Audio Sucks - Xperia Z1S

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Just got the phone yesterday and I am already ready to return it due to the poor 3.5mm audio output. Im an avid user of my phone as a music player and so I thought it would have good quality since its a Sony product. The clarity is great, however,it seems like the music I compressed very heavily. Ive tried the LG g2 and I have GN2 and both have great loudness. Is there some type of tweak I can do to make this thing louder? Poweramp does little and I don't like the fact that I cant stream from Gmusic with it. I love the phone but fully compressed audio and muted loudness is a deal breaker.

Last edited by a moderator:

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Audio Sucks - z1s

Just got the phone yesterday and I am already ready to return it due to the poor 3.5mm audio output. Im an avid user of my phone as a music player and so I thought it would have good quality since its a Sony product. The clarity is great, however,it seems like the music I compressed very heavily. Ive tried the LG g2 and I have GN2 and both have great loudness. Is there some type of tweak I can do to make this thing louder? Poweramp does little and I don't like the fact that I cant stream from Gmusic with it. I love the phone but fully compressed audio and muted loudness is a deal breaker.

Idk mine sounds pretty great, both with the Walkman app and Play Music. And reviews generally tend to praise the Z1 and Z1s audio quality thru the headphone jack.

Posted via Android Central App

surfaday

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Audio Sucks - z1s

I have agree with the op, there is definitely something lacking. There is no comparison to the quality I get from my nexus 7 or the Galaxy S4 I just replaced.

It could be personal taste though, and its not a deal breaker for me, I love this phone!

smurfercom

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
On all of my phones I always turn on volume leveling. No complaints with this built in player plus compressing your music files is a cardinal sin! Your Z1S can play flac native!

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
It is an application. It is pretty good, but the stock walkman app is pretty good to me as well. Not a lot of settings you can change compared to poweramp, but thats not a big deal to me. The walkman app will play flac files and if you turn on clearaudio+ it sounds great. Just as good as any other android phone I have owned. I listen to a lot of jazz, blues, and rock music.

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what phone your comparing it to, but in my home, we have the following in regard to relevant devices: Motorola Atrix 4G, Motorola Razr, Samsung Galaxy Ace IIx, Sony Xperia ZL, Sony Xperia Z and an Asus Memo pad 10". I've also tested the Xperia Z1 just about two weeks ago when, my better half was shopping for a new phone; and the Z1 did not come across as being any less loud or capable than the other handsets and Android tablet I'm familiar with.

Perhaps there is a problem with your unit or earphone cord ? As a tip, though, try re-booting your phone, and use the volume from low to high, and use the software settings volume, not the main volume rocker. Don't put it all the way up from the get-go, or you may trip-up the Android auditive protection thingy.

darigaaz12

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
They did some extensive testing over at phone arena both headphone and speaker output seem to be less than other phones but the signal produced is pretty flat and not colored.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what phone your comparing it to, but in my home, we have the following in regard to relevant devices: Motorola Atrix 4G, Motorola Razr, Samsung Galaxy Ace IIx, Sony Xperia ZL, Sony Xperia Z and an Asus Memo pad 10". I've also tested the Xperia Z1 just about two weeks ago when, my better half was shopping for a new phone; and the Z1 did not come across as being any less loud or capable than the other handsets and Android tablet I'm familiar with.

Perhaps there is a problem with your unit or earphone cord ? As a tip, though, try re-booting your phone, and use the volume from low to high, and use the software settings volume, not the main volume rocker. Don't put it all the way up from the get-go, or you may trip-up the Android auditive protection thingy.

Brand new unit.. It occurs that even the Sony Z1 is horrible as well and needs modifies

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
They did some extensive testing over at phone arena both headphone and speaker output seem to be less than other phones but the signal produced is pretty flat and not colored.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

This is a pretty good summary of my experience with audio playback with my Z1s. The output does seem to be a little lower than previous phones I have experienced. That said, I find the output to be more than enough. However, I'm not trying to crush my eardrums either.

The quality is very good and uncolored. If your looking for a sound signature that has a strong bass emphasis you probably won't like the sound on the Z1s. I've also found the phone to be very responsive to equalization and tone controls. However, it is very easy to overdrive or distort the audio section using dramatic tone adjustments or using multiple sound enhancements.

I was having a hard time with the mids and bass distorting in my car. I use Poweramp and discovered that both the phone's and Poweramp's equalizer were engaged. Turned-off the equalizer in the Sony app and all was good.

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I no longer enable clearaudio+. It makes the music sound shrill. Best thing to do is enable the dynamic normalizer and leave clearaudio+ turned off. This will increase the volume and maintain the clarity of the music. It is absolutely louder than it even needs to be. this is coming from a musician that owns a lot of high end audio equipment.

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I no longer enable clearaudio+. It makes the music sound shrill. Best thing to do is enable the dynamic normalizer and leave clearaudio+ turned off. This will increase the volume and maintain the clarity of the music. It is absolutely louder than it even needs to be. this is coming from a musician that owns a lot of high end audio equipment.

It's gone back.. You can't even talk over speaker phone or use any voice recognition aps

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

smurfercom

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It's gone back.. You can't even talk over speaker phone or use any voice recognition aps

Sounds defective no issues with my unit as you describe. I'm using voice recognition to post in this thread and it's working perfectly.

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Sounds defective no issues with my unit as you describe. I'm using voice recognition to post in this thread and it's working perfectly.

You must have a specialized phone because I tested 3 display units at the store and the manager at the store who had the phone agreed with me that they had that problem .. He ended up with that note 3