AT&T Note 3: GPS Signal Lost

dave0813

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone have the problem with your GPS signal being lost? I have the most recent update but I cannot go longer the 7 minutes without the dreaded "GPS Signal is Lost". And I have tried several areas and I still have the same problem.

Any comments or suggestions or links to a common fix?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: GPS Signal Lost

Has anyone have the problem with your GPS signal being lost? I have the most recent update but I cannot go longer the 7 minutes without the dreaded "GPS Signal is Lost". And I have tried several areas and I still have the same problem.

Any comments or suggestions or links to a common fix?

Thanks in advance

Make sure that you have working data connection because GPS needs an active data connection, from my point of view the problem with you is you're data connection might not be working and because of that GPS signal gets lost. And if you are sure that you always have an active data connection than i think that its because of the recent update you have received.

bigjim71

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

I have had the same problem myself. Each time I have used the gps I would loose the signal after only a few minutes each time. I would have turn gps off and on again every few minute, very annoying . I had a good strong data signal as well. A lot of other people in the general note 3 forum are complaining about this issue as well and they all are on ATT. Could it a carrier issue, or could it be software? Who knows, Im sure well never find out cause one will keep pointing the finger at the other.

ernestojtorres

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Same issue with me in Florida. I use Waze to navigate and my GPS comes in and out. My previous cell phone was an iPhone 4 with At&t as my carrier and never lost gps signal. Is frustrating, thinking of buying a garmin to use while I travel

jabo75

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

Make sure that you have working data connection because GPS needs an active data connection, from my point of view the problem with you is you're data connection might not be working and because of that GPS signal gets lost. And if you are sure that you always have an active data connection than i think that its because of the recent update you have received.

This is absolutely false. The GPS chip in this phone works completely independent of the cellular data radio. If you don't believe me, put the phone in airplane mode then make sure the wifi and GPS are on.

The loss of GPS signal is a know issue with the AT&T flavor of this phone. I had the same issue and contacted AT&T. They admitted that there is an issue with the GPS. They sent me a replacement. I have had it for a few days. So far the replacement seems to be working.

Posted via Android Central App

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
This is a known issue. I had mine replaced by AT&T a month ago and the tech support guy told me that I was the third call that 1 day for the same issue. He said it had been happening frequently.

I haven't had problems with GPS on my replacement device, but I am now on my second replacement due to issues with the first one. Now this one seems to have battery issues. I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've heard a rumor that AT&T is coming out with an update to fix the problem (which is a software problem) "very soon".

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So the phone has been on the market for 4 months and the GPS is faulty at best and won't work at worst. Great AT&T, why is it they seem to have GPS issues the most?

usafsp

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
For the first time, yesterday, it happened to me. I've had the phone for quite some time and it's always worked using Google Maps. But yesterday, I was 5 minutes into my travel and got the dreaded message.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I flew to Omaha and got a rental car Thrifty - no GPS! I relied on my Note3 and it lost the GPS signal repeatedly. Just glad I wasn't in a tighter situation!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Mr. Blick

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just drove from Oklahoma City to Pensacola, FL over the last 2 days. Every single time data switched to 4g from LTE and back to LTE, GPS signal lost message came up. Happens with Google maps and Waze. Turning GPS off/on fixed it, but not safe to do this all the time.
Very very unhappy. Will call AT&T after I get back home.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

aegould

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I, too, made and 80 mile trip this past weekend and had the same thing happen to me. Was using my navigation software and noted that the GPS dropped EVERY time the signal went from 4G to LTE, or vice versa. It was maddening.... Am going to an iPhone 5s instead....at least Apple's chips/hardware/OS will maintain the GPS...no matter what band of cell service the device is on.....

reelon

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow this sound bad. I just finished calling with Att support because my Moto x kept dropping calls every time, they didn't have any moto x available at the moment so they are going to send me a note 3. I really do use the gps alot. I guess I will have to return the note 3 if I come up with this issue.

Mr. Blick

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Called AT&T today. Basically told me to back everything up and factory reset it. Also made mention of Kit Kat by end of the month. Kind of bummed about the rote answer but it was what I expected.
I'll probably set aside some time this weekend and try it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

usafsp

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
For the first time, yesterday, it happened to me. I've had the phone for quite some time and it's always worked using Google Maps. But yesterday, I was 5 minutes into my travel and got the dreaded message.
Thought maybe Google Maps was the issue. Downloaded and used Waze and had the same problem. On again, off again dropping of the signals. Haven't made any phone calls yet to AT&T. Hoping the Kit Kat update fixes this.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
My third replacement device is having more problems. Gps keeps flashing on and off and it loses connection just like my first one. I spent a long time on the phone with tech support the other day but he couldn't find anything wrong with my device. I am starting to lose faith.

pdqgp

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
There's a HUGE 18 page thread on AT&T's forum on this very subject. I'm at the end of my rope. I know for sure it drops when I receive or make a call or receive or send a text. Not sure if it's related to getting an email via push. Will turn my messages back to manual and see. However, it drops way too much to be acceptable for me to keep this phone as is. No way I will tolerate the BS of resetting the device, etc. as it's been this way since I bought it with nothing on it. I've seen resets done on coworkers device and it doesn't work. End that talk please AT&T.

Uselessbass

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Guys I have a galaxy s4 active on att and I have the same prob on 4.3 everytime it goes from 4g to 4glte I lose GPS my wife has the note 3 so we both got broken GPS now dam u att

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk