1.8 GB RAM available?

DanielLoreti

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site
How often should I be optimizing ram? Seems like poor ram management when I have under 2 gigs available. Is it bad to optimize ram and battery a lot?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Android is designed to keep RAM relatively full. If you constantly kill apps to "free up" RAM, you might actually be causing performance issues, because it does take a little more time and energy to reload an app into RAM. If you're not noticing any performance issues, then let the system manage RAM on its own.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I don't know if it's ram management but I noticed that the S20 Ultra is always around 3-4gb of free ram. On the N10+ I would average between 6-7gb with all the same apps.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
RAM uses the same amount of power regardless if it's full or empty. Android and other modern OS's take advantage of this by keeping your most commonly used apps loaded but dormant in the background. They are effectively paused, using no processing power, but can be quickly brought to the foreground when you want to access them. This not only allows for more efficient multitasking, but uses less power compared to initializing everything from scratch.

When you use RAM optimizing apps that arbitrarily force close apps, the OS will just re-initialize those apps again to refill the RAM. There's no way to prevent this, so those optimization apps and OS will just spend all day fighting each other, wasting battery re-loading apps only to be closed again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
RAM uses the same amount of power regardless if it's full or empty. Android and other modern OS's take advantage of this by keeping your most commonly used apps loaded but dormant in the background. They are effectively paused, using no processing power, but can be quickly brought to the foreground when you want to access them. This not only allows for more efficient multitasking, but uses less power compared to initializing everything from scratch.

When you use RAM optimizing apps that arbitrarily force close apps, the OS will just re-initialize those apps again to refill the RAM. There's no way to prevent this, so those optimization apps and OS will just spend all day fighting each other, wasting battery re-loading apps only to be closed again.

That being said, I think Samsung has been going down Huawei's path in terms of more aggressive RAM management at the firmware level, hasn't it? The main problem this causes is that apps are more likely to be killed in the background, which can be a pain if you have an app in the background that you want to continue working (like a music or podcast app, for example).

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That being said, I think Samsung has been going down Huawei's path in terms of more aggressive RAM management at the firmware level, hasn't it? The main problem this causes is that apps are more likely to be killed in the background, which can be a pain if you have an app in the background that you want to continue working (like a music or podcast app, for example).
I'm not sure how manufacturers are handling things on the OS level. If I had such an option like Samsung has, I would leave it off. If they still force close things on occasion, there's not much you can do about, but I wouldn't add to the problem by installing another management app.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
The main problem this causes is that apps are more likely to be killed in the background, which can be a pain if you have an app in the background that you want to continue working (like a music or podcast app, for example).
I agree. This is why I'm glad we now have the option to lock/pin apps we want to stay open. This is a good thing right? I used it for the first time and I like it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I agree. This is why I'm glad we now have the option to lock/pin apps we want to stay open. This is a good thing right? I used it for the first time and I like it.

I only tried it for one app, and it didn't work. When I went back to the app a few hours later it reloaded to the homepage.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I only tried it for one app, and it didn't work. When I went back to the app a few hours later it reloaded to the homepage.

That's not good. Mine stayed in place but I went back to it after only about 20 minutes. So i guess it doesn't last that long.