Dump the EVO for the "S"

JOHNGAETANO

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm a phone junkie, and am just wondering if the Nexus S is worth dumping my EVO for.? I love the screen of the S, and the fact the phone has gingerbread

WhitePhone

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It's your choice with the hardware preference. But it would be foolish to leave the best carrier for the worst. (I said best service because Sprint's service is just as good as Verizon's except Sprint is a good value for your money.) Also, i'm sure the EVO will have gingerbread sometime soon. It's not that old. Besides there really isn't anything that new and great in gingerbread anyway.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Saying it is the worst isn't necessarily true. It really depends on your location. Where I live, ATT is TERRIBLE and in fact I am leaving ATT for the Nexus S (its that bad). Here, T-Mobile actually has more towers and better coverage and Verizon comes in second. From what I gather Sprint coverage is spotty here. Sure T-Mobile has fewer subscribers but they have the best CS around, and they are quickly coming up amongst the others.

As for the OP, Its your choice really. See above. If coverage might be better then go for it. My co-worker has an EVO and likes it but complains about the battery life all the time. He totes around an extra battery because he cant make it through a day and that is why normal use. Granted I carry an extra battery around too but that is because I am a phone whore and use the thing non stop. Average use I would not need to.

JoseN305

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
What do you want from gingerbread? A green battery signal? You have a great phone on the best unlimited plan available.

WhitePhone

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Saying it is the worst isn't necessarily true. It really depends on your location. Where I live, ATT is TERRIBLE and in fact I am leaving ATT for the Nexus S (its that bad). Here, T-Mobile actually has more towers and better coverage and Verizon comes in second. From what I gather Sprint coverage is spotty here. Sure T-Mobile has fewer subscribers but they have the best CS around, and they are quickly coming up amongst the others.

As for the OP, Its your choice really. See above. If coverage might be better then go for it. My co-worker has an EVO and likes it but complains about the battery life all the time. He totes around an extra battery because he cant make it through a day and that is why normal use. Granted I carry an extra battery around too but that is because I am a phone whore and use the thing non stop. Average use I would not need to.

Actually, I was referring more to T-Mobile. But you're right, it all depends on where you live and where you go. But seriously, OP, you are getting the most bang for your buck where you are. You get great coverage and you have unlimited data, which, pretty much nobody has anymore and you are still paying less, plus, great amounts of minutes and yearly phone upgrades(and there is still more benefits than even that). And the EVO is still top notch and it is the closest to a real 4G phone.

Last edited:

danielkogan

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Evo vs Nexus S

I'm in the same boat. Thinking about leaving Evo for Nexus S primarily for battery life and it does seem that t-mobile has better plans then sprint. The other factor is that the Evo camera really under performs. A friend of mine has a Samsung S and the 5 mega pixal far outperforms the Evo. I also never use the 4g. However, waiting for a duel chip may be the smart choice. Not easy for us phone addicts! :cool:

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I just don't like the Evo, it's too big, the screen isn't very pretty, the Sense UI means updates will take forever, and the hardware limitation is so wacky. Hell, HTC themselves said that some new update didn't get rid of the 30 FPS cap, and it actually did... I would go with the S.

uansari1

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
The Evo is a great device, so it's a touch choice. I understand what the OP is thinking though... it's hard being a phone junky and wanting to switch phones every so often.

As for carriers... AT&T was just rated the worst in the country. Personally, I've been on T-mobile for 8 years and have always had great service. Of course I stick primarily to urban areas, so that's a reason why. I would hardly call T-mobile the worst.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'd skip the Nexus S and get the evo shift 4G coming out in jan. but thats just me.

I would rather have a MT4G or G2 if switching to t-mo though. Nexus s has no sd and no 4G. Fail for me.
Sure its got its upsides, but do those out weight the faults? For me, no. No way.

The MT4G, G2, and Evo will be getting gingerbread. Guaranteed.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Well if your a phone junkie I would say that the choice is clear: go GSM. However, do NOT get AT&T. Their androids suck, as well as their service, and their customer service. T-Mobile would be your best bet if your a phone junkie because you can swap your sim card into many different phones without fees.

Also, next to verizon, it seems as though T-Mobile gets some of the best Androids. However, you do have a pretty new phone that is almost certain to get gingerbread given it's specs. I think that if you are tired with the evo then you should get the nexus. I don't think you should get rid of the evo just for gingerbread. You'd be spending a lot of money for a update that your evo will likely get fairly soon officially, or even sooner through xda.

All that being said, I am a phone junkie as well, and it is an expensive hobby. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably stay with the evo. It's a great phone, although they could have made the screen higher res.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
You can't tell someone to switch based on carrier. We don't know how his service is or how T-Mobile's is in his area. He needs to go with the provider (or stay with the provider) that has the best service. Shop for service first, then the phone. Given that he already has a awesome phone, he might as well keep it, especially since its very likely that the evo will get gingerbread.

moonspell

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
i had my lovely evo, when i decided to try this nexus s, but regret selling my evo. Don't get me wrong, the nexus s is a nice phone very responsive and sexy but for me the super amoled display is a joke, why the screen has to be too bright and the contrast way to high?
the pink turns red, the red turns purple and so forth, i'm not an iphone fan, but at least the retina display gives more natural colors and the brightness is very flexible to adjust.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
From a device stand point I prefer the EVO, but like others said it depends more on your service. I only got rid of my EVO because the monthly bill was a bit pricey for my taste. I prefer the EVO screen to any Samsung pen-tile AMOLED. The pen-tile screens just aren't as sharp to me. But I do like stock OS and fast updates on my N1 and will get the S immediately if it comes on ATT 3G.

zhodd

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I have an Evo, G2, Nexus S and an Iphone 4 on my desk (I do have a bit of a problem - but I am a developer ;0 ) - I currently really like the Nexus S as the 4 inch screen size I think is the sweet spot between the big 4.3 on the Evo and the 3.7(I think) on the G2. I do really like the G2 running the HTC Desire ROM - it has some really slick polish

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I almost hate to pick up my Evo since I got the Nexus S. The only thing the Evo has over the S is the sense contacts and dialer, and that only matters every once in a great while.

But I only know what I want, and only you know what you want.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I almost hate to pick up my Evo since I got the Nexus S. The only thing the Evo has over the S is the sense contacts and dialer, and that only matters every once in a great while.

But I only know what I want, and only you know what you want.

That's the first time I have seen a statement like that. Is it that you like Gingerbread more than Froyo or do you like the hardware of the Nexus S better?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
That's the first time I have seen a statement like that. Is it that you like Gingerbread more than Froyo or do you like the hardware of the Nexus S better?

It's both. Gingerbread just runs so much smoother, and does little things better and faster.

And when you take Samsungs CPU and screen, then match it with hardware, firmware, and OS all specc'd by Google you end up with the NS. It's perfect for me.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Go for it! The Nexus S is an awesome phone you will love it. Don't get me wrong the Evo is nice but the Nexus S is really nice. Sure it is missing some features most people would like to see but there are ways around them. Hopes this helps. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress