Nexus S Has Terrible 4G Radio, Terrible Wifi Radio, and Wifi Tethering Crashes Data

wirelessness#AC

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
To try and not listen to what the bars say, as they are very inaccurate readings.

That is what I am saying, especially since the NS4G reports signal strength bars on a scale from 0-4 vs. 0-6 for most other devices it will almost always report less bars...which doesn't really mean much. The proof is in actual signal strength readings and performance.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
That is what I am saying, especially since the NS4G reports signal strength bars on a scale from 0-4 vs. 0-6 for most other devices it will almost always report less bars...which doesn't really mean much. The proof is in actual signal strength readings and performance.

I'm assuming -96 or -101 dBm are poor readings...? 'cause that's what I am typically getting. Even at 4 bars I usually don't see anything higher than (I believe) -65.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming -96 or -101 dBm are poor readings...? 'cause that's what I am typically getting. Even at 4 bars I usually don't see anything higher than (I believe) -65.

Yes that range is quite high and should be around 1-2 bars, 2 being at best. Do a similar reading with how Wi-Fi works. Use inSSIDer and you will see with Wi-Fi when getting up into the -90 dBm reading it will show about a bar. Again I will be making a full video of 3 devices testing these types of things, and will try and help make other users understand better. That the Nexus is giving a much more accurate reading then just about every other device. For me I always go by dBm reading, not the amount of bars. Cell radios work very similar to how Wi-Fi works. Range, and dBm are determined by the length between the antenna. With cell radios they just have higher gain antenna's and of course much higher transmit power, so that is why they can reach much further distances then say "Wi-Fi" can. Go stand close to a cell tower and that dBm reading will drop dramatically. If of course it's a Sprint tower, or on the roaming list.

Last edited:

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes that range is quite high and should be around 1-2 bars, 2 being at best. Do a similar reading with how Wi-Fi works. Use inSSIDer and you will see with Wi-Fi when getting up into the -90 dBm reading it will show about a bar. Again I will be making a full video of 3 devices testing these types of things, and will try and help make other users understand better. That the Nexus is giving a much more accurate reading then just about every other device. For me I always go by dBm reading, not the amount of bars. Cell radios work very similar to how Wi-Fi works. Range, and dBm are determined by the length between the antenna.

Well, as I stated in the other related thread, my wifi and 4G are my primary concerns. I definitely think the wifi is a REAL problem, something the in-store rep was able to reproduce and could not provide a solution for. 4G as well, since d/l speeds are drastically reduced from an EVO at the exact same location.

mcantu

May 26, 2011
Visit site
signal strength and d/l speeds seem to be two separate issues. i get the exact same d/l speeds whether i have 1 bar or full bars...

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
spl just doesn't seem to want a fix, he thinks people should just suck it up and live with it. it's not about the bars he says, it's not normal for any rom, sense or aosp to go from full strength to 0 bars constantly. that means it's polling for a signal, also the direct source of high battery drain. also... the radio band should NOT be wcdma. i dunno what it's going to take to get it through to some of you.

also slow data and dropped calls, failed txts... the list goes on and on... it's a radio issue plain and simple. sprint and google confirmed this, we just need a fix. i also find it funny that the evo3d which isn't even out yet is getting more attention than this over a locked bootloader.

Last edited:
Reactions: j_grouchy

Jeparisoe

May 11, 2011
Visit site
There is definitely something wrong with the radios on this phone. Even when it says I have good signal it takes about 6 minutes to pull up tiny thumbnails of pictures through facebook, which my pre never had a problem with. Also, just the other day I was trying to download an app and it was downloading at 5KB a second in a good signal 3g area... WTF?

Not sure if this if part of the same issue, but my GPS takes forever to lock on and many times it will just time out and never even find me.

I love the phone, and it works good sometimes, but a lot of times it is very time consuming just trying to look something up that involves data. These are not normal cell tower issues, my friend's EVO downloads all of these things at almost all times lightning fast compared to me and we are both running on 3G....

I agree with Fixxxer, we are not just complaining because the phone isn't what we wanted, we are complaining because the phone hardly works like it should half the time.

Reactions: fixxxer1022

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
There is definitely something wrong with the radios on this phone. Even when it says I have good signal it takes about 6 minutes to pull up tiny thumbnails of pictures through facebook, which my pre never had a problem with. Also, just the other day I was trying to download an app and it was downloading at 5KB a second in a good signal 3g area... WTF?

Not sure if this if part of the same issue, but my GPS takes forever to lock on and many times it will just time out and never even find me.

I love the phone, and it works good sometimes, but a lot of times it is very time consuming just trying to look something up that involves data. These are not normal cell tower issues, my friend's EVO downloads all of these things at almost all times lightning fast compared to me and we are both running on 3G....

I agree with Fixxxer, we are not just complaining because the phone isn't what we wanted, we are complaining because the phone hardly works like it should half the time.

great post, i agree. im not trolling or whatever spl says im doing. i love the phone but it needs to be fixed. if the companies would acknowledge the issues maybe we would stop complaining. our 30 day window is slowly closing in.

ftrengineer

May 11, 2011
Visit site
A few of the negative reviews are starting to pop up on Sprint.com. If you still own the phone please submit a review to let everyone know how this phone really performs.

Login---> My Sprint---> My Device and Media.

Reactions: fixxxer1022

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
A few of the negative reviews are starting to pop up on Sprint.com. If you still own the phone please submit a review to let everyone know how this phone really performs.

Login---> My Sprint---> My Device and Media.

the issues are sprint and samsung are removing the negative posts. some feel it may be a hardware issue and they do not want to issue a statement or recall. myself i think it's all the radio here. ill be posting a youtube video on the phone and the issues tonight or tomorrow. might be educational to a few on here.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
our 30 day window is slowly closing in.

This is the kicker for me. If it's a hardware issue, then to me it seems a recall is in order (though not likely). If it's a firmware/software/driver issue, I'd like some statement from someone...ANYONE...confirming the problem and telling us when to expect a fix.

As it is, Sprint's 30 day window is not an opportunity to try out every device they offer. It's a one-time deal at each upgrade point. Each upgrade means money out of pocket and a new commitment of time to Sprint. Me, I can't just send the damn thing back and wait for the Evo 3D...I don't have anything to cover the gap...so I'd be out whatever it would cost to buy something to 'fill the gap'.

I realize they're holding their cards close right now, but at least publicly acknowledging the issue would go a long way with many of us. I might just be willing to hold out past my 30 days even without an update or a definite fix if I knew they actually were putting forth a real effort to resolve it.

They need to get out in front of this...Sprint, Google, Samsung...whoever. I don't care. Someone step up, please.

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
This is the kicker for me. If it's a hardware issue, then to me it seems a recall is in order (though not likely). If it's a firmware/software/driver issue, I'd like some statement from someone...ANYONE...confirming the problem and telling us when to expect a fix.

As it is, Sprint's 30 day window is not an opportunity to try out every device they offer. It's a one-time deal at each upgrade point. Each upgrade means money out of pocket and a new commitment of time to Sprint. Me, I can't just send the damn thing back and wait for the Evo 3D...I don't have anything to cover the gap...so I'd be out whatever it would cost to buy something to 'fill the gap'.

I realize they're holding their cards close right now, but at least publicly acknowledging the issue would go a long way with many of us. I might just be willing to hold out past my 30 days even without an update or a definite fix if I knew they actually were putting forth a real effort to resolve it.

They need to get out in front of this...Sprint, Google, Samsung...whoever. I don't care. Someone step up, please.

what kills me is htc responded right away to the angry users of the evo3d and the locked bootloader issue. and that phone isn't even out yet. seems the rumors about samsung are true, their slow. if this is in fact hardware, im not sure whats going to happen, i doubt a recall.

RBrown9180

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed these same problems with my epic. My wife has an evo and she doesnt have any of the issues I have. Seems to be more of a samsung issue than sprint issue possibly. I was interested in the nexus but now it makes me think I should wait for the evo 3d

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed these same problems with my epic. My wife has an evo and she doesnt have any of the issues I have. Seems to be more of a samsung issue than sprint issue possibly. I was interested in the nexus but now it makes me think I should wait for the evo 3d

as long as you know the 3d will be locked down. i owned the epic for awhile and i had zero signal or battery issues.

i just got off the phone with my local sprint tech center and they are very aware of the radio issues. he told me sprint is working with samsung on a fix. we shall see.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
YouTube - ‪Nexus S 4G Signal Issues‬‏

heres a youtube video i made with my thoughts on the issues we are having. feel free to repost where ever you wish. hopefully android central will consider posting it as well.

In what part of that video was any of it helpful? You did not do any testing, or specific radio testing. You didn't do any side by sides with other devices. If you really want to make your case, you must give specifics and not give a poor excuse for having a bad camera. That camera is more then capable of showing specific testing. You continue to claim that nobody is seeing this. Yet you fail to realize that so many big name sites have posted a front page article about it. Some Sprint techs have acknowledged it, the official topic in the Google forums shows a Google employee acknowledging it. Then you have emails from Samsung also saying they are aware of this issue. What more do you want to be done? The EVO suffered the exact same issues for two straight months, and HTC and Sprint never released any press on it. It took them that long to release a update that ended up fixing the problem. So don't be posting in the Sprint Community and bad mouthing Android Central and saying that these guys don't support HTC devices, that we aren't Pro-HTC. They are Pro-Android, no matter the maker.

I feel you have become a complete buzz killer to this forum, and many others. A lot have agreed and you have been told by Cory the admin to just tone it down. You still yet to have done that. We understand a lot of people are having issues. Nobody is trying to disprove you, or any of your so-called findings. Your taking to much offense to the topic itself. Just remember that you should be aware that this is still a new device that hasn't even been out a month. Take that into consideration.

Do some testing, and try to see if changing anything will fix the issue and share your information here. Stop bad mouthing everyone, and pointing your finger.

This was what you wrote in the Sprint forum.

"and i care why? link what you will, im right about it. i could care a less if android central banned me tbh. funny how all the attention goes on a locked bootloader from the evo3d which isn't even released yet. even made the front page of android central. i can tell they are pro htc there.

im glad your phone is fine, ours is not. we want a fix, plain and simple. go try and tell the evo3d users to stop flooding the forums or petioning for an unlock... yeah i thought not!"

Personally I don't see why you need to bad mouth these guys here at Android Central. They are all good guys, and provide some of the best experience on the web for this. Again do your research.. It did make the front page at one time.

http://www.androidcentral.com/are-you-having-radio-issues-your-nexus-s-4g-poll

Last edited:

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
In what part of that video was any of it helpful? You did not do any testing, or specific radio testing. You didn't do any side by sides with other devices. If you really want to make your case, you must give specifics and not give a poor excuse for having a bad camera. That camera is more then capable of showing specific testing. You continue to claim that nobody is seeing this. Yet you fail to realize that so many big name sites have posted a front page article about it. Some Sprint techs have acknowledged it, the official topic in the Google forums shows a Google employee acknowledging it. Then you have emails from Samsung also saying they are aware of this issue. What more do you want to be done? The EVO suffered the exact same issues for two straight months, and HTC and Sprint never released any press on it. It took them that long to release a update that ended up fixing the problem. So don't be posting in the Sprint Community and bad mouthing Android Central and saying that these guys don't support HTC devices, that we aren't Pro-HTC. They are Pro-Android, no matter the maker.

I feel you have become a complete buzz killer to this forum, and many others. A lot have agreed and you have been told by Cory the admin to just tone it down. You still yet to have done that. We understand a lot of people are having issues. Nobody is trying to disprove you, or any of your so-called findings. Your taking to much offense to the topic itself. Just remember that you should be aware that this is still a new device that hasn't even been out a month. Take that into consideration.

Do some testing, and try to see if changing anything will fix the issue and share your information here. Stop bad mouthing everyone, and pointing your finger.

you follow me around like a lost puppy. if you want a side by side ill post another video with my wife's blackberry as i have no other phone to test with. im glad your the only one with no issues but people demand answers. not wait for months on end for samsung to to anything. at least the 3d users got a respond the same day. if anything your just trying to tell people to suck it up and deal. you offer nothing helpful. im about the only one to make a video about it, if i have to take the heat i will.

i have no other idea what you want me to show you. i think enough people are reporting this already.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
you follow me around like a lost puppy. if you want a side by side ill post another video with my wife's blackberry as i have no other phone to test with. im glad your the only one with no issues but people demand answers. not wait for months on end for samsung to to anything. at least the 3d users got a respond the same day. if anything your just trying to tell people to suck it up and deal. you offer nothing helpful. im about the only one to make a video about it, if i have to take the heat i will.

i have no other idea what you want me to show you. i think enough people are reporting this already.

Side by sides with other Android devices. Preferably vanilla ones.. Reason? Well I got a Optimus S and the Nexus S both giving exactly the same readings in signal. Both in dBm and in bars. Again.. Nobody is trying to make you out to be a fool. Still you need to not be such a buzz killer. If you can't understand that.. Well then I guess we have nothing to argue about anymore. I won't waste my time on this. I'm a member in all those forums, and when I see your name constantly popping up, that is considered a flood.

Also just remember that HTC had been catching grief long before this month about changing to locked bootloaders. The EVO 3D has nothing to do with it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19