Installed 8GB microSD Card ~ Class ? ~ upgrade? ~ Opinions?

Art1138

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I am about to get two Inspires "4G" and grandfather my unlimited data plan to both phones on AT&T's family plan. (Wanting a good AT&T deal for two more years.) I was wondering if it is worth upgrading the 8GB SD card. What class is it? I'm guessing 2 and not 4 or 8. Is class 2 satisfactory with the GB Snapdragon processor? Is 8GB memory enough or is it worth it to get 16GB or 32GB?

My current usage is primarily:
1) music-- lots of streaming (YourMuze) AND loading my own albums on the phone. (Wish the battery gods would send us a week long battery!)

2) surfing with some videos (news and YouTube)

But might download some vids or movies.

I've not been a big game player but realizing that some amazing phones were on the horizon I kept my unlimited data plans so I might start.

--------------------------------------------------------------

So, stick with the 8GB SD or get a bigger one out the gate?
Any issues with class 2? (Does that mostly affect writing speed for big downloads like movies?)
IF a bigger SD card is purchased later, how does one transfer data?

What's been Inspire users experiences & needs with 8GB microSD Cards?
THANKS Everyone!!! :cool:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(Yesterday, a local store AT&T rep told me since the March Madness will be in Houston, AT&T wants their (enhanced?? doubtfull... not yet) backbone to shine here... we'll see. He also thought that a firmware would make Inspire LTE capable but I've read the exact opposite.:confused: They hem & haw a lot when asked specific network questions. I just hope AT&T gives us the 3GPP Release *6* firmware update. Is AT&T Disabling HSUPA on its 3G/4G Devices? [UPDATED TWICE] )

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
If you want a lot more music and videos on board, I would suggest getting a 32.

My Inspire came with an 8GB Class 4 SanDisk microSD card. You can pick one up from the Android Central Store. I ordered one with the MobileMate USB card reader for $40 Friday. It is also an 8GB Class 4 SanDisk microSD.

Reactions: Art1138

Art1138

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So ZeroRilix to clarify,
your Inspire came with a *class 4 8GB* SanDisk microSD card? OR you ordered one?

do you know how one would transfer from one microSD card to another? folders on a PC?

Thanks!!

awtryau89

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine came with an 8G CLass 4 as well. Its a SanDisk.

I have had 2 Inspires. I returned the first for an Atrix. I hated it and now I am back to the Inspire. My first Inspire from launch day had a Samsung Class 2. I tested it and it did not perform well on speed tests. My 2nd Inspire from yesterday had the SanDisk Class 4. It performed better than my Transcend Class 6 in the speed tests. I am using it now.

I am thinking about going to a 16G but I am not sure. I have never used all 16G on any iPhone and have about 3G left on this 8G. If I start running out of space, thats when I will go for it.

As for the OP. If you need the space for just music, photos and videos, I would not worry too much about the Class. I would spend a bit extra for the SanDisk. I have a Class 2 SanDisk and it performs just about on par with most other mfgs Class 4-6 pieces. If you are going to run CM7 and want to have Apps2SD, thats a different story. You need quality and speed. Do not skimp.

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
So ZeroRilix to clarify,
your Inspire came with a *class 4 8GB* SanDisk microSD card? OR you ordered one?

do you know how one would transfer from one microSD card to another? folders on a PC?

Thanks!!

Yes, that is what it came with. I also ordered one which, until I got the phone Saturday, I did not know matched. So, I will have 2 of the same type tomorrow. I'm not too positive about transfering data. Another member should be able to answer that question for us.

Lefty2004

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Just hook up your Inspire via USB and select to mount as Disk Drive. Windows will then recognize it as a removable drive. Open the drive via your My Computer screen and copy everything on the disk to a folder on your hard drive. I recommend having a microSD card reader so you can just plug the new card into a usb port and format it before use. Be sure to unselect "quick format" or the format may fail.

Once formatted, Copy the contents of your original microSD card and paste onto the new card. Used the eject command to safely unmount the new card from windows. Power off your Inspire and swap the cards. Done.

Yes, that is what it came with. I also ordered one which, until I got the phone Saturday, I did not know matched. So, I will have 2 of the same type tomorrow. I'm not too positive about transfering data. Another member should be able to answer that question for us.

Art1138

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey ZeroRilix and awtryau89,
You wrote your Inspire came with an 8G Class 4 SanDisk microSD card. I just ordered two Inspires from AT&T and I asked what class microSD cards would be in the phone. My salesperson had no idea and said it was up to HTC. She offered to call HTC and when she returned from calling HTC she said she was told it was AT&T (not HTC) who put in the microSD cards. She asked her manager and she did not know either but she had her own two week old Inspire. The manager looked at her card and said it was a Samsung class 2.

Where did you get your Inspire from?

Any AT&T people reading this want to comment? I really think this phone's minimum needs are a class 4. I know I can buy a better microSD card but don't want to spend the money right now.

Thanks everyone!!!

awtryau89

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey ZeroRilix and awtryau89,
You wrote your Inspire came with an 8G Class 4 SanDisk microSD card. I just ordered two Inspires from AT&T and I asked what class microSD cards would be in the phone. My salesperson had no idea and said it was up to HTC. She offered to call HTC and when she returned from calling HTC she said she was told it was AT&T (not HTC) who put in the microSD cards. She asked her manager and she did not know either but she had her own two week old Inspire. The manager looked at her card and said it was a Samsung class 2.

Where did you get your Inspire from?

Any AT&T people reading this want to comment? I really think this phone's minimum needs are a class 4. I know I can buy a better microSD card but don't want to spend the money right now.

Thanks everyone!!!

My first phone came from Radio Shack. It had the Samsung class 2. My 2nd phone came from a COR store. It had the Sandisk class 4.

13#AC

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I am new here and this is my first post. However, I have two Inspires waiting at home for me. I ordered them from AT&T on the phone. I will check the SD's when I get home. Looking forward to opening the boxes! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress