Serendipity 7 bricked my phone....really bad...

AceOptimus

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I have successfully installed ROMs before but this is new.

I installed Serendipity 7 and when I opened the camera app all of these weird multicolored lines appeared. They also appeared on the boot screen and when I tried to watch a youtube video. They even came over the recovery screen!

I managed to use ROM manager to install clockwork mod, at least, a different version, hoping it would fix it. It barely managed to work. The words were small and had multi colored lines on them but I could actually see what was going on enough to re-install. It did not work.

Then I went back and decided that it might be the kernel and installed ursa miner (which was the only one I happened to have on the phone at the time) Now ursa minor gets stuck and I cant get passed its loading screen. I cant get to recovery or download mode. Believe me I have tried. A LOT. I have looked up stuff on forums to fix it but everyone always say you need to get to download mode for it to work! I suppose it also doesn't help that I have a bunch of data on the phone I wish to save and not delete.... including the titanium backup I made...

At this point I have done all I know how to do, and help from some of you veterans would be most appreciated.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I have successfully installed ROMs before but this is new.

I installed Serendipity 7 and when I opened the camera app all of these weird multicolored lines appeared. They also appeared on the boot screen and when I tried to watch a youtube video. They even came over the recovery screen!

I managed to use ROM manager to install clockwork mod, at least, a different version, hoping it would fix it. It barely managed to work. The words were small and had multi colored lines on them but I could actually see what was going on enough to re-install. It did not work.

Then I went back and decided that it might be the kernel and installed ursa miner (which was the only one I happened to have on the phone at the time) Now ursa minor gets stuck and I cant get passed its loading screen. I cant get to recovery or download mode. Believe me I have tried. A LOT. I have looked up stuff on forums to fix it but everyone always say you need to get to download mode for it to work! I suppose it also doesn't help that I have a bunch of data on the phone I wish to save and not delete.... including the titanium backup I made...

At this point I have done all I know how to do, and help from some of you veterans would be most appreciated.

You need a JIG. I'd give you the kink but I'm on my phone, but search "unbrick captivate without cutting USB" and you should find instructions for making a cheap jig. Get into download mode, flash a Gingerbread kernel (I think ursa minor is Froyo) and flash it using Odin, and you should be good to go, data and all.

Sent from my Captivate

AceOptimus

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
You need a JIG. I'd give you the kink but I'm on my phone, but search "unbrick captivate without cutting USB" and you should find instructions for making a cheap jig. Get into download mode, flash a Gingerbread kernel (I think ursa minor is Froyo) and flash it using Odin, and you should be good to go, data and all.

Sent from my Captivate

here ya go

[FIX] Unbrick captivate w/o cutting up USB! - xda-developers

but for the record, i ended up having to cut a usb cable because i couldn't hit the pins....

Thanks a ton guys. I ended up going with the usb strip method. It worked but when I flashed the kernel it still does the same thing ursa major did. But now that I can put my phone into download mode is there any way to save my data then just wipe the phone and start over?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a ton guys. I ended up going with the usb strip method. It worked but when I flashed the kernel it still does the same thing ursa major did. But now that I can put my phone into download mode is there any way to save my data then just wipe the phone and start over?

Not unless you can get the ROM to boot.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Flash one of the one-clicks, since you can get to DL mode. May want to go ahead and do the KF1 one-click for Captivate specific 2.3.3. Once you get booting again, you can flash whatever.

AznAznAzn112

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Man i ran into that same problem with the very first gingerbread rom that came out for the cappy. So how i fixed mine was that i flashed WITH odin back to factory default cappy. im talking about 2.1. then i just flashed over to a gingerbread stock or the 1900 series. Than once you have done that ( your home key will be your back button for the moment) root your phone. Like i used this app called gingerbreak. Then install all the basics like CWM and busybox BLAH BLAH BLAH and then flash your custom rom. Then you will never see that problem ever again until a new android firmware is leaked LMFAO

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Me2s