Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi Tethering Crashes Data

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
im done trying to help guys, that's all i was intending on doing. i wish you all luck. i wasn't trolling what so ever so im sorry if you felt that way. im like you guys that just wanted a fix and resolution. i have since removed my video and the mods can remove my posts if they feel they should.

i hope you guys find a fix.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I have to wonder how many are like me and not 'officially' reported by sprint as having lodged a complaint. I took it to a store and asked the rep about the issue...and came in here. Do they count me? I would bet it is more widespread than they make it out to be. Not everyone who buys 4g pays attention to this sort of issue believe it or not. Many just want a cool looking phone and won't complain until their calls all get dropped.

maryinredding

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I went into my local Sprint store the other day and I was told that I was the first person complaining about the phone. I was told that they have had people come in because they didn't know how to work the phone but that was it. I really find it hard to believe that nobody in my area is having problems like I am. I told them to be prepared for a mass return when it comes closer to June 7th.

Richard1864

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I have to wonder how many are like me and not 'officially' reported by sprint as having lodged a complaint. I took it to a store and asked the rep about the issue...and came in here. Do they count me? I would bet it is more widespread than they make it out to be. Not everyone who buys 4g pays attention to this sort of issue believe it or not. Many just want a cool looking phone and won't complain until their calls all get dropped.

That may be true in many places, but I don't work that way myself - that isn't fair to customers. I just wish knew the answer to this problem....it is a real bugaboo.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Apparently you people are doing a fine job of bringing this to the attention of everyone. Keep up the god work.

Check it out, (though I'm sure most of you have):
Engadget Investigates: Samsung Nexus S 4G WiMAX performance issues -- Engadget)

Yeah as a entire community, including these sites and members. The attention has been grabbed. This usually happens, i'm glad the trend continues. The EVO got similar treatment when it released and had these issues. You will always find individuals within these companies that are willing to listen, and care. It just takes a good attitude and good information to give them to support the claim.

Reactions: Richard1864

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
That was a great article by Engadget but they didn't cover the wifi issue. For anyone who would like them to test the wifi go to the link below, at the top of the page click on "send us a tip"

Engadget

Reactions: fretless

darealm

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
From the Engadget blog :"That said, the Nexus S 4G's speeds are still commendable for a WiMAX device, falling within the carrier's range of advertised performance (3 to 6Mbps). "

Heck if I were getting the speeds of the device tested in that post I wouldn't even be complaining on this forum. Fact is that i have been unable to get more than 1.5 MB/s on my device on either 4g or 3g. That blog post leads me to conclude that my device might be worse off than even the others out there with reported issues...

darealm

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
From the Engadget blog :"That said, the Nexus S 4G's speeds are still commendable for a WiMAX device, falling within the carrier's range of advertised performance (3 to 6Mbps). "

Heck if I were getting the speeds of the device tested in that post I wouldn't even be complaining on this forum. Fact is that i have been unable to get more than 1.5 MB/s on my device on either 4g or 3g. That blog post leads me to conclude that my device might be worse off than even the others out there with reported issues...

However I should add I'm grateful to engadget for investigating the issue and making it public. And thanks to everyone else who has worked to generate awareness of this

maryinredding

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I just experienced a problem that may make me take this phone back. I cannot receive calls while on wifi. The calls go straight to voicemail. My husband's epic has no problem doing this. And as I recall my Pre could receive calls while on wifi. Is this what you have been saying all along????

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I just experienced a problem that may make me take this phone back. I cannot receive calls while on wifi. The calls go straight to voicemail. My husband's epic has no problem doing this. And as I recall my Pre could receive calls while on wifi. Is this what you have been saying all along????

That's on all CDMA devices, you can not receive any calls during times of data use. That is a CDMA limitation currently on Sprint. It can not use data and voice simultaneous. The same thing happens to me on all my devices. If at any time the phone is using data, all calls go straight to voicemail.

Edit : Oops was thinking of using 3G and being on the call. My mistake. Yeah mine when on Wi-Fi receives the call no problem and i'm able to surf things while on call but only when Wi-Fi is on.

Last edited:

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site

I just tested this on my NS4G. I was web-browsing on my home wifi network and my voice call came straight through.

Are you sure you were on wifi and not on 3G?

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
That's on all CDMA devices, you can not receive any calls during times of data use. That is a CDMA limitation currently on Sprint. It can not use data and voice simultaneous. The same thing happens to me on all my devices. If at any time the phone is using data, all calls go straight to voicemail.

I was just running a speed test on 3G, and my voice call came through in the midst of the test.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

That's a good question about NS4G. On a Pre you can definitely have wifi on and receive a call. I would call Sprint, it's probably in the settings somewhere. Those people are just setting around doing nothing anyway. :D

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah mine will some times interrupt my data session and come right through. Other times i'm not so lucky. AT&T always makes fun of Verizon and Sprint about this. I know especially during a call no data can be used. At least for me this seems to be hit or miss. Many complain that things go straight to voicemail, and I know during that time i'm using heavy data.

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah mine will some times interrupt my data session and come right through. Other times i'm not so lucky. AT&T always makes fun of Verizon and Sprint about this. I know especially during a call no data can be used. At least for me this seems to be hit or miss. Many complain that things go straight to voicemail, and I know during that time i'm using heavy data.

That doesn't jibe with your previous post that CMDA itself prevents simultaneous data and voice sessions.

betachains

May 7, 2011
Visit site
It does, because you can't talk and use data at the same time. I mis-understood the post. I edited that and mentioned it.

CDMA: Why can't CDMA phones transmit or receive data while a voice call is going on? - Quora

Anyways let's not veer off-topic here.

Data/voice simultaneity is phone -dependent to some extent. I believe the new Evo is supposed to support that on 4G. It is on topic to say that the NS4G will receive voice calls whether the phone is on wifi or 3G.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Data/voice simultaneity is phone -dependent to some extent. I believe the new Evo is supposed to support that on 4G. It is on topic to say that the NS4G will receive voice calls whether the phone is on wifi or 3G.

The EVO 3D (and all WIMAX phones) support voice/data at the same time while on WIMAX. Same thing with LTE. They use separate radios. That's why. But that is a topic for another thread.

Keep the thread on topic...not just the edges of the topic.

Reactions: splmonster

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
So I just spoke to a friend of mine who is a Sprint tech. He mentioned a Samsung rep came into the store today to go over some products. He was carrying a Nexus S, and he noticed that it was running a different build then the current one available. He said by putting them side by side it also showed this new build having a much better dBm signal then the one he had. However he did not tell me what the build was. I will keep everyone posted.

Reactions: debh945