Considering tmobile

sincere11105

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I have two lines with verizon. I have a30gb and usually use 27 or so. Verizon is expensive. I hear that with T-Mobiles unlimited plan they throttle you after 5gb?

Also has the service improved in nyc? I know it won't be as good as Verizon but would like to have it serviceable.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Also has the service improved in nyc? I know it won't be as good as Verizon but would like to have it serviceable.

According to the 2nd Half 2014 Report of RootMetric T-Mobile is equal to or better than Verizon in the Tri-NY area. Both T-Mobile and Verizon both tied as winners with a score of 97.1. Verizon was just a little better for Reliability Index. T-Mobile won the Data speed and Text ranking also by a slim margin. Also, TMO is building out small cells (LTE-U) in 2015 in NYC that will be in sub-ways and stadiums that will really give it a big jump.

RootMetrics RootScore Reports

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I have two lines with verizon. I have a30gb and usually use 27 or so. Verizon is expensive. I hear that with T-Mobiles unlimited plan they throttle you after 5gb?

And if u are on the truly unlimited T-Mobile plan u don't get throttled period.

Sent from my T-Mobile Galaxy S4 🌌

mdk32014

Banned
Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I also know someone who is thinking about switching from Verizon to T Mobile. You are correct they are very expensive especially for hire data plans. I would definitely test it out. Do you know about the test drive service? They have a two lines for $100 I think right now with unlimited data and that is truly unlimited data. It is definitely worth the try. You know they also buy out your contracts right? Let us know if you switch and how you like it.

sincere11105

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I also know someone who is thinking about switching from Verizon to T Mobile. You are correct they are very expensive especially for hire data plans. I would definitely test it out. Do you know about the test drive service? They have a two lines for $100 I think right now with unlimited data and that is truly unlimited data. It is definitely worth the try. You know they also buy out your contracts right? Let us know if you switch and how you like it.

Yeah im aware of the buyouts but one of the lines are on vzw edge. Not sure how that would work.

Im glad you mentioned the test drive. Definitely worth trying.

sincere11105

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

I have vz

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Yeah im aware of the buyouts but one of the lines are on vzw edge. Not sure how that would work.

Im glad you mentioned the test drive. Definitely worth trying.

As of right now, T-Mobile isn't doing anything in regards to the edge program. You would have yo pay it off.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via the Uncarrier

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Not quite. You can leave whenever you want, they'll just revoke EIP and sent you the remainder of the device balance, plus usage charges.

Well yeah but .. technically that is the same thing. You have to pay for the device. If you don't .. it goes to collections and that phone becomes blacklisted on all carrier networks.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well yeah but .. technically that is the same thing. You have to pay for the device. If you don't .. it goes to collections and that phone becomes blacklisted on all carrier networks.

I was talking from the porting out aspect--that TMO won't hold your number hostage until you pay the phone off.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
According to the 2nd Half 2014 Report of RootMetric T-Mobile is equal to or better than Verizon in the Tri-NY area. Both T-Mobile and Verizon both tied as winners with a score of 97.1. Verizon was just a little better for Reliability Index. T-Mobile won the Data speed and Text ranking also by a slim margin. Also, TMO is building out small cells (LTE-U) in 2015 in NYC that will be in sub-ways and stadiums that will really give it a big jump.

RootMetrics RootScore Reports

First off isn't Verizon , AT&T and T-mobile being offered in subways ? I know I get service underground with my Verizon phone the same places I had t-mobile. There is quite a few places I got no service or really slow service with t-mobile. Yankees stadium area I would have full bars but speeds only around 1-3 mbps. Other places I'll just get no service inside buildings.

My highest speeds ever on speedtest though aren't the average is
Verizon: 65 mbps
AT&T: 56 Mbps
t-mobile: 39 Mbps

Now the averaged of what I got and these are all outdoor since inside I get barely any service:
Verizon: 25-30mbps
AT&T: 20-30 Mbps
T-mobile: 2-15mbps though it tended to be around 2-8 depending on area

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was talking from the porting out aspect--that TMO won't hold your number hostage until you pay the phone off.

Technically no company does this. When you go to your new carrier you port your number out .. and that is that. There is no approval from the other guy. They just charge your ETF and send you the bill like normal ... with the ETF attached.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Technically no company does this. When you go to your new carrier you port your number out .. and that is that. There is no approval from the other guy. They just charge your ETF and send you the bill like normal ... with the ETF attached.

Lol that's what I was saying, only specific to TMO. The post said you have to pay the phone off before you leave. You can leave anytime; you just have to pay the phone off when the final bill for the remaining balance comes. They can't prevent you from leaving if your phone is not paid off.

terryb99

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I posted the following in another thread, but it maybe would have fit better here;

I am a long time Verizon user. Had the same phone number since 1991. Went thru so many buyouts and mergers over the years, not sure how long Verizon's name has been on top of the bill.

I have been looking hard at T-Mobile. I currently pay for 8 gigs of data, 2 lines, both still on contract, $205 before tax. I think I am getting some kind of promo that gave me an extra 2 gigs.for a while. My average data use of the last 12 months is around 4-5 gigs, with one month a 7.5 gig peak, which is why I upgraded to 8 gigs.

T-Mobile would give me unlimited data with 5g for hotspot, unlimited International calling on both lines, ( we call Korea, Indonesia, and I work for a French based company, all 3 are on the 30 country list) plus 2 new high end phones, for 195 plus tax.They would then give me a bill credit for the 2 phones I would turn in, a Note 3 and an S5. then when I get the EFT bill from Verizon, they will send me a pre-paid Visa for that amount.

When I went to church today, I spoke to a couple that owns 2 MetroPCS stores. They warned me about Tmoble's lack of lower frequency causing bad signals in buildings, between buildings, etc. They both use Verizon, lol.

I actually have a $50 a month no contract line with TMobile for testing a Windows phone. I have noticed some signal issues at times, but I was blaming it mostly on the phone, a Nokia 925. Now, I am not so sure. I assumed living in the Seattle area, TMobile would be rock solid, being their home turf.

Am I going to sorry I switched?

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I posted the following in another thread, but it maybe would have fit better here;

I am a long time Verizon user. Had the same phone number since 1991. Went thru so many buyouts and mergers over the years, not sure how long Verizon's name has been on top of the bill.

I have been looking hard at T-Mobile. I currently pay for 8 gigs of data, 2 lines, both still on contract, $205 before tax. I think I am getting some kind of promo that gave me an extra 2 gigs.for a while. My average data use of the last 12 months is around 4-5 gigs, with one month a 7.5 gig peak, which is why I upgraded to 8 gigs.

T-Mobile would give me unlimited data with 5g for hotspot, unlimited International calling on both lines, ( we call Korea, Indonesia, and I work for a French based company, all 3 are on the 30 country list) plus 2 new high end phones, for 195 plus tax.They would then give me a bill credit for the 2 phones I would turn in, a Note 3 and an S5. then when I get the EFT bill from Verizon, they will send me a pre-paid Visa for that amount.

When I went to church today, I spoke to a couple that owns 2 MetroPCS stores. They warned me about Tmoble's lack of lower frequency causing bad signals in buildings, between buildings, etc. They both use Verizon, lol.

I actually have a $50 a month no contract line with TMobile for testing a Windows phone. I have noticed some signal issues at times, but I was blaming it mostly on the phone, a Nokia 925. Now, I am not so sure. I assumed living in the Seattle area, TMobile would be rock solid, being their home turf.

Am I going to sorry I switched?
A lot depends on where you work and live coverage wise. Honestly take advantage of test drive. They will send you a 5S to use for a week with unlimited data. You could then test everywhere with the iPhone rather than the windows phone. If it does good then you'll know the higher end androids will be as good or better because iPhone 5S is known for having weaker cell reception.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via the Uncarrier

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo