SIII getting LTE updated...misinformation?

Hiberny

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I was at a T-Mobile store yesterday and all of the employees insisted the SIII would be getting an update to LTE just like the Note II. I was under the impression it lacked the hardware. Isn't that why a new model passed the FCC, with new LTE hardware?

aow1980

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I was told the same thing when I bought my phone 3 weeks ago. Also was told by the tech support it would. But it seems to false from everything on the various boards.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Hiberny

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I really wish T-Mobile had informed their employees better. I seriously doubt there is an update for the SIII, but if I weren't a phone nerd I probably would have bought it right there.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
YOu have to wonder if they are confusing the T999 with the T999L. Keep in mind the current GS3 is being replaced with a GS3 variant that supports LTE..
But that is a far cry form a software update to enable it..

Hiberny

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
They said the new ones will be labled T999L and will have LTE out of the box, but that the old T999s will get an update, OTA, just like the Note II :/. They weren't vague, which is why I wondered if they could know something.

aow1980

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
It appears only time will tell which side is right in the argument. But considering my average speeds, hspa is fast enough. After all it is a phone not a gaming desktop.

Hiberny

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I tend to keep my phones for more than two years, so while LTE isn't even relevant to me now, it will be in 2016 :).

aow1980

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm beginning to feel the s3 will get lte. After looking at the threads and news articles. If you go to tmobile website and look at the note 2, S4, htc one and blackberry z10. They all are listed with the same frequency for signals.

Now tmobile could've thought about doing an lte version until they saw the spectrum they are going to use would work with the current phone. It would also explain why the have said nothing new about the T999L. But that is just my observation. Time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress