Custom Kernel Enabling To Run CM7 & more(UPDATE:OVERCLOCKING FIX)

joban

Banned
Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
yup I did it! I created a custom kernel for our phone, so you can flash any p500 rom you like and then flash the kernel on top. I got Mik's CM7 running on 2.3.7 and I must say things are amazingly fast compared to stock! No lag, you can finally play Angry Birds without any sort of lag now! I fixed many other things including the touchscreen problem and others. But I dont have wifi and overclocking working yet, but will work for sure in the next build. I will release if there is a high demand for it and after I get overclocking working. :)

EDIT: THREAD MOVED TO http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-lg-thrive/127858-jobans-kernel-2-02-overclock-cm7-3-5-7-etc.html

Last edited:

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Custom Kernel Enabling To Run CM7 and more

Wifi is a must for me. I have limited data plan. Plus I use the wifi tether for root app. Overclocking would be nice. Anyway you would list the specs? Ie, what apps come withit, what you got rid of, the perks?
By the way great job. Thanks so very much.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site

I will release if there is a high demand for it

Trust me there is a high enough demand for it. Will your kernel work for the phoenix as well of just the Thrive? I have been waiting impatiently to get gingerbread on my phoenix since about a week after it hit the market.

Also once you get wifi and overclocking working can you do a write up telling step by step how to get CM7 working with your ROM. I for one know nothing about installing custom ROM's

Good work and many thanks for your efforts!!!

joban

Banned
Dec 25, 2010
Visit site

Mine kernel is based on the LG505 aka Phoenix, but will work just as fine on the Thrive since they share almost the same kernel. Also I got the overclocking to work up to 864MHz. I run it at 768MHZ which flys! And yea i will fix the wifi for sure, because I dont have unlimited data either.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Custom Kernel Enabling To Run CM7 & more(UPDATE:OVERCLOCKING

i'd definitely be interested in this! hopefully you can get wifi working

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Joban.... you are offically my hero, my Pheonix has longed to run a custom mod from the moment it came into my hands. Any idea how it does with video playback on flash or netflixs when its overclocked?

joban

Banned
Dec 25, 2010
Visit site

I have taken some screenshots for you all to witness so im not just making it all up! :)
screenshot1318625480390.png

screenshot1318625687935.png

screenshot1318553519153.png

ahaha thanks man! yeaa i have to have to get wifi to work, and im working my hardest to fix that! Umm i dont have netflix so i didnt try that, but youtube was smooth as it can get. Im about to run a Quadrant test, so it would be kind of you guys can run it on your stock roms as well! So we can compare it!

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

you teach me what you want me to do for you and i will do it. ill do anything to help.

IM SOO EXCITED!!!!!

i have the andriod sdk manager, eclipse, all the downloads for the sdk manager, the adt pugin for ecipse. still learning them, started playing and learning just over a month ago. still very green and noobish....

what recovery is compatible with the phoenix. i have TTbackup, es file explorer and manager. anything else i should get?

edit
my quadrant was 455:*(

Last edited:

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Just did the Quadrant on mine and got a whopping 430 its running 2.2.2 stock, rooted with gingerbreak, if that matters.

joban

Banned
Dec 25, 2010
Visit site

yea same here i never got over 400 but now its at like 1300 so huge improvement!

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site

If you run the CPU at 600MHZ how much of an improvement do you see running 2.3.7 vs 2.2.2?

joban

Banned
Dec 25, 2010
Visit site

without overclocking at 600MHz my score was still at 1130 and mostly over 1000! and very fast! i was still able to play angry birds lag free so CM7 at 2.3.7 makes a huge difference and i also seen a huge improvement in battery as well.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Thats great I wasn't real keen on overclocking my handset quite yet. But thats still a 2x or more boost in performance just changing out the OS. Is this because of gingerbread or because its the CM7 ROM? Also, you realize thanx to you I am not itching like crazy to get it on my phone, I hope the WiFi fix goes well.

joban

Banned
Dec 25, 2010
Visit site

Thats great I wasn't real keen on overclocking my handset quite yet. But thats still a 2x or more boost in performance just changing out the OS. Is this because of gingerbread or because its the CM7 ROM? Also, you realize thanx to you I am not itching like crazy to get it on my phone, I hope the WiFi fix goes well.

yea CM7 is like a slim, lightweight rom and runs much better than stock, which does make a big improvement from the lg crap! and also i made other changes in the kernel to run smoother and fast as well so kernel unlocks your phones true potential. And if you really want the kernel, i can let you try it but the wifi wont work.

kingv10

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

Yes! Dude, you are the greatest, I will flash this as soon as you get the WiFi working. I know a lot of thrive owners who will really appreciate your hard work, thanks a ton.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site

I'm totally for installing as soon as the wifi works. but Im on limited bandwidth and really need the wifi. Heck I would even help work on the wifi issue if I had any idea even how to go about flashing my phone with a new ROM to start with. I think I'm best of just waiting.

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

i am so jacked... this is going to rock. is clockwork recovery supported for this phone?

joban

Banned
Dec 25, 2010
Visit site

ahah soo whos willing to give me 50 bucks to release the kernel? :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non