Running Apps for Gear S2

mha41

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
My running app was Nike Running which is now not functional with the change to Nike Running Club. Does any one use a running app that works with GPS, heart monitoring and recorded data for each run? I have used Runtastic for years, which is great, but it does not sync with S2 so the heart monitor info is only on my watch. Plus I bought the S2 so I would not have to carry the phone. Any ideas?

muvb00

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Bottom Line, Gear S2 for running is a complete dud. Don't ever expect that to change with this device. Between the GPS issues, the touchscreen issues (w sweat), trying to play music concurrently with running, Nike+ being removed, random resets of mileage with S-Health, and basic suckiness it will never work like a dedicated running watch.

I tried running a 10k with S-Health, and music running in the background. After a couple reboots I finally got it working about 2 minutes before the race. During the race the mileage reset randomly, but not the time. The mileage was off the entire time as well due to the GPS sucking. Having to rotate the dial to see your pace caused other issues. I basically just gave up using it. Thankfully the music stayed playing the entire time.

mha41

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Thank you. This will save me wasting time. I have lot of hours invested in trying to make it work. Did you replace the S2 with another smartwatch?

muvb00

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm looking still... I'd prefer a single smartwatch to handle everything, but it looks like the only options are the Polar m600 and the Motorola Moto Sport, or Apple (not Apple guy). Everything from Garmin is lacking music. The TomTom options lack phone notifications. The m600 is pretty pricey and looks ugly and the Moto Sport doesn't have great reviews itself. I still just use an old cheap garmin. It looks horrendous, but provides me with the necessary info while running. Not sure if the miracle device will ever come out. The technology is there, seems like execution has been lacking though.

mha41

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
It is very odd. I would think that the combination of phone on watch (without need to be sync'd to smartphone), heart monitor, music, great running app and water proof would be in high demand, but I haven't found it if it exists. Thanks for the info.

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I used to use run-specific apps and even tried the Nike app.

Lately, I have just stuck to the Samsung S-Health app. It detects when I start running (sort of) and begins counting. Alternatively, I can (& have) manually started the running app. I also use the watch to play music -on my running BT headphones.

It is surprisingly stable and works well. I run without my phone since the Gear S2 (3G) can still get calls if I want to take them, the music comes from the watch and the S-Heath counter captures my run. S-Health is not very sophisticated in this regard. The app -and Samsung GPS seems to have about a 10% distance error on a consistent basis. However, if you know this, then it does not affect the goals/times plan for the workout.

Depending upon how long the run is, I need to have the watch at about 90% for anything over two hours. Have not used it for runs over 3 hours.