Microsoft tablets. I mean it's not like I'm going to play some hard core games on the tablet, but it's nice to at least have an option to play some good ones.

After this I think I'll be keeping my Samsung Galaxy Tab 9,7", in hope that in near future there will be some work around this problem.
    01-10-2017 10:12 AM
    No problem. Funny thing is, I primarily use this tablet for a game myself (Marvel Contest of Champions). It takes up about 1 GB of internal storage, which is A LOT of space when you've only got 16GB to work with. To counter that, I didn't overload the tablet with unnecessary apps that take up a lot of space.

I basically use this thing for my game, email, web browsing, and a few misc apps that I use frequently like Amazon, eBay my bank, and that's about it.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-14-2017 02:28 PM
33 12