How Do You Like Your SSW2?

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Been considering a smartwatch lately and been torn. I have the Note 3 but the galaxy gear is just too expensive. Love Sony products but wanted to hear some real world reviews. Anyone who owns the Sony Smartwatch 2 please post a review. Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Queueyou

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I have one, have had it about two weeks. I have been able to do all I really wanted a smartwatch to do (tell time / show me notifications / small details). This has let me pull the phone out of my pocket only when really necessary and not when I get some junk or something I don't really care to deal with. I have had my phone on vibrate damn near since I got the watch unless I'm charging it (which I've charged it 3 times in 2 weeks btw...). I'm not using it like some power user, but I am getting all my notifications on it and can review emails. I have had it lock up (on a 3rd party app that I have since removed), but it is quick to reset itself in those cases (seconds, not minutes). Only issue I've had was that I used non-standard IM apps on my phone and wasn't getting those notifications. I have since found an app that handles that better than what I had before, so all is good now. I found it a little heavy at first mostly because I haven't had a watch in years. I've only taken it off since I got it to shower (not really needed, but why push it) and to charge it. I LOVE the look of the galaxy gear watch and can only assume the same kinds of apps are available, but I have an HTC One. Had they let the watch be used on any android 4.0+ phone, I think they would have a huge market. Personally, I don't like/need the camera on the side of it and think that part looks bad.

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response, that was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Hard to get much out of professional reviews for me...

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I've had SW2 for about a week now. Before that I had the older Sony MN2. The reviews on the old MN2 flat out said DO NOT BUY. To be honest, I kind of liked it. It had a couple of annoyances, like a flaky charge connector, not useable in sunlight, and not waterproof. Sony corrected those issues with the SW2. I can actually tell the time while riding my motorcycle. :)
These watches aren't really what I would call 'smart'. The phone still has the smarts. This guys are just Bluetooth peripherals. They shows notifications and control a few items. Like you can use it as a camera remote. I am good with that. I don't need yet another device that I need to load my calendar and such onto. I like that it is just a nice place for notifications to appear. It is also nice that it vibrates if you walk away from your phone. I'm less likely to lose the phone.

kentigern

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Third time lucky?
I'm now waiting for my 3rd replacement from Amazon. First two locked up after a few days and stayed that way despite pressing the button /trying a recharge etc. Any ideas? The fact that I'm getting replacement number 3 days how much I like this watch... when it works...

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

fasnic

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
@Queueyou Are you using the native SMS app or a third party? I really like the price and look of the Sony SM2, but I know the Galaxy Gear won't display notifications from a third party SMS app, and that is my fear with the Sony SM2. Also what IM app did you find that works..?

papachange05

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I just got my SW2 yesterday from Amazon. I owned the previous model, and this thing is miles ahead of it. From the build quality, to the "always on" reflective screen (which works quite well), this thing is almost everything I want in a "smart" watch. Like worwig said, I don't want another truly smart device to wear around in tandem with my smart phone. I want a second screen to show me glancable information so I don't have to get my big, yet beautiful LG G2 out of my pocket quite so many times in the day. One app I suggest purchasing is the same one Jerry suggested, "watch notifier". That allows you to get my whatsapp, Facebook messaging, and any other notification you would want onto the watch. The ONLY thing that needs immediately remedied is to provide a digital clock with a date as a watch face. This was shown in the promotional materials, but is nowhere to be found in the final product.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
The ONLY thing that needs immediately remedied is to provide a digital clock with a date as a watch face. This was shown in the promotional materials, but is nowhere to be found in the final product.

There was just an update from Sony that now includes a digital watchface with the date. Not sure I care for it because it has a very small font.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I just got mine today. I really like that the band is stainless steal unlike the gear. It does what I want it to do like view incoming calls, text, gmail and stuff like that. I had the gear before and had to sell it because i got rid of my note 3 thinking the note 2 was ready for the update but still nada. I'm going to keep playing with it for a few more days before I decide if I want to take it back to best buy for a full refund. I think 200 bucks is a fair price for this watch. It took some time getting it set up with the moto X. I noticed the battery dip out a lil bit faster, but I'm going to wait for a bit before I blame the watch.

To be continued....

zlively

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Would not load the software on my Optimus G Pro... Says downloading for hours.... This watch goes back to Best Buy...... I'll wait for something else

enigmax

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Works great with my Note 10.1 (phone model). Looks classy with a steel band, much cooler than Gear with a rubber band. All I have done with Sw2, have worked as they should. Pairs automatically with my phone if battery runs out or booting my phone. Sw2 battery seems to last long =)

This was an essential accesory for me because of the size of my phone. Im always carrying it on my bag, and never know who calls, or if i have gotten sms, mail or... Now I know all these stuff and check my callender without opening my bag etc.

And Samsung didnt release the software update for my Note tomwork with Gear, i was forced to get Sony SW2, but Im so pleased I didnt get Gear. This one is much more better and wearable!

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 4

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Just bought mine today. As of now I am really liking it! Smooth interface and good amount of apps to keep the watch working. It feels comfortable and feels like am extremely high quality product.

I am loving it so far.

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Bought mine a few days ago and love it. Decided on a SSW2 instead of the SGG for the following:

1. Micro USB charging instead of SGG`s proprietary charging cradle.
2. Had no use for the **** Tracy talking watch nor the low res camera. (Wow, the forum swapped the stars for the first name, not dirty but, wow)
3. Sony price was 100 bucks or more lower in price depending on where bought.
4. More compatability over the Samsung and I am a Samsung user on many devices.
(Sony SW2 works with any Android device vs Samsung GG only works with select Samsung devices)
5. Connecting multiple bluetooth devices with my phone while using the Sony, SGG can`t...
6. Battery life on the Sony is 3 to 4 times better than the Samsung.
7. Watch band is a standard band and can be used with or replaced with ANY regular watch band.
8. MORE aps available, but remember, this is a bluetooth device supporting your phone, not replacing it.

The only plus the SGG has over the SSW2 is a better screen resolution, but I found for the screen size that that is a non issue. The Sony has a great display and I am happy with it's screen looks, color, et all... This was a consideration for me so I went and compared both watches side by side powered up in a store. I got mine for a great price far less than the original 200 dollars so just shop and compare. Waiting for a next gen would work too and I'd still buy this gen over the nex gen version with even a bigger drop in price.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi)
Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Bought mine a few days ago and love it. Decided on a SSW2 instead of the SGG for the following:

1. Micro USB charging instead of SGG`s proprietary charging cradle.
2. Had no use for the **** Tracy talking watch nor the low res camera. (Wow, the forum swapped the stars for the first name, not dirty but, wow)
3. Sony price was 100 bucks or more lower in price depending on where bought.
4. More compatability over the Samsung and I am a Samsung user on many devices.
(Sony SW2 works with any Android device vs Samsung GG only works with select Samsung devices)
5. Connecting multiple bluetooth devices with my phone while using the Sony, SGG can`t...
6. Battery life on the Sony is 3 to 4 times better than the Samsung.
7. Watch band is a standard band and can be used with or replaced with ANY regular watch band.
8. MORE aps available, but remember, this is a bluetooth device supporting your phone, not replacing it.

The only plus the SGG has over the SSW2 is a better screen resolution, but I found for the screen size that that is a non issue. The Sony has a great display and I am happy with it's screen looks, color, et all... This was a consideration for me so I went and compared both watches side by side powered up in a store. I got mine for a great price far less than the original 200 dollars so just shop and compare. Waiting for a next gen would work too and I'd still buy this gen over the nex gen version with even a bigger drop in price.

Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

You pretty much nailed it for all the same reasons I did which prompted me to order one last night. There's no arguing with any of the points you make and they're echoed by many a reviewer on comparing to the SGG and Pebble. I watched and read quite a few comparrisons and the Sony 99% of the time either came out ahead or on the middle ground in most areas for the afore mentioned reasons.

I own a Galaxy Note 2 so was tempted to go with Samsung's offering but the price difference and the compatibility were my biggest turn offs as I'm very likely not going to choose a Samsung handset next time round so wanted something that would work with others.

Thanks to Amazon Prime 30 day trial it's arriving tomorrow (Sunday) and I can't wait to tinker with it!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

cahls

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
You will love it, I found buying many of the dollar/two dollar aps very appealing, actually bought 15 or 20 that were very functinal. After all, I wanted functional and utility out of the watch... Write back after a bit of use...

Samsung Galaxy S3 (AT&T)

Peter Cotton

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I just got my new Sony Smartwatch today. I was after a replacement for my standard watch with some extra features. So far I'm really impressed. My favourite things are the ability to have RSS feeds on it so I can get the latest news straight to my wrist. Also, having my notes on my wrist is a real bonus when working.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I got my SSW2 over a week ago, I find it very useful, I no longer need to keep getting my mobile out to check message's or any other notification, I've also love one of the app that help you find your mobile if you missed placed it. I purchased the 1.6" screen and black metal strap, once I got it it I thought it was little heavy and big, but once I got it on my wrist it fitted perfectly and felt comfortable to wear, the screen size was perfect for me and didn't look too big at all. I love it

Posted with Xperia Tablet Z WiFi SGP311 via Android Central App

n3vry

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered a SW2 via eBay, should be here in a day or 2. The reason that I went with the Sony is because I have a Note 3 and a Droid Ultra. Yes, I could have bought a Gear Live, but I can't see paying $299 for a Smartwatch. I just hope it does what I want.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered a SW2 via eBay, should be here in a day or 2. The reason that I went with the Sony is because I have a Note 3 and a Droid Ultra. Yes, I could have bought a Gear Live, but I can't see paying $299 for a Smartwatch. I just hope it does what I want.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Great live is only $199

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non