Anybody get their Free Google Home Mini Yet? (Update: Yes some are getting them now)

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Got mine on time, yesterday. Once again, FedEx apparently does not know a front door nor how to knock as I was home while it was delivered. Luckily, they left it the same place they left my phone so I knew where to look when I got the email saying it had been delivered. Guess I'm going to have to leave a note next time explaining to FedEx what a front door is and directions to find it on the front of the house.

wyelkins

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Ordered doesn't matter -- it is 4 weeks (or within 4) from the time you received your phone.
Yep. That is what Google is telling me. But at least I know that I will get it one day. Don't really need it. Got the Google Home. Guess I will put it in the drawer with the Free Chromecast I got with the Home.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Ordered doesn't matter -- it is 4 weeks (or within 4) from the time you received your phone.

Respectfully, the facts speak for themselves and are a little different, at least in my case., I received my pixel on October 20th, and received my mini email code on Nov 7 th, the mini shipped on the 8th, and was in my hands on the 10th

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Respectfully, the facts speak for themselves and are a little different, at least in my case., I received my pixel on October 20th, and received my mini email code on Nov 7 th, the mini shipped on the 8th, and was in my hands on the 10th
They said around 4 weeks. I doubt it's to the T.

Also is your order through Verizon? My comment is for Google orders.

FYI -- No need to say respectfully every time you disagree with one of my posts. Kind of odd to do that...

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
I guess Project Fi buyers don't get one. I ordered on 10/4 and got the phone on 10/19. Nary an email yet.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anybody get their Free Google Home Mini Yet?

The Pixel knows if a home is answering the request and therefore won't respond to the request so you don't end up having two devices actually answer.

I mean this with no disrespect...but it is wrong unless mine is defective...I use a normal or even on the low side...but unless I whisper to my phone, the Google Mini always answers!

It is 30' away in the kitchen and I am in the living room with walls in between and unless I whisper the Mini answers which makes it useless and the biggest reason I'll stick with my echo's and dots. I prefer my phone to answer my queries.

Now if the Mini is supposed to do this? That is not good working solution. The worst case was when I voice dialed from 30" away and the freaking mini made the call!!

So am I the only one? Or is this the case with everyone with a Pixel 2 XL or a Google phone with assistant?

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Got mine on time, yesterday. Once again, FedEx apparently does not know a front door nor how to knock as I was home while it was delivered. Luckily, they left it the same place they left my phone so I knew where to look when I got the email saying it had been delivered. Guess I'm going to have to leave a note next time explaining to FedEx what a front door is and directions to find it on the front of the house.

Sign up thru Fedex (A link is in the delivery email) and you can leave standing directions on where to deliver...Backdoor, frontdoor etc. Then at least 1 in 10 deliveries they actually listen to your directions LOL...If my package fits in my mailbox, that is where they always leave it...Lazy bstards...

If the package is too large for the mailbox, they put it on my back deck where I requested things to be left.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
delivery people are yo-yos. I have a nice pillar on my porch that if they put it behind the pillar it is hidden from view from the street. Yet more than half the time they leave it right at my front door which can be seen easily from the street

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

I mean this with no disrespect...but it is wrong unless mine is defective...I use a normal or even on the low side...but unless I whisper to my phone, the Google Mini always answers!

It is 30' away in the kitchen and I am in the living room with walls in between and unless I whisper the Mini answers which makes it useless and the biggest reason I'll stick with my echo's and dots. I prefer my phone to answer my queries.

Now if the Mini is supposed to do this? That is not good working solution. The worst case was when I voice dialed from 30" away and the freaking mini made the call!!

So am I the only one? Or is this the case with everyone with a Pixel 2 XL or a Google phone with assistant?
So it sounds like it's working just as I explained :)

The Pixel isn't responding to your request because it's detected a home is taking the request and it's the home that responds.

However yes, this can be an issue if you want your phone to respond to assistant instead of the home. Unfortunately in those cases, when you are in earshot of a home you'll need to engage assistant in a different way on the phone if you want the phone to respond.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

So it sounds like it's working just as I explained :)

The Pixel isn't responding to your request because it's detected a home is taking the request and it's the home that responds.

However yes, this can be an issue if you want your phone to respond to assistant instead of the home. Unfortunately in those cases, when you are in earshot of a home you'll need to engage assistant in a different way on the phone if you want the phone to respond.

Yeah and I thought about that as I posted, you do say the mini will respond, not the closest device as the dots and echos do (Most of the time). It is just a royal pain not to use voice commands on my phone because I own a Mini...It is almost unusable...Which is a shame because it responds more accurately and quicker than the amazon devices.(Even from 30')

It just seems like deal breaker...How are multiple Homes and minis determining which one answers? That technology should work for a phone as well.

And just as a note tho this sounds like a 1st world problem...My wife is stuck in a wheelchair and voice commands are how she contacts me, turns on lights and changes house temps, giving her some independence. So these things are the greatest inventions for a household like ours.:cool:

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Yeah and I thought about that as I posted, you do say the mini will respond, not the closest device as the dots and echos do (Most of the time). It is just a royal pain not to use voice commands on my phone because I own a Mini...It is almost unusable...Which is a shame because it responds more accurately and quicker than the amazon devices.(Even from 30')

It just seems like deal breaker...How are multiple Homes and minis determining which one answers? That technology should work for a phone as well.
When it comes to multiple homes it does very well in determining the closest one and only that one responding. I've tested with two in the same room.

I suppose their thought with having a home respond over the phone regardless of proximity is if one has their phone always on them (like in a pocket) but want to use the home. They definitely need to work on that or allow options to how that behavior works.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
delivery people are yo-yos. I have a nice pillar on my porch that if they put it behind the pillar it is hidden from view from the street. Yet more than half the time they leave it right at my front door which can be seen easily from the street

That would drive me insane. I mean it's common sense! Then again, it's not their box....so they couldn't care less.

anon(8547461)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I apparently won't be getting one because I returned my original pre-order because it was defective. I have a replacement but since that was not ordered until after the pre order period they will not honor the offer. Needless to say I'm not happy and have complained.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I apparently won't be getting one because I returned my original pre-order because it was defective. I have a replacement but since that was not ordered until after the pre order period they will not honor the offer. Needless to say I'm not happy and have complained.

I don't blame you...I think they should honor it in your case but it's just my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick