Inspire or the ATT Nexus S?

JoshuaExline

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I admit to still being very much a noob to the in's and out's of Android (even though I've been using the Inspire since the day it dropped after about 5 years of using a Blackberry) so if this seems like a silly or 'noob-ish' question now you know why ;)

Anyway, reading about the release of an ATT Nexus S via Best Buy I'm really intrigued by the phone (Gingerbread and a front facing camera being BIG selling points for me 'on paper') and now I'm trying to decide if it's worth fighting with ATT to try and get that to replace my Inspire (I have a bit of an open ended thing right now with AT&T due to some issues I've had with my Inspire and could probably get the phone for, at worst, the upgrade cost)

So, anyway, I'm looking for some input from you guys and gals who are more knowledgeable about such things. Is the 'upgrades' of the Nexus on paper over the Inspire (Gingerbread, Front Facing camera, etc) worth the trade off to not have "4G" and the other positives the Inspire has?

Of course...if anyone here knows if the battery life on the Nexus is better than the Inspire i'd like to know that too; because the piss poor battery life has been one of my biggest issues with the Inspire.

Thanks. Sorry for the long-ish post.

Shamanic Enzan

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The fact the Nexus is updated straight from Google is a plus. Gingerbread just has a lot of power/task management improvements for the the most part though. The front facing camera is a personal preference, the big add-on for the Nexus is the Near Field Communication support, which if you plan on using it....well get the Nexus.

The battery is supposed to be better on the Nexus but not by much. Also the Nexus is made of plastic while the Inspire is built like a TANK. Along with HTC Sense I find the Inspire to be better overall, but if you have to have those upgrades go for the Nexus.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I can say the Nexus is very well built also. For some reason people seem to equate its lack of weight to cheaply built. Its not. The Nexus is FAST. Just as fast as the dual core phones in every day usage

repligator

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Samsung and htc are imo the top two android manufacturers. My friend has the Samsung galaxy s and it is just a great product.

The only thing I can truly knock htc on is quality control. Samsung appears to be second only to apple in that department.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I actually have both. The nexus s ( on sprint though) and the inspire. Both are great devices. But if I didn't already have the nexus for my personal phone, I would get it in place of my inspire.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Shamanic Enzan

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I actually have both. The nexus s ( on sprint though) and the inspire. Both are great devices. But if I didn't already have the nexus for my personal phone, I would get it in place of my inspire.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

I'm interested in hearing your thinking, seeing as you've actually have both. If you're willing to share of course.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung and htc are imo the top two android manufacturers. My friend has the Samsung galaxy s and it is just a great product.

The only thing I can truly knock htc on is quality control. Samsung appears to be second only to apple in that department.

Absolutely right on the QC of HTC. More and more people are starting to see that

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested in hearing your thinking, seeing as you've actually have both. If you're willing to share of course.

Actually most of my reasons are to onea you already mentioned in your previous post. The straight updates from google, no bloatware, better battery and what not. I just personally would get bored if I had two of the same phone.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I want to see what all of the Nexus S hype is about and plan on stopping by Best Buy to see what the best price I can get for a non contract purchase would be.. I am also curious to see if a 3G Nexus is as fast as my 4g Inspire?

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I had the nexus s before the Inspire. The power button broke on me, it just stopped working one day. I love my Inspire now.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

bhayden25

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Really it comes down to personal preference. If you want the true unadulterated Google experience then by all means go for the Nexus S. Also the SAMOLED+ screen is a plus too. But beware that you cannot expand the memory you are limited to 16gb. My problem with Samsung is that they use too much plastic. The Inspire is a tank and that is why i want another HTC device whenever i get rid of my inspire they use quality materials. Also it Sense which has to be the best Custom UI for Android. When i had my Cappy i wanted a pure Google experience. But once i played with Sense i loved it

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Really it comes down to personal preference. If you want the true unadulterated Google experience then by all means go for the Nexus S. Also the SAMOLED+ screen is a plus too. But beware that you cannot expand the memory you are limited to 16gb. My problem with Samsung is that they use too much plastic. The Inspire is a tank and that is why i want another HTC device whenever i get rid of my inspire they use quality materials. Also it Sense which has to be the best Custom UI for Android. When i had my Cappy i wanted a pure Google experience. But once i played with Sense i loved it

I used to agree about HTC build quality. Realistically, its's not that good anymore. The Nexus may be all plastic, but its's solid. Hell, most phones are all plastic
Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

cpip2009

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I admit to still being very much a noob to the in's and out's of Android (even though I've been using the Inspire since the day it dropped after about 5 years of using a Blackberry) so if this seems like a silly or 'noob-ish' question now you know why ;)

Anyway, reading about the release of an ATT Nexus S via Best Buy I'm really intrigued by the phone (Gingerbread and a front facing camera being BIG selling points for me 'on paper') and now I'm trying to decide if it's worth fighting with ATT to try and get that to replace my Inspire (I have a bit of an open ended thing right now with AT&T due to some issues I've had with my Inspire and could probably get the phone for, at worst, the upgrade cost)

So, anyway, I'm looking for some input from you guys and gals who are more knowledgeable about such things. Is the 'upgrades' of the Nexus on paper over the Inspire (Gingerbread, Front Facing camera, etc) worth the trade off to not have "4G" and the other positives the Inspire has?

Of course...if anyone here knows if the battery life on the Nexus is better than the Inspire i'd like to know that too; because the piss poor battery life has been one of my biggest issues with the Inspire.

Thanks. Sorry for the long-ish post.

I was with Sprint and had an Evo. Been with AT&T for a few months now with the Inspire and love everything about it except for the battery life and bluetooth voice dialing - voice quality over bluetooth is perfect, it's just the voice dial feature that's aweful.

BTW, I was able to locate an 1800 mAh battery on eBay (the battery that comes with the phone is 1250 mAh so this is a significant increase).

There is a definite distinction in the build of an HTC device and the Inspire is definitely a quality device. I almost got the Samsung Infuse, but I love the Sense UI so much that I couldn't part with it - once you get used to it it's hard to do without.

As far as Gingerbread, AT&T is pushing it out to all devices released this year: http://www.androidcentral.com/att-bringing-gingerbread-every-postpaid-android-phone-released-year

The Inspire is slated for August and I'm looking forward to it.

And the front facing camera? It's a novel concept, and probably useful, if you have friends and/or family who have the same feature and actually use it, but for me it's little more than a perk. I never used it once.

Last edited: