Keep it or not

anon(522161)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

Coming from Nexus One here. FTR, not interested in Nexus Prime due to large screen size. So, trying to decide if I should keep my new Galaxy SII or not, which I got on the release day. A few issues & annoyances I ran into I'd appreciate some comments on:

1. Screen unlock delay of approximately 1-2 seconds. It's extremely annoying, especially when on the call and ending it or need to mute the phone for instance.

2. My Nexus One started having power button issues slowly, which over time turned into non-responsive power button. Ended up sending it in for repair eventually. Had Galaxy S2 lock up on me where all soft keys were unresponsive. Had to do a battery pull ala BB. Battery was drained some it seemed. This issue is apparently known as "sleep of death". If this is something that gonna escalate in the future I'd rather katch it now.

3. Battery life is "meh" imho. Somehow I thought it was gonna be spectacular but that's the only case if I don't use the phone (why get it in the 1st place then). Moderate at best browsing, email and some IM gets me through the day but that's about it. I expected better honestly.

4. Kind of missing notification light but not much can be done there (don't care about NoLed app).

Could any of these issues be address or improved upon? I'm concerned about #2 and hoping #1 and #3 could be helped to make it better. None of it is a deal breaker but all together makes me wonder if I should keep the phone or not. Thought?

Thanks in advance.

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
your annoyed at a 1 second delay..it seems like your nit picking
the 1 second delay is to save your battery by down clocking

the battery is ok with me, my first smart phone and so i expected bad
sometimes im fine sometimes it drains fast, i don't see how any other phone will improve on that

i too wanted a notificaftion light, but am more than satisfied with NoLed

its really no difference than a real one imo

0n3_kn0WN

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The screen unlock delay seems odd, mine doesnt do that, overall the phone is fast!!! havent noticed lag almost at all. U still got a couple weeks to decide... I havent had many issues with the phone, are you running alternate launchers or custom roms?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sleep of death is rare.

I have no lag when unlocking.

What's your battery life like? Compared to other android phones it's been better than I expected.

Sent from my SGS II

anon(522161)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
your annoyed at a 1 second delay..it seems like your nit picking
the 1 second delay is to save your battery by down clocking

It's not that bad when unlocking it to check messages etc but when on the call and you need to reply for instance, unlock 1-2 secs lag appears to be a lot more noticeable. Supposedly a known problem / feature to save energy. I think it could've been made smarter to not kicking in right away or when in certain modes, like on the phone for one.

Sleep of death is rare.

I ran into that 2 days after getting the phone. Haven't happened since. Don't know if this is a problem that tends to come back or not.

I have no lag when unlocking.

That's surprising as it's supposedly designed to scale down CPU clock to save the battery. So, I wonder if you do have one and just don't notice it. Or, perhaps, some phones are better than the others.

What's your battery life like?

From full charge at night I get up with about 95% left. I use an excellent app called Timeriffic to automatically put it in to airplane mode for the night. I browse infrequently, get emails from time to time, get texts from my wife. I also spend reading news may be 20 mins at best. It's down in 40s by the end of the day. This is not much better than my older Nexus One with inferior and a year and a half old battery. So, that's why I think battery is so so on this phone.

Thanks for all the replies.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not that bad when unlocking it to check messages etc but when on the call and you need to reply for instance, unlock 1-2 secs lag appears to be a lot more noticeable. Supposedly a known problem / feature to save energy. I think it could've been made smarter to not kicking in right away or when in certain modes, like on the phone for one.

I ran into that 2 days after getting the phone. Haven't happened since. Don't know if this is a problem that tends to come back or not.

That's surprising as it's supposedly designed to scale down CPU clock to save the battery. So, I wonder if you do have one and just don't notice it. Or, perhaps, some phones are better than the others.

From full charge at night I get up with about 95% left. I use an excellent app called Timeriffic to automatically put it in to airplane mode for the night. I browse infrequently, get emails from time to time, get texts from my wife. I also spend reading news may be 20 mins at best. It's down in 40s by the end of the day. This is not much better than my older Nexus One with inferior and a year and a half old battery. So, that's why I think battery is so so on this phone.

Thanks for all the replies.

That's excellent battery life. Think about how much more capable the hardware is, and the bigger screen accounts for some of that.

I've never experienced the sleep of death on the sgsii.

Sent from my SGS II

anon(522161)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Just read on another site their is a firmware update that addresses your concerns. Build I777UCKJ1

Thanks, saw that post too. I'd say it addresses *some* of my concerns. Some of the fix desciptions are open to interpretation imho.

With my running into "sleep of death" issue, would anyone of you consider exchanging it for another unit? Just wondering.

pairenoid

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
i dont know about your sleep of death, but i had 2 occasions where my phone froze and i had to shut down in order for it to be responsive

i dont feel its a hardware problem, more of a software thing, in which can be fixed via updates

its not like your computer NEVER crashed before, or your xbox NEVER froze

:)

anon(522161)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
My new phone froze on me in the middle of using some app. Couldn't even use power button to shut it off. Had to do a batter pull.

Don't know, still on the fence about it. I don't see anything better coming out on AT&T in the near term and don't feel like going back to Nexus One. May be Atrix 2 but I feel GSII is a superior phone.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'd swap it out for a new one if mine did that. You're not paying for a broken phone. Why risk it getting worse over time. I haven't experienced any issues with mine, though I only picked it up last week. Still, if it were me and it wasn't going to cost me anything, I'd swap it out.

anon(522161)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd swap it out for a new one if mine did that. You're not paying for a broken phone. Why risk it getting worse over time. I haven't experienced any issues with mine, though I only picked it up last week. Still, if it were me and it wasn't going to cost me anything, I'd swap it out.

Yep... swapped it earlier today. Was kind of weird though. Guy was finishing up the paper work, I pick up the phone which I tested about 5 mins ago - it's completely powered down. I power it up again and decide to test it, walk around the store and it's powered down again after a couple of minutes. He suggests swapping out the battery with my old one and that fixed it. 1st battery showed more than 50%of juice left so that was odd.

Of course, I get home and start charging it just to notice that a couple of pins on the battery cover are broken. Must've been him putting the battery in. Crap. :( Will have to stop by tomorrow to swap it out with my old phone, which they luckily haven't sent back yet.

All in all, and after using it for a month, I like it and I'm keeping it. :) This is coming from a former Nexus One owner, so I tend to think I'm on the picky side.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress