Bought a Bionic to compare

KWP1911

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I really like my phone, I don't like the AT&T service.

Since I have a couple of weeks yet to return the phone and end my contract with AT&T, I've signed up to get a Bionic from Verizon so I can do my own dogfight for a week or so.

Anyone else done this or is thinking about doing it?

myoo2182

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a Bionic from Verizon that I have on demo for work. It is FAST. Amazingly fast actually. Verizon service seems to destroy AT&T in terms of speed. I have had AT&T since 2000 but I am contemplating making the switch now.

Coincidentally I just got an Infuse 4g and Atrix 4g today from AT&T to demo for 30 days.. both were extremely disappointing in terms of network speed. I know LTE is faster but i thought HSPA would at least do better than my 3G iphone 4... I couldn't break 1.5MBPS download speeds even once, in 6 tests at different locations, all with full or almost full bars.

My Droid Bionic which i have until the 15th of October regularly broke 11mbps down and at its peak with full signal, I reached 25mbps down and 10mbps upload speeds. This device is blazing fast... I really want the AT&T Galaxy SII but if their "4g" network is that slow.. I dont know..

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a Bionic from Verizon that I have on demo for work. It is FAST. Amazingly fast actually. Verizon service seems to destroy AT&T in terms of speed. I have had AT&T since 2000 but I am contemplating making the switch now.

Coincidentally I just got an Infuse 4g and Atrix 4g today from AT&T to demo for 30 days.. both were extremely disappointing in terms of network speed. I know LTE is faster but i thought HSPA would at least do better than my 3G iphone 4... I couldn't break 1.5MBPS download speeds even once, in 6 tests at different locations, all with full or almost full bars.

My Droid Bionic which i have until the 15th of October regularly broke 11mbps down and at its peak with full signal, I reached 25mbps down and 10mbps upload speeds. This device is blazing fast... I really want the AT&T Galaxy SII but if their "4g" network is that slow.. I dont know..

You're comparing the networks more than phones. You're right though, Verizon is faster with LTE. But with AT&T flipping the switch on LTE now in certain markets, they are seeing the same blazing speeds. I'm assuming you're grandfathered in to AT&T Unlimited data being with since 2000. Switching now to Verizon you would be on a Tiered plan and by it's own example on website, 1hr a day of video streaming = 11+GB of data usage a month. That's ridiculous, you'd be paying Verizon watching a few movies on a 2gb plan. Unlimited is peace of mind to us that have it. And every wireless provider has its own setbacks, consumers will never be satisfied.

KWP1911

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree about the network. While sitting at home, I'm only getting 2-3mbps download and less than 1 up on the Infuse. I have to be sitting, literally, under a cell tower to get 6-7mbps download speeds.

In addition to the faster network, it won't hurt to have a faster phone with the Bionic. I also want to compare the Bionic screen to the excellent SAMOLED screen on the Infuse.

KWP1911

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Droid Bionic Wins! Took the Infuse back today.

After 2 days of comparison, here are the results:

Item Winner
Screen: Infuse
Overall Size: Infuse
Gingerbread: Bionic
Network: Bionic (no surprise to anyone about Verizon's 4G speed; also works better in my home and office)
Charging: Bionic (doesn't take nearly as long as the Infuse to charge)
Toggle Widgets: Infuse (toggle widgets for airplane mode, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS. You have to add them to the Bionic's home screen)
App size: Bionic (the app icons were unnecessarily massive on the Infuse)
Dual Core: Bionic :D
Price: Bionic (even though it's more expensive, the package from Costco with all the add ons (std dock, extra battery and chargers, case, car mount, and car charger) was a great deal!)

And last, but not least, as I was streaming Formula 1 practice from Singapore this morning on SpeedTV.com, the Infuse constantly struggled with the stream of data while the Bionic showed almost no video choppiness.

Last edited:

leeshor

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I use the Infuse on the road but when I need to get serious I power up my Verizon 4G hot spot and connect it. Best of both worlds. Plus I can connect my other phones, my ASUS Transformer and my laptop all at the same time at Verizon 4G speeds.

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I use Wifi 95% of the time (at home and at work) so its not that big an issue to me.

At one point for a couple months I lived with no data plan (had data shut off and used wifi-only) because I was fed up with paying the $30/month for it. Then I couldn't get it back when I decided I needed it on occasion for trips. So the unlimited data is not a factor.

FWIW the wifi connection problems (having to turn off wifi and back on again when arriving at home or work) I was having vanished with the last update.

Even so... during a brief 3-day outage of my home internet I used it to tether and try to use my computer via it. The browsing speed worked well enough. But I used 60% of my 2GB data cap in "normal" usage during that time. I'd hate to think how fast I'd reach the limit with a faster connection. As it was I turned it off once I got the text. And going back to normal usage it didn't get exceeded.

If I had the unlimited back I might do more things like stream pandora or spotify in my car. But its not that big a deal (my daily commute is all of 15 minutes).

At any rate locked into AT&T for 2 years. I'm happy enough with the phone. I figure by then we'll see their LTE network properly up and can make a decision then. One thing I learned from reading this site is even if you get the latest and greatest you only got a little window before something newer and shinier comes along. Unless you can afford to swap out every month, you just gotta deal with it. I suppose you could keep doing 30-day purchases endlessly unless they cap that at some point...

FWIW I get about 4-5 mbps down and 1 mpbs up on average where I live (West Palm, FL). I just ran speedtest again at my home to check and got a 4.55... so to me at least that is considerably better than I was getting on my previous 3G phones. Not that I use it much.