New to the Nexus S

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Nexus S and the battery is pretty good compared to my other phone (HTC Inspire 4G). The only problem seems to be that when I connect it to charge it takes sooooooo long to charge. Yesterday I connected it to charge and it had 46% battery and it took nearly 2 and a half hours just to reach 85%!

Is this normal? What do you guys recommend? And I have two batteries, stock, and it seems to be the case with both. From empty (when it hits red) to try and fully charge it I am average around 3 hours or more.

Thanks and appreciate the input...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the Nexus S family.

Your in the ball park on average charge times.... I've always looked at a slower charge being better than a fast charge when it comes to overall battery life. I say this from my experience running RC Cars/Trucks and rechargeable batteries and how battery life can differ from repeated fast charge compared to a slower charge.

opteron7

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes that's normal I carry an extra battery I use my Nexus for work. But I rarely have to use it.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

luismpr

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
root it , load petes bugless beast ICS rom and matr1x kernel, put brighness on auto and only use data when you need it and youll be looking at atleast 16 hours of use ,the highest ive gotten is 26. getting carried away lol, o and WELCOME TO THE NEXUS S FAMILY!

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Slow charging is normal.. in fact, I observe "no charge" when plugged into a car charger combined with heavy GPS useage.

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Thats strange, because just today I charged from about 30% to full in only about 2.5 hours. In fact I've always felt like my Nexus charges faster than most devices I've used. Maybe because I always charge from an outlet and not USB?

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Well I charge it using the wall charger too. And yeah its what I am still averaging. Yesterday it was at 92 percent, and in like 40 mins it went to 95 Haha

And well yeah one thing I noticed even though it takes a while to charge is the battery lasts longer. It lasts almost all day with no use, if I use it sporadically to text or make calls it still lasts a good amount of time.

So far I am very impressed by this phone but I am scared to root haha

I read somewhere the slow charging had to do something with the charger being 70 in power or something? But eh I guess if you guys say its normal then I will adjust

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed it APPEARS to charge faster if it is completely shut down. I haven't done any scientific testing of it, but you may want to try...

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed it APPEARS to charge faster if it is completely shut down. I haven't done any scientific testing of it, but you may want to try...

Most devices charge faster if turned completely off.

However, I would like to see real scientific data on this. I'm talking billion dollars of research complete with mathematical formulas of time. :p

But, in all seriousness, it will charge faster while off because there's nothing running in the background. Alternatively, putting it on Airplane Mode and leaving the radios all off seems to charge faster too.

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
ha Yeah guys I read that somewhere too that if its completely turn off it charges faster hmmm.

Since I dont want to start another thread, and since I read alot of threads on the issue and could not come up with a definite answer, I have another Q. APPARENTLY haha my friend told me he "rooted" my phone. I have never rooted or jailbroken or stuff like that so I dont even know when they are haha

But he installed an app called "Wifi Tether" and right now I dont have internet so I use this app to connect to the internet using the phones 4G Connection. I dont download stuff, I browse the web, sports forums sports websites etc...

He said this is free? I was reading the threads on Wifi Tether and I could not find a def answer.
I dont understand how it works I get great speeds too (7MB down 1.5MB up) both on my Windows PC and on my Macbook.

Anyone with any info Id appreciate it. And Wow I am really liking this phone. Since he said he rooted my phone I kidna want to install ICS on it but I am scared to mess with it! haha

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
ha Yeah guys I read that somewhere too that if its completely turn off it charges faster hmmm.

Since I dont want to start another thread, and since I read alot of threads on the issue and could not come up with a definite answer, I have another Q. APPARENTLY haha my friend told me he "rooted" my phone. I have never rooted or jailbroken or stuff like that so I dont even know when they are haha

But he installed an app called "Wifi Tether" and right now I dont have internet so I use this app to connect to the internet using the phones 4G Connection. I dont download stuff, I browse the web, sports forums sports websites etc...

He said this is free? I was reading the threads on Wifi Tether and I could not find a def answer.
I dont understand how it works I get great speeds too (7MB down 1.5MB up) both on my Windows PC and on my Macbook.

Anyone with any info Id appreciate it. And Wow I am really liking this phone. Since he said he rooted my phone I kidna want to install ICS on it but I am scared to mess with it! haha

It's not really free, it's $30/mo to tether with Sprint. HOWEVER, since you are rooted and using an app to turn tether on anyway, it's free for you.

Keep in mind that once Sprint starts to push LTE, they will most likely start doing what AT&T is doing and stopping those from tethering for free by sending notifications about it and trying to sell you into a tethering plan.

Also keep in mind that Sprint does know how much internet you use on 3G/Wi-Max because they can see your data usage just as well as you can if you went to Sprint.com. Full PC websites and whatnot use more MB than mobile based sites do and using a lot can raise red flags to Sprint. However, it's good that you're not using it to download because that will cause a bigger spike in usage than simply browsing.

Right now, you're "safe". But later on this year, you may not be.

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It's not really free, it's $30/mo to tether with Sprint. HOWEVER, since you are rooted and using an app to turn tether on anyway, it's free for you.

Keep in mind that once Sprint starts to push LTE, they will most likely start doing what AT&T is doing and stopping those from tethering for free by sending notifications about it and trying to sell you into a tethering plan.

Also keep in mind that Sprint does know how much internet you use on 3G/Wi-Max because they can see your data usage just as well as you can if you went to Sprint.com. Full PC websites and whatnot use more MB than mobile based sites do and using a lot can raise red flags to Sprint. However, it's good that you're not using it to download because that will cause a bigger spike in usage than simply browsing.

Right now, you're "safe". But later on this year, you may not be.

Oh Wow. Thanks so much :cool: Thats a detailed explanation if I ever got one. Really appreciate it. Hopefully when they do do that my Tethering just stops working because I dont want to completely uninstall or remove the root thing or whatever my friend did. I want to install ICS and he said its always best to be rooted but I dont know...I am kind of a weenie :( haha

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Oh Wow. Thanks so much :cool: Thats a detailed explanation if I ever got one. Really appreciate it. Hopefully when they do do that my Tethering just stops working because I dont want to completely uninstall or remove the root thing or whatever my friend did. I want to install ICS and he said its always best to be rooted but I dont know...I am kind of a weenie :( haha

No problem! They'd probably just send a notice asking you to just pay for tethering and ask you to stop. That's what AT&T is doing anyway. You shouldn't have to remove root as Nexus phones are pretty much made for rooting anyway.

I can't help TOO much on rooting cause I've never done it myself. I am a weenie when it comes to rooting too. :p You are not alone. I'll probably root one day though.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
If you can't even verify if your phone is rooted or not, then how can you know what to be afraid of?

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
No problem! They'd probably just send a notice asking you to just pay for tethering and ask you to stop. That's what AT&T is doing anyway. You shouldn't have to remove root as Nexus phones are pretty much made for rooting anyway.

I can't help TOO much on rooting cause I've never done it myself. I am a weenie when it comes to rooting too. :p You are not alone. I'll probably root one day though.

HAHA :cool:

I have heard stories about rooting and have read stories where supposedly you cant even restore your phone to factory condition ... or the famous term "bricking"

ha

BenjaSands

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
If you can't even verify if your phone is rooted or not, then how can you know what to be afraid of?

Trueee...no cause the other day I saw an app that said "SuperUser" and I was like wtf is that? And I asked my friend and he was like dont touch that!!! haha

I was like oook :-\