Uncarrier 12! No Data Buckets! (Updated 8/29/2016)

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
$30 x 4 = $120.
Would you be so kind to post a total of your bill like I have? 30 dollars is for your 100GB of data only . Where is the rest of your plan? I.e Talk and text mins,Taxes, Hotspot add on? If you won't?
Then please elaborate to me how my T-mobile plan is "Way overpriced".
Let talk Apples to Apples brah.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Would you be so kind to post a total of your bill like I have? 30 dollars is for your 100GB of data only . Where is the rest of your plan? I.e Talk and text mins,Taxes, Hotspot add on? If you won't?
Then please elaborate to me how my T-mobile plan is "Way overpriced".
Let talk Apples to Apples brah.
Think you're a little confused. I'm proposing an uncarrier plan. There are no uncarriers. I'm saying this is the maximum price that ought to be charged. It's based on the data charges of an unlimited plan that's truly only 100 GB, so that's the baseline. The uncarrier doesn't exist; this is the first step of what it would take for there to be one.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You know, it's nice to think that all data is the same, but as a systems and network administrator I can tell you for a fact that it isn't. And FYI the way some of you are interpreting Net Neutrality, you won't allow any sort of QoS at all, and it would be impossible to prioritize VoLTE traffic (which after all, is just data right?). Food for thought.

That's a good point. Data should be data but as a telephony service, does voice data take priority over other data?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well.. the FCC has sort of said they won't crack down Binge On ... they'll keep an eye on things, but no action. Why? I think the sticking point is choice. On the current plans, they weren't forcing customers to use Binge On, instead giving them an option to disable the service. You can debate the merits of opt-in vs opt-out, but the fact remains that the Binge On stuff is optional and can be turned off without any penalty to the user (other than the traffic counting against their data like it was before the program)

Even with these new plans... the premium version of the plan, which is unlimited LTE without forcing Binge On, is the same price as their current Simple Choice unlimited plan. The full time BingeOn plan is $25 per line cheaper. Had they gone the other way... where the forced BO plan was the same as the current UDP and got rid of the premium tier all together... well, that would be a different situation and I suspect that at this point you might see the FCC act.

Plus, so far, issues with content providers aren't all that common. There was a bit of an issue with Youtube early on, but the site is now on the list, so that's done with. And the head of Netflix has said he's pretty happy with the service as it has increased traffic from T-Mobile customers.

So what you have is an optional service that is beneficial to the consumer, T-Mobile and the content providers. The only argument against the service is a philosophical one related to the concept of Net Neutrality.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Think you're a little confused. I'm proposing an uncarrier plan. There are no uncarriers. I'm saying this is the maximum price that ought to be charged. It's based on the data charges of an unlimited plan that's truly only 100 GB, so that's the baseline. The uncarrier doesn't exist; this is the first step of what it would take for there to be one.

If you are referring to Verizon...
$30 data +$15 voice +~$4 tax =$49. That's what I am paying.

However there is a $11.99 for udp and voice.
You just need to add tax. But that requires ecpd and you need a special plan.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I'm confused about is to why you said T-Mobile is way over charging.I am 100% sure your bill is more than what I pay for, with what features come with my plan vs your plan. If your total plan is just a single line? Then times your monthly bill by 4 or whatever is comparable to my 4 line plan.

Besides, you are are comparing your legacy udp which from what I see is somewhat of a pain to keep and is no longer available. Why don't you compare current Verizon plans? I. E. Unlimited one? Oh yeah oops that's right Verizon doesn't have one. Heck, as some have stated on the Verizon side of this forum. They will keep their upd for as long as they can,even as Verizon has upped the price 20 dollars per line if they are not on contract. If ever Verizon decided to close any of the loopholes I. E. Best buy method, etc? At the least each line will go up another 20 dollars and if your a power user(+100 GB) a month? You might just lose your udp? Verizon has the best network right now across the nation. However, for where I reside and work T-Mobile up to par with the big two. T-Mobile's network is much improved here in the last 3 years and the 700MHz block of spectrum isn't even deployed here yet. T-Mobile is improving across the country from what I been reading. Also,
I would be more worried about what Verizon's next move is regarding the udp you and many others still have? It's seems Verizon wants to kill it off while on the other hand T-Mobile is trying to solidify unlimited data. You might just "Jump" over once you realize how much value you pay for" just" 100 GB and the hassle to keep it truly is in the long run?

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Well.. the FCC has sort of said they won't crack down Binge On ... they'll keep an eye on things, but no action. Why? I think the sticking point is choice. On the current plans, they weren't forcing customers to use Binge On, instead giving them an option to disable the service. You can debate the merits of opt-in vs opt-out, but the fact remains that the Binge On stuff is optional and can be turned off without any penalty to the user (other than the traffic counting against their data like it was before the program)

Even with these new plans... the premium version of the plan, which is unlimited LTE without forcing Binge On, is the same price as their current Simple Choice unlimited plan. The full time BingeOn plan is $25 per line cheaper. Had they gone the other way... where the forced BO plan was the same as the current UDP and got rid of the premium tier all together... well, that would be a different situation and I suspect that at this point you might see the FCC act.

Plus, so far, issues with content providers aren't all that common. There was a bit of an issue with Youtube early on, but the site is now on the list, so that's done with. And the head of Netflix has said he's pretty happy with the service as it has increased traffic from T-Mobile customers.

So what you have is an optional service that is beneficial to the consumer, T-Mobile and the content providers. The only argument against the service is a philosophical one related to the concept of Net Neutrality.
dpham00
Don't you have the $30.00 unlimited Hotspot add on too?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Only thing I'm confused about is to why you said T-Mobile is way over charging.I am 100% sure your bill is more than what I pay for, with what features come with my plan vs your plan. If your total plan is just a single line? Then times your monthly bill by 4 or whatever is comparable to my 4 line plan.

Besides, you are are comparing your legacy udp which from what I see is somewhat of a pain to keep and is no longer available. Why don't you compare current Verizon plans? I. E. Unlimited one? Oh yeah oops that's right Verizon doesn't have one. Heck, as some have stated on the Verizon side of this forum. They will keep their upd for as long as they can,even as Verizon has upped the price 20 dollars per line if they are not on contract. If ever Verizon decided to close any of the loopholes I. E. Best buy method, etc? At the least each line will go up another 20 dollars and if your a power user(+100 GB) a month? You might just lose your udp? Verizon has the best network right now across the nation. However, for where I reside and work T-Mobile up to par with the big two. T-Mobile's network is much improved here in the last 3 years and the 700MHz block of spectrum isn't even deployed here yet. T-Mobile is improving across the country from what I been reading. Also,
I would be more worried about what Verizon's next move is regarding the udp you and many others still have? It's seems Verizon wants to kill it off while on the other hand T-Mobile is trying to solidify unlimited data. You might just "Jump" over once you realize how much value you pay for" just" 100 GB and the hassle to keep it truly is in the long run?

My argument is not that Verizon is better than TMO, although it is approximately everywhere. But my argument is that TMO isn't good enough to get the uncarrier title.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

He may not need 4 lines so for him that could be a point that doesn't matter.. For me 4 lines doesn't matter since I don't need 4.

As for comparing plans aren't you on a grandfathered plan as well? So how can you ask him to compare current plans when you aren't yourself? Come on.. Let's be fair now :).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
All current plans and legacy plans are grossly overpriced considering they still don't meet the standards that they are labeled as. How many here are consistently getting speeds near 900 Mbps when not in congestion? How many people are with carriers that don't even ask if data is being used for the device itself or through hotspot? How many have full LTE service everywhere they have been with no dropped calls or service?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
This is the type of stuff I'm talking about: https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/lte-advanced.htm

There they go boasting again and even talking about 5G when they still don't have 4G finished and still don't cover most of the country. Yet they say, "But, equally important as our technology leadership is coverage. Today, I’m also proud to announce T-Mobile now covers nearly 312 million! That’s right. Verizon’s claimed coverage advantage is gone. We cover 99.7% of the people Verizon does". How? I know all the carriers lie about their coverage and speeds and whatnot and I am truly happy that they're working on their network, I just can't stand the boasting about it when it's all fiction.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, they play fast and loose with wording.... I mean, it all depends on what your definition of 'coverage' is. Every carrier probably uses the most loose and amorphous blob of nothing definition.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
This is the type of stuff I'm talking about: https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/lte-advanced.htm

There they go boasting again and even talking about 5G when they still don't have 4G finished and still don't cover most of the country. Yet they say, "But, equally important as our technology leadership is coverage. Today, I’m also proud to announce T-Mobile now covers nearly 312 million! That’s right. Verizon’s claimed coverage advantage is gone. We cover 99.7% of the people Verizon does". How? I know all the carriers lie about their coverage and speeds and whatnot and I am truly happy that they're working on their network, I just can't stand the boasting about it when it's all fiction.

Verizon's coverage advantage is mostly square mileage rather than POPs or users. They cover a lot of trees and prarie dogs and other places with few people in it. T-Mobile covers most of the people Verizon covers, but it's going to take them a long time to get to the same level of square mileage. Don't get me wrong, I love T-Mobile but I'm also a realist. I doubt they could do it under their current pricing structure: that's why Verizon is so expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa