Sleep tracking on Gear s2...

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone figured this out yet? I bought mine yesterday but didn't wear it to bed as I had it charging. Had it on today and crashed for about 3 hours but it didn't seem to register on the S health app. From everything I can find (which isn't much) it seems like it does sleep tracking automatically unlike the gear fit which you had to manually enter sleeping mode. Did the automatic sleep tracking work for anyone else?

ReggieReg72

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I haven't used it yet but it looks like you have to start the sleep tracking from the S Health App 1927.jpg

Posted via the Android Central App

DdHacor

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
That graphic above regarding the "Start" button is only to start the "Goal" of tracking sleep. The actual sleep tracking has not happened for me.

Curiously, If you go into the S Health app, touch "More" then look at the accessories, under sleep tracking, the S2 is not listed as an accessory. A bunch of devices are, but not the S2. Seems ridiculous if it won't do it. I'll try again today...

PureAdam11

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Curiously, If you go into the S Health app, touch "More" then look at the accessories, under sleep tracking, the S2 is not listed as an accessory. A bunch of devices are, but not the S2. Seems ridiculous if it won't do it. I'll try again today...

The S2 is there as an accessory in S-Health. Hit View More.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Same. I cant seem to figure out out to start sleep tracking on the s2. The gear fit did it previously. If it doesnt have this feature Ill probably return it. Whats the purpose of having 2-3 day battery/ keeping it on at night if it doesnt track sleep?

Edit: I looked into owners manual and there is nothing mentioned about sleep tracking. It monitors inactive time but doesnt send sleep tracking to s health app. Major fail. If this is true I will def be returning.

ReggieReg72

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm a noob with S Health so I'm not trying to be a wise @ss... But is sleep tracking a deal breaker for real? I always see that as a "nice to have" but can you explain why that is critical? Does the watch tell you to go to bed at a certain time? Does the Gear fit have all the other functionality as the S2?

Frank Booth

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Check out Sleep as Android app for phone and the companion Gear S2 app. These integrate with the S Health as a "companion app."

A cumbersome solution, but it would seem to allow the s2 to be used for sleep tracking.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm a noob with S Health so I'm not trying to be a wise @ss... But is sleep tracking a deal breaker for real? I always see that as a "nice to have" but can you explain why that is critical? Does the watch tell you to go to bed at a certain time? Does the Gear fit have all the other functionality as the S2?

For me it is, because i can buy another smartwatch or fitness tracker for half the price that can do the same thing. If it doesnt track your sleep, why does it even matter to wear it at night or whats the use case for having 2-3 day battery. If that wasnt a big deal samsung could have given us one day battery, and made the device cheaper. No the watch doesnt tell you to go to bed at a certain time which I dont think it should. The gear fit doesnt have the same functionality as the s2, for example you cannot reply to messages from the gear fit, but then again you cant track sleep from s2. I want something complete and not half baked. If their own application that they made for the device offers sleep tracking, why not build that into the device itself. Overall I like the s2 mainly because of its rotating bezel but I would like a complete product, personally.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Check out Sleep as Android app for phone and the companion Gear S2 app. These integrate with the S Health as a "companion app."

A cumbersome solution, but it would seem to allow the s2 to be used for sleep tracking.

Thanks Ill give that a look!
Edit: I have downloaded and will try however its only a trial. Sucks you have to pay more money for something that kind of should have been built into the app

Last edited:

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
For me it is, because i can buy another smartwatch or fitness tracker for half the price that can do the same thing. If it doesnt track your sleep, why does it even matter to wear it at night or whats the use case for having 2-3 day battery. If that wasnt a big deal samsung could have given us one day battery, and made the device cheaper. No the watch doesnt tell you to go to bed at a certain time which I dont think it should. The gear fit doesnt have the same functionality as the s2, for example you cannot reply to messages from the gear fit, but then again you cant track sleep from s2. I want something complete and not half baked. If their own application that they made for the device offers sleep tracking, why not build that into the device itself. Overall I like the s2 mainly because of its rotating bezel but I would like a complete product, personally.
I've obviously been playing with my S2 the first 3 days much more than I will normally, but I'm not sure that Samsung has given us much more than a one day battery. My Gear Live was generally ending up with around 50% after a 16 hour day. S2 has ended first three days at around 25%, and yesterday I tried to just leave it be, and use it normally.

luisrcastillo

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I've obviously been playing with my S2 the first 3 days much more than I will normally, but I'm not sure that Samsung has given us much more than a one day battery. My Gear Live was generally ending up with around 50% after a 16 hour day. S2 has ended first three days at around 25%, and yesterday I tried to just leave it be, and use it normally.
I just returned mine but I based on the average I saw I think I was very close to getting 2 days. My old gear live, that thing was terrible and sometimes had to be on the charger by 6 PM. You're lucky you got such battery life on that device

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I just returned mine but I based on the average I saw I think I was very close to getting 2 days. My old gear live, that thing was terrible and sometimes had to be on the charger by 6 PM. You're lucky you got such battery life on that device

I think it took 4 or 5 AW sw updates to get much better battery life on my Gear Live. Bought it refurbished from Best Buy, and have mostly liked it.

luisrcastillo

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I think it took 4 or 5 AW sw updates to get much better battery life on my Gear Live. Bought it refurbished from Best Buy, and have mostly liked it.
Mine was the complete opposite, new updates made it worse. I liked it too and also bought refurbished and it was an inexpensive way to get into smart watches

DdHacor

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
It's not listed as an accessory under the "sleep" devices though. Even if you select the more tab. At least on my app. (Galaxy S5)

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
There's a $2 app called GNight that advertises sleep tracking. Based on the (limited) comments, it looks like it's completely standalone, and so not integrated with S Health or anything else. Has anybody tried this?

Ittlebit

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Sleep as Android is a very good app and is supported by S Health. The app tracks sleep with graphs and also will record sound (snooring, etc.) I use it with my Pebble OG and love it. I hope it works just as well for the S2 when I get it.

alex346

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Sleep as Android is a very good app and is supported by S Health. The app tracks sleep with graphs and also will record sound (snooring, etc.) I use it with my Pebble OG and love it. I hope it works just as well for the S2 when I get it.

As far as what I can see there is no sleep as android app for the gear s2 yet

nate_ubiquisoft

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I have yet to find any way to record sleep data with the Gear S2. Samsung "support" had very little to say about this feature and said that future releases may include that functionality. I'm giving it a month before I return it and get something *MOTO* else.

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
So I went ahead and tried it. Not very familiar with sleep apps, but it does record your patterns while you sleep. Not sure what to make of them once I'm awake, as it only produces a graph that you can only read on the watch's tiny screen. So, perhaps promising, but it would be better if it integrated with S-health or something like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez